Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feature Suggestions & Requests - Handled

Endarire

Scholar
Also also, thank you to everyone else who has contributed to ToEE, Co*, Temple+! Again, alleluia!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
May we have a house rule to allow blue circle highlighting of unseen enemies? That was fun for me my last time through!
After I went to all that trouble :lol: But sure, I'll toss it under Lax Rules.

Also, THANK YOU to Sitra and Etharil for programming fixes and enhancements to ToEE! It's wonderful that someone is finishing this game and engine over 10 years after its seeming abandonment! Alleluia!
That would be Pugmeister...

deuxhero

Arcane
Would it be simple to disable multi-class XP penalties as a houserule?

I can find multiple threads asking if anyone bothered with these, and none of them could find a single group that did.

Added as part of Lax Rules for 1.0.30

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Would it be simple to disable multi-class XP penalties as a houserule?

I can find multiple threads asking if anyone bothered with these, and none of them could find a single group that did.
Disabling things is usually easy :) Done for next version as part of Lax Rules.

Jabberjaw

Literate
Another thing that sorta bugs me, as a first time through the game player (aside from the occasional mis-click during pausing), is the fact that I have to exit the game to check online somewhere which classes NPCs who level up in my party are (so I can then level them up "correctly" on their behalf).

I realise the game is designed to add some mystery by hiding the levels of the NPCs, but surely even a character with WIS 3/INT 3 would pretty easily realise what class someone is simply by the clothes and items they are wearing. Eg. "Grog see lady with purple robe, pointy hat, magic stick, scary book, pocket full of herbs, and strange kitty-cat... but Grog can no comprende what she do...!"

So, another recommendation I think may be helpful would be an option to allow the display of either the class AND/OR the class/level of NPCs in the "House Rules" tab (or perhaps even the more radical additional option of making all NPC stats visible) - particularly given that all of it is already available online anyway (except of course for their current in-game level) or familiar to those replaying the game.

SwingBlade

Educated
Another thing that sorta bugs me, as a first time through the game player (aside from the occasional mis-click during pausing), is the fact that I have to exit the game to check online somewhere which classes NPCs who level up in my party are (so I can then level them up "correctly" on their behalf).

I realise the game is designed to add some mystery by hiding the levels of the NPCs, but surely even a character with WIS 3/INT 3 would pretty easily realise what class someone is simply by the clothes and items they are wearing. Eg. "Grog see lady with purple robe, pointy hat, magic stick, scary book, pocket full of herbs, and strange kitty-cat... but Grog can no comprende what she do...!"

So, another recommendation I think may be helpful would be an option to allow the display of either the class AND/OR the class/level of NPCs in the "House Rules" tab (or perhaps even the more radical additional option of making all NPC stats visible) - particularly given that all of it is already available online anyway (except of course for their current in-game level) or familiar to those replaying the game.

What you want to do is enable the Transparent NPCs option under House Rules in the Temple+ configurator. It pretty much does exactly what you're asking.

2Lpy4UB.png

YIUW2KZ.png

Last edited:

Jabberjaw

Literate
Great - wish I had realised that earlier! Good suggestion but already implemented... so thanks for setting me straight. Guess it's all part of the learning curve... but TBH I have avoided all the House Rules on this first play through in order to try and get an "original experience" - guess that is kinda hard since the original game was, how to best put it - buggy and bugged to buggery [I did try to play a few years ago but my all my save-games were TPK'ed in the Earth Temple and the negative online content at that time persuaded me not to retry the game]. Fortunately, it seems that the Temple+ mod (layered over CO8's extensive work) is now setting a new standard for the game's base experience! Hence my return to the game and attraction to this forum.

Anyway, with regards to the rule then, if I click this, what does it show besides what it clearly says? I assume "critters" refers to those monsters/summons/familiars etc in game attached to the party? From memory, enemy HPs are clearly visible too, so this makes everything on the screen have visible damage/HPs then?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Great - wish I had realised that earlier! Good suggestion but already implemented... so thanks for setting me straight. Guess it's all part of the learning curve... but TBH I have avoided all the House Rules on this first play through in order to try and get an "original experience" - guess that is kinda hard since the original game was, how to best put it - buggy and bugged to buggery [I did try to play a few years ago but my all my save-games were TPK'ed in the Earth Temple and the negative online content at that time persuaded me not to retry the game]. Fortunately, it seems that the Temple+ mod (layered over CO8's extensive work) is now setting a new standard for the game's base experience! Hence my return to the game and attraction to this forum.

Anyway, with regards to the rule then, if I click this, what does it show besides what it clearly says? I assume "critters" refers to those monsters/summons/familiars etc in game attached to the party? From memory, enemy HPs are clearly visible too, so this makes everything on the screen have visible damage/HPs then?
Enemy HPs are not visible without Transparent NPC stats, except a as rough indication (Unscathed / Wounded / etc.).

Jabberjaw

Literate
Cool - so if I want to see the stats for my NPCs (which is what I wanted), I can only do this by also revealing monster HPs too (which I sorta didn't really want)? Not being familiar with the rationale behind combining these, or the programming burden involved in altering them, would it be unreasonable then to ask for two separate check-boxes for these 2 things then?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Cool - so if I want to see the stats for my NPCs (which is what I wanted), I can only do this by also revealing monster HPs too (which I sorta didn't really want)? Not being familiar with the rationale behind combining these, or the programming burden involved in altering them, would it be unreasonable then to ask for two separate check-boxes for these 2 things then?
I'm loathe to clutter the House Rules panel with too many options, but if you want that level of granularity you can edit the templeplus.ini file (set showExactHPforNPCs=false).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Request: Show arcane spell failure roll for armor in roll history.
Fun fact: ToEE already had code to add the roll result to the history log, they just forgot to display it... fixed for next version.

Last edited:

Jabberjaw

Literate
I'm loathe to clutter the House Rules panel with too many options, but if you want that level of granularity you can edit the templeplus.ini file (set showExactHPforNPCs=false).
Great - thanks for the edit advice - went in and altered as suggested. Not a perfect fix, since loading my save shows Fruella my NPC lost her mouse hover HP info, but her current HPs are still visible in the avatar in the bottom left (and the nearby monster is back to generic descriptions of health). I appreciate your willingness to provide suggestions in real time here!!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Could you possibly add those in the future, as well as rune spells maybe? :)

I mentioned before my suggestions for implementing the Wall spells. (Use a radial menu selector for \ | / - versions.)

Good news, the UI now supports Wall spells, no shitty workarounds necessary either :)

upload_2016-10-31_7-41-11.png

On that note, fucking Troika just had to make a duplicate of the Glibness spell in the same slot as Wall of Fire! Grrr!

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
How exactly does the implementation of the wall spell work now? Will it rotate according to the direction from your caster?

Also, I noticed 3 wall spell particle effects in the game already, what spells have you implemented if any?

Endarire

Scholar
Does this mean enemy casters will also use wall spells? (Please let them!)

Knightly

Literate
Bardic music already has that, right?

If my memory serves it shows on sub selection not on Bardic Music tab... i.e. Inspire Courage (1/4)

Yup I would love a similar thing for Turn Undead as well.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
How exactly does the implementation of the wall spell work now? Will it rotate according to the direction from your caster?

Also, I noticed 3 wall spell particle effects in the game already, what spells have you implemented if any?
Placing a wall spell is a two stage affair: first you select the start point, then the end point. Simple and intuitive!
I'll also add ring mode later on for Wall of Fire, and you'll be able to cycle the mode with the scrollwheel.

I'm currently working on Wall of Fire, still have to integrate it into the AoE event system and also create the particle systems with the correct orientation. Also still have to integrate it with pathfinding blockage for barrier walls.
Speaking of which, stupid question but does Wall of Force actually block creatures from passing?

I assume there is a limit on how long walls can be?

D20srd says wall of force blocks material and ethereal creatures from passing through.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

Placing a wall spell is a two stage affair: first you select the start point, then the end point. Simple and intuitive!
I'll also add ring mode later on for Wall of Fire, and you'll be able to cycle the mode with the scrollwheel.

I'm currently working on Wall of Fire, still have to integrate it into the AoE event system and also create the particle systems with the correct orientation. Also still have to integrate it with pathfinding blockage for barrier walls.
Speaking of which, stupid question but does Wall of Force actually block creatures from passing?

I assume there is a limit on how long walls can be?

D20srd says wall of force blocks material and ethereal creatures from passing through.

I don't know I missed that after reading it three times :P

Naturally walls just had to have non-standard and non-uniform rules on length :roll: For the most part though maximum length shouldn't be a concern so I'll just leave it as Medium (as in range specification) for now.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I'd very much like a house rule that favored class penalties to EXP don't exist. (If it's in the game already, I haven't noticed.) Favored class penalties are a major reason that Humans are the best ToEE race. (The skill point per level and bonus feat @1 are other very big bonuses.)

Already added to 1.0.30 as part of Lax Rules actually, forgot to note it in the changelog.

Dercik

Novice
Disable opening vignette alignment requirement
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but it doesn't make sense that you have to create characters within one group of alignments, but can potentially recruit NPC with any alignment.
Added as HR in 1.0.30

Last edited by a moderator:

Endarire

Scholar
Zel: I call you a genius (and therefore non-idiot). I too want to know this.

Jimes: I am also interested in accessing the hidden deities at character creation.

Sitra: Considering how many things we've suggested here, the queue for items is understandably long. Is it notably longer than whatever was suggested in this thread?

Elestan

Educated
Considering how many things we've suggested here, the queue for items is understandably long. Is it notably longer than whatever was suggested in this thread?

I've probably emailed him 30-40 issues as I've been playing my first game.

Endarire

Scholar
Options Anywhere
I would like the ability to access the options menu (that's presently available from the title screen menu only) from in-game. This would allow changing of options such as volume, brightness, and concurrent turns.

Endarire

Scholar
Elestan: Amen! (Agreed!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom