Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Feargus Urquhart talks Pillars of Eternity 2 at Polygon

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Standard. Industry. Practice.

You're not a shitposter, you already know why this would be standard. industry. practice. Development leaves you with plenty of things you knew you could have done better and would like to change the next time round, stories you'd like to pursue.

Oh wait! But if they're talking about the second game already that must mean they're not planning to get any feedback once the game is released! Jesus Christ!
Standard industry practice is to assign people to another project, maybe an expansion, but not a sequel already, unless you're talking about companies milking franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed...

I mean, c'mon.... they don't even know how the reception will be, what people will like or hate, if the game will sell or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Standard industry practice is to assign people to another project, maybe an expansion, but not a sequel already

Sorry, but I think Tigranes is right here. They even had people assigned to Alpha Protocol 2 FFS. And what do you know, it turns out that even in the old days, work on Van Buren may have started early enough that even Tim Cain was involved with it for a short while.

The professionals like to get preproduction rolling on sequels as early as possible.

Weasel
It'll be interesting to see how a PoE2 kickstarter does. Obviously funding for sequels always lacks the hype and excitement of "we want to make games like that again", but in this case they'll also have to go from name dropping the likes of BG,IWD,Torment to referencing the first PoE. Seems like a bigger change than, for example, the Shadowrun guys going from referencing an old SNES game to their new titles. The PoE campaign was vague enough to be all things to all people, but the development has been pretty polarising between those who wanted gameplay very close to IE and those who wanted changes. So no grognard $s for Sawyer, but perhaps the grognard $s are insignificant. Guess we'll find out.

I'm still hoping they'll kickstart a TB Pathfinder RPG with Tim Cain running the show. Now that would be worthy of a megathread of sperging.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but in this case they'll also have to go from name dropping the likes of BG,IWD,Torment to referencing the first PoE.

Well, they can also reference BG2. "PoE2: This Time We Have Mage Duels".

Or Arcanum! "PoE2: 200 Years Later".

:slamdunk:

covr

Prophet
Patron
I won't be surprised if a Kickstarter for POE2/POE1 expansion will be launched at the March 26th. Let's say that you know that beginning of your game is great and rest is mediocre. Like DivOS. And only 2% of players will finish the game. Until the end of March players are under impression that whole game is great and they are generously pledging for next project. Maybe there is a starting screen reminding them that they can help to fund next project, maybe there is some powerful item that can be used only in expansion/sequel... the possibilities are endless and tasty.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70276-eternity-2-being-talked-about-already/?p=1565569
Adam Brennecke said:
Any talk of a sequel have been no more than a few discussions in a couple of meetings. Feargus and the project leads of the teams plan where people are going after Pillars is done for staffing/hiring needs across the entire company. No one is actively working on it, and this is standard for every project that is winding down.

It would be a shame if they actually did scrap the new IP -- didn't Tim Cain also tweet at some point last year (or was it even back in 2013) that he's toying around with some scifi game. I don't think I'll be backing anything fantasy in a good while, not unless it does somethinjg absolutely remarkable.

Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
I want another generic rip off of D&D with command and conquer level of immersion.
Sign me up!!!

My body is ready I just downloaded the virus from EA to warm on some C&C.

himmy

Arcane
Adam Brennecke said:
Any talk of a sequel have been no more than a few discussions in a couple of meetings. Feargus and the project leads of the teams plan where people are going after Pillars is done for staffing/hiring needs across the entire company. No one is actively working on it, and this is standard for every project that is winding down.

So it's basically the most sensible decision a boss could do, rather than wait until the hangover from the launch party wears off to start telling people what project they will work on next, yet people here act like old people that think Obsidian is a sweatshop that wants to steal your money with this Kickstarter (more like Obamastarter, amiright?) and churns 20 identical games per year, LIKE THEY DO IN RUSSIA!

bloodlover

Arcane
I mean, c'mon.... they don't even know how the reception will be, what people will like or hate, if the game will sell or not.

Given how fast it raised money, the crew behind it and the confidence of backers, I'd say the reception is already settled. Not even counting all mainstream sites that will give it 9/10.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I won't be surprised if a Kickstarter for POE2/POE1 expansion will be launched at the March 26th. Let's say that you know that beginning of your game is great and rest is mediocre. Like DivOS. And only 2% of players will finish the game. Until the end of March players are under impression that whole game is great and they are generously pledging for next project. Maybe there is a starting screen reminding them that they can help to fund next project, maybe there is some powerful item that can be used only in expansion/sequel... the possibilities are endless and tasty.
I dont think so. Obsidian are a lot more experienced and talented developers then Larian. I m sure POE will become a timeless classic. The main concern however is why would they need to use a kickstarter for a second time. Easy money?????

hiver

Kickstarter has two purposes, one is to get additional funds (PoE, OS, W2, etc type of games) or even all of the funds (others) - and to get a good marketing pulse - visibility.

Given how fast it raised money, the crew behind it and the confidence of backers, I'd say the reception is already settled. Not even counting all mainstream sites that will give it 9/10.
Pretty much.

And why would they beat around the bush with an expansion or whatever when that would just prolong an inevitable sequel that would be done anyway?

Rake

Arcane
And why would they beat around the bush with an expansion or whatever when that would just prolong an inevitable sequel that would be done anyway?
Because they already promished this and many people (including me) have already paid for it. So Feargus has no choice in the matter.

Athelas

Arcane
The point of kickstarter for Obsidian was to fund new IP's.
I believe the point was primarily to make money. PoE wasn't the most original IP to begin with.

I wonder what implications a Kickstarter for PoE 2 has for the project Avellone is working on.

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Part of the reason was also so they had their own IP, could do what they wanted with it, and didn't have to deal with licensing.

I'm super curious about Avellone's current kickstarter work too. I assumed it was Pathfinder crpg, but I'm doubting it now.

hiver

Because they already promised this and many people (including me) have already paid for it. So Feargus has no choice in the matter.
No, i meant it like why would they not talk about doing the sequel and concentrate only on expansions. I didnt mean it to sound like "at the expense of expansions" and i think they and Feargus just confirmed they will be doing expansions and other stuff for PoE.

Bulba

Learned
Seems like Feargus didn't have faith in their pitch for a new IP. Guess PoE has already become a brand.

The plan was for a franchise from the very beginning, some Infinitron robot somewhere can dig up quotes if they'd like, but it's been stated numerous times.

Which... obviously makes sense? You know, let's use the assets, rules and engine work developed in one game to create a bigger and better game? Like, I don't know, BG2?

Last we heard though, Obsidian wanted to use Kickstarter for new IPs and base sequels off profits from games in that series. So best guess at this point is that preorders are not going well and Obsidian are concerned about sales.

yeah american logic - bad sales=sequel ! dunno the rest of the world does the opposite....

hiver

Oh boy.
Standard. Industry. Practice.

You're not a shitposter, you already know why this would be standard. industry. practice.
One thing... We all know Felipepepe is the last around here that should be spoken to with that word included in the sentence. He is of course not, you know he is not so... why use that word when addressing him, asshole?

Tigranes

Arcane
You're confusing me, hiver, you're supposed to just call me a Rabelasian fountain of shit, not throw in random nonsense arguments. We can't have people straying from their genre, you know.

Anyway, I'd just like to sustain the illusion that the Codex is not as stupid kneejerk as some of the other places for as long as I can. Too often (not talking about felipepepe now) half the posts are basically "Talking about expansion packs? OMG CLEARLY THAT MEANS NO SEQUEL" "Avellone had some stuff cut? JOSH SAWYER MUST HATE HIM" "They are releasing a game early? THEY MUST BE OUT OF MONEY AND GOING BANKRUPT" etc. etc. If devs/publishers were actually reading the Codex their lesson from that would be, don't straight talk with them and tell them the truth, it'll create stupid misunderstandings just like factory generated PR does too.

In this case, it's obvious that (1) they are working on expansion packs which were promised in the KS pitch and, I would remind you, most Codexians loved the idea; (2) they had already mentioned the idea of a sequel as well, and for aforementioned reasons it's nice to start early on sketching some ideas; (3) Obsidian has already said they'd like to avoid going to KS for every project and they'd like POE franchise to pay for itself, and this apparently has not changed; (4) none of this has any necessary bearing on the possible fate of a new IP KS, which I'd love to see.

Weasel
(3) Obsidian has already said they'd like to avoid going to KS for every project and they'd like POE franchise to pay for itself, and this apparently has not changed.

Really?

Feargus said:
He said the team needs to have a reason for going to Kickstarter for money, not just a request for more money.

"So we need to start talking about Eternity 2 so we can say we would like you to back us so we can do these things."

hiver

You're confusing me, hiver, you're supposed to just call me a Rabelasian fountain of shit, not throw in random nonsense arguments. We can't have people straying from their genre, you know.
Nah, i see right through you.

You will get called what you deserve to be called, after you deserve it. Just the same as everyone else.
You may try to maintain that illusion that i just flip off on people for no reason but thats nothing true and you know it. Hypocrisy isnt going to help you.

as ad hominems wont help to try and avoid your assholery.

- Codex is not as stupid kneejerk as some of the other places for as long as I can.
- it is, as much as Obsidian forums. You might want to remind the shits there about their proclamations how development went into "bugs only - not touching anything else!!" after they read this latest update.
Or i will... if i force myself to log in again.

Blah, blah, blah look at me jumping to another goal post blah, blah, blah...
- i wasnt talking about any of that and you can see i posted and think the same as you as far as that is concerned.

I was clearly criticizing your use of word shitposter when talking to Feliepepepe - although you know very well its not applicable and even say so.
Its the logic failure and oxymoronity of it all that irks me.
Especially since you try to present yourself as one of the "gentlemanly purists" in discussions. Although we all know very well those pretenses go so far.

Tigranes

Arcane
You always saw right through me, hiver. You were the only one. You're right I shouldn't call felipepepe a shitposter, it was scandalous that I told him "You are not a shitposter".

Zorba the Hutt I saw that bit then I forgot I saw it. The failures of the brain, huh. Yeah, I'd be disappointed if POE couldn't sell enough to fund POE2 on its own. Even if they mean a top-up KS, I'd prefer a new IP for the KS.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem with KickStarter is that its become a phenomenal marketing tool. The fact that it basically guarantees your investment with the money of consumers is just icing on the cake; Obsidian might be able to survive without that, but the sheer amount of attention it gets them from the press is hard to resist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom