Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Feargus Urquhart talks Pillars of Eternity 2 at Polygon

Apexeon

Arcane
If its POE2 will the floating arches quietly arda out of here?

Or can floating arches be a stretch goal please.

Wizfall

Cipher
Surprising to learn that a PoE2 is already planned but very happy about it.
So much to gain to build another game with the same engine, it's exactly why i want developer to do instead of always switching and wasting all the experience accumulated.
Like others i would have like another setting but if PoE1 is BG1 and PoE2 is BG2 :bounce:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Seriously? They guys haven't even finished the first game and seen the feedback and already are talking about new game systems and things they want to do? Da fuck?
Dude, this is how it works. They need to have a game to work on the second this one ships. If they have an entire company sitting around waiting for feedback for 3 months before they even start conceptualizing the second, they've wasted millions of dollars.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There are various other projects ongoing at Obsidian ATM that they could work on. Not to mention expansions for PoE. Or a new game.

Immediately jumping on PoE 2 before 1 even shipped sounds a bit like a rush to make another slam dunk.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There are various other projects ongoing at Obsidian ATM that they could work on. Not to mention expansions for PoE. Or a new game.

Immediately jumping on PoE 2 before 1 even shipped sounds a bit like a rush to make another slam dunk.

It's not the first time i see that, but boy are you really obtuse when there's something you don't want to understand... :negative:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I understood, but that doesn't mean I like it. I think it's a dumb PR move, people haven't even played your game yet and you're already talking about how you want to add new stuff to the next one... makes it sound like PoE is just a stepping stone, not something you're really happy with.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Seriously? They guys haven't even finished the first game and seen the feedback and already are talking about new game systems and things they want to do? Da fuck?
Dude, this is how it works. They need to have a game to work on the second this one ships. If they have an entire company sitting around waiting for feedback for 3 months before they even start conceptualizing the second, they've wasted millions of dollars.
Absolutely. But it's a different thing entirely to crowdfund the sequel to an unreleased game.

They'll probably start working on Eternity 2 with scraps and then crowdfund it a month or so after PoE's release.

Cosmo

Arcane
I understood, but i'm still gonna repeat one more time the very things that show that i didn't.

Sorry, but there is nothing to interpret or to read into, because that's standard practice. Everyone does it, that's objectively a fact, and none of your opinions or subjective takes on the subject will change that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Like Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sorry, but there is nothing to interpret or to read into, because that's standard practice. Everyone does it, that's objectively a fact, and none of your subjective opinions will change that.
Everyone does it? Really? "We gonna ship Skyrim next month, but oh man, there's so much stuff we wanted to add we couldn't, just you wait for the sequel!" You are doing nothing but downplaying your current release.

Not even EA or Ubisoft do things like this, and they are used to release sequels like here's no tomorrow. Yes, they may do it internally, but announcing it to the four winds sends all kinds of bad messages.

Like Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2?
Did BG1 or F1 came with a flyer saying "this game is ok, but on the sequel we'll really do what we wanted to do!".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did BG1 or F1 came with a flyer saying "this game is ok, but on the sequel we'll really do what we wanted to do!".

As far as I'm concerned they did. :cool:

This is another trial balloon. Better to get all the angst out of the way now than when the Kickstarter campaign starts.

Cosmo

Arcane
announcing it to the four winds sends all kinds of bad messages.

Says the only one seeing a bad message. You'll just have to accept that Obsidian employees (and owners) have a history of having trouble keeping their mouth shut.
They lack corporate mentality, basically, not particularly a bad thing in my book.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
announcing it to the four winds sends all kinds of bad messages.

Says the only one seeing a bad message. You'll just have to accept that Obsidian employees (and owners) have a history of having trouble keeping their mouth shut.
They lack corporate mentality, basically, not particularly a bad thing in my book.

Case in point: felipepe complaining that Obsidian isn't Bethesda, EA or Ubisoft

:troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know I prefer honesty to Bethesda/Bioware-style "all our games are perfect until we're working on a sequel where we'll talk about how trash the predecessor was"

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The impression I got from the Feargus interview was that the people working on PoE were just keeping notes "cool idea, not enough time, maybe sequel?" And that was about it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Can someone give me a run-down of everything that Obsidian has in the works at the moment, both known and alleged? I haven't followed everything.

I know that they generally have three projects going at the same time, due to their size. So if we count Pillars of Eternity as one, that still leaves two others right? One is presumably a new IP/Kickstarter, possibly with Avellone at the lead. The other would be...maybe something with a standard publisher? IIRC Feargus said he still wants to do AAA games.

They're also "assisting" on some other things, right? Some Wheel of Time thing? Also I'd forgotten about the World of Tanks. Anything else?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone give me a run-down of everything that Obsidian has in the works at the moment, both known and alleged? I haven't followed everything.

I know that they generally have three projects going at the same time, due to their size. So if we count Pillars of Eternity as one, that still leaves two others right? One is presumably a new IP/Kickstarter, possibly with Avellone at the lead. The other would be...maybe something with a standard publisher? IIRC Feargus said he still wants to do AAA games.

They're also "assisting" on some other things, right? Some Wheel of Time thing? Also I'd forgotten about the World of Tanks. Anything else?

There is no Wheel of Time thing.

Go here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-discussion-thread.84849/page-73#post-3736339

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I bet Feargus is regretting mentioning this offhand to a journalist as part of an interview. I'd guarantee he didn't expect it to get its own article and pages of discussion.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I bet Feargus is regretting mentioning this offhand to a journalist as part of an interview. I'd guarantee he didn't expect it to get its own article and pages of discussion.

Trial balloons are great; overwhelmingly negative feedback saves you from making huge mistakes like disastrous waste-of-time Kickstarter campaigns.

Though I dunno if the response to this could be considered as such.

Deleted member 7219

Storm of Zehir is the only Obsidian game I've never bothered to play.

Mask of the Betrayer made me really excited about what was coming next. I was massively disappointed to find it was a IWD inspired game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom