Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feature Suggestions & Requests

Black

Arcane
Aight, I'll keep updating this post with feats that I'd like to see, low or high level.
For now:
(Improved) Grapple

UPDATE!!

• Divine Might - DONE
  • Reckless Offense - DONE
  • Knock-Down - This is now a Deity-only feat (probably because it's OP as fuck?)
    • Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15.
    • Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target.
      • Does that mean you are exposed to a counter attempt automatically?
  • Superior Expertise - DONE
  • Deadly Precision DONE
    • Dex 15, base attack bonus +5. (and Sneak Attack, no?)
    • Reroll any result of 1 on your sneak attack’s extra damage dice. You must keep the result of the reroll, even if it is another 1.
  • Persistent Spell
    • Prerequisite Extend Spell.
    • A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
      • I hope there's room left in the metamagic packet
  • Improved Disarm - DONE
    • Int 13, Combat Expertise.
    • You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to disarm an opponent, nor does the opponent have a chance to disarm you. You also gain a +4 bonus on the opposed attack rollyou make to disarm your opponent.
      • Implement Disarm action - shouldn't be too hard. Also I like that you can steal weapons this way, could make for an interesting prison break scenario tool. Although gotta be careful about "monster weapon" items that you're not supposed to be able to loot.
    • Fighter bobnus feat, Monk bonus feat at 6th level
  • Improved Sunder
  • Power Critical
  • When using the weapon you selected, you gain a +4 bonus on the roll to confirm a threat.
    • You can gain Power Critical multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it may be with a different weapon or the same weapon. If you take it with the same weapon, the effects of the feats stack.
      • Requires a new multi-select dialogue, and creating a collection of "Power Attack: X" feats - annoying!
    • Fighter bonus feat
  • Improved Overrun
    • Str 13, Power Attack.
    • When you attempt to overrun an opponent, the target may not choose to avoid you. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to knock down your opponent.
    • Fighter bonus feat
      • Requires implementing Overrun action
  • Improved Shield Bash
    • Shield Proficiency.
    • When you perform a shield bash, you may still apply the shield’s shield bonus to your AC.
      • Requires implementing Shield Bash. Could be a bit tricky since it might require altering a lot of functions that only look at the main and offhand slots, whereas shields have their own slot.
    • Fighter bonus feat
  • Hold the Line
    • Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +2.
    • AOO against a charging opponent who enters an area you threaten. Your AOO happens immediately before the charge attack is resolved.
      • Tricky - requires implementing a new trigger type
Epics:
Sneak Attack of Opportunity

I think those are all that I can think of, especially since I mostly roll with rogues and fighters. I have no idea about bards.
Didn't know whether to bother with epic feats, are you planning on adding content that'd make adding epic feats worthwhile?

Last edited by a moderator:

gazra

Educated
I'd like to see the following changes implemented in TemplePlus (to make the computer game comply with D&D 3.5):

a level 11+ monk's Diamond Body special ability works. Already Implemented in Co8 / Moebius

a level 12+ monk's Abundant Step special ability works.

a level 16+ monk's Quivering Palm special ability works. DONE (v1.0.7)

a level 19+ monk's Empty Body special ability works. DONE (v1.0.6)

a level 20+ monk's Perfect Self special ability works. DONE (v1.0.6)

a barbarian's Damage Reduction continues to improve above barbarian level 10. DONE

a level 11+ barbarian's Greater Rage special ability works. DONE

a level 15+ barbarian's Indomitable Will special ability works. DONE

a level 17+ barbarian's Tireless Rage special ability works. DONE

a level 20+ barbarian's Mighty Rage special ability works. DONE

a level 11+ ranger's Combat Style Mastery special ability works. DONE

the rogue's Crippling Strike special ability does 2 Strength damage. Fixed

fix the rogue's bugged Opportunist special ability (it currently only works once and then never works again). Fixed (v1.0.18)

the rogue Opportunist special ability only works if the target is DAMAGED by a melee attack in a round (it currently works if the target is HIT by a melee attack even if that attack does not damage the target).

the number of commanded undead is limited by double the cleric's level.

druid levels and half of the ranger level (if ranger level > 4) don't stack for the purposes of determining available animal companions for multiclass druid/rangers.

the spell Haste doesn't stack with itself. Fixed (v1.0.10)

prone critters (characters) can attack.

-2 penalty to Attack rolls when a tower shield is wielded.

glaives, longspears & ranseurs are unable to hit opponents only 5 feet away.

1.5x Strength Modifier bonus to damage when both a buckler and a 2-handed weapon are wielded. Fixed (v1.0.9)

tumbling works using D&D 3.5 rules instead of D&D 3.0 rules.

trolls have the special attack Rend. DONE

you can make a trip attack as an Attack of Opportunity, Cleave, or Whirlwind attack. Done Trip AoO (1.0.9)

you can only make a ranged trip attack with bolas. You can only make a melee trip attack with a dire flail, flail, gnome hooked hammer, guisarme, halberd, heavy flail, kama, scythe, sickle, or whip. You can drop that melee weapon to avoid being tripped in return. Done as per discussion with Average Manatee (except Bolas) v1.0.11

the spell Protection from Evil stops protecting the target from the natural weapon attacks of a summoned non-good creature after the target has attacked the summoned non-good creature.

gazra

Educated
I'd like to see the following changes implemented in TemplePlus (to make the computer game comply with D&D 3.5):

-4 penalty to Attack rolls when using Manyshot feat (Circle of Eight forum member Ausdoerrt claims that the penalty is currently only -2).

prone characters don't automatically stand up (thus preventing Attacks of Opportunity when standing up, which could kill the prone character if the prone character is surrounded by a lot of opponents within melee range).

Shield bashing implemented.

Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat implemented. Implemented in pre+198

Greater Weapon Specialization feat implemented. DONE (pre+223)

Improved Shield Bash feat implemented.

Run feat implemented.

gazra

Educated
Keep 'em coming!

For instance now would be a good time to suggest one of those high level feats - what would you like to see?

Aid Another special attack implemented.

Bull Rush special attack implemented.

Improved Bull Rush feat implemented.

Disarm special attack implemented. DONE

Improved Disarm feat implemented. DONE

Grapple special attack implemented.

Improved Grapple feat implemented.

Owlbears have the Improved Grab special attack.

At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Improved Familiar feat implemented.

Improved Precise Shot feat implemented. DONE

Magical Affinity feat is wrongly named. The feat's correct name is Magical Aptitude. FIXED (haven't touched the enum name though)

Overrun special attack implemented.

Improved Overrun feat implemented.

Sunder special attack implemented.

Improved Sunder feat implemented.

Tower Shield Proficiency feat implemented.

My most wanted are the following (in the following descending order from most wanted to least wanted):

1. Greater Weapon Specialization feat Implemented in pre+223

2. Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat Implemented in pre+198

3. rogue's Crippling Strike special ability does 2 Strength damage (it currently only does 1 Strength damage) Fixed in pre+195 (I like easy fixes!!!)

4. Improved Precise Shot feat DONE

5. monk's Quivering Palm special ability DONE (v1.0.7)

6. ranger's Combat Style Mastery special ability DONE

gazra

Educated
Sitra Achara, I have to say that I am immensely impressed with all of the amazing improvements that you have implemented in ToEE!

I think now would be a good time to shift the focus on giving the AI new capabilities, and better brains as well, so it can handle all the new tools at the player's disposal (like picking the weapon off the floor :lol:) Also I've always hated the super hacky way I've used to implement script targeting, time to fix it!

Anyway, what would you suggest? I've seen Rend mentioned, anything else?

A.I. spellcasters currently are unable to cast spells that require targeting more than one target (such as Haste, Chain Lightning, Mass Heal, Mass Charm Monster, Weird, etc.). It would significantly improve the A.I. if A.I spellcasters were able to cast such spells.

If the A.I. switches from wielding a ranged weapon (bow, crossbow,etc.) to wielding a melee weapon, then I believe that such A.I. NPCs are currently unable to switch back to wielding a ranged weapon for the rest of the combat. It would significantly improve the A.I if A.I NPCs could switch between wielding melee or ranged weapons at will throughout the combat (in order to best suit the current situation for the A.I. during the combat).

A.I. NPCs currently are only able to have a maximum of 10 feats. It would significantly improve the A.I if A.I. NPCs were able to have many more feats.

Trolls would become much more effective if they were able to use their special attack Rend. DONE

Owlbears would become much more effective if they were able to use their special attack Improved Grab.

LarkinVB

Novice
Disarm is finished, including triggering an AoO and bonus / penalty for Two-Handed / Light weapons respectively.
Also implemented Improved Disarm.

I think now would be a good time to shift the focus on giving the AI new capabilities, and better brains as well, so it can handle all the new tools at the player's disposal (like picking the weapon off the floor :lol:) Also I've always hated the super hacky way I've used to implement script targeting, time to fix it!

Anyway, what would you suggest? I've seen Rend mentioned, anything else?

I'm really looking forward to a challenging AI. It really can benefit from better brains. flanking comes to mind as well as alerting creatures in nearby rooms. Never watched an enemy magic user spoiling my spells with magic missile and 'ready versus spell'.

Endarire

Scholar
My top 5 things from that thread (and in general so far from playing only ToEE and Co8 up through Zuggtmoy's defeat, not TemplePlus) - in no particular order:

1: Implement the rest of the core spells (and others we can swing in from other sources) that are viable within this engine. Sepia snake sigil seems unimportant compared to say, shades. Spells with choices at cast time (like wall of fire or limited wish) could have their options implemented via radial menu or a dialog window that occurs at cast time. (This dialog menu is similar to the genie that appears in Baldur's Gate II when you cast limited wish or wish.)

2: Implement the rest of the core items (and others we can swing in) and item mods that are viable within this engine. Rangers have favored enemies but there's no Bane weapon property. There are rings of energy resistance but no armor mod of it. Prayer Beads of Karma are wonderful in tabletop but do nothing in Co8 as of now. (Bugged they are it seems.)
Prayer Beads of Karma fixed

3: Add more creature types, especially casters, and with more intelligent and dynamic combat scripts who encourage me to do something besides rocket tag with magic missiles and AoE damage spells. A party of 5+ fireball spammers is pretty much unstoppable against anything not immune to flaming death, or that has Evasion and rolls well on Reflex, or that has a notably higher spell resistance than my caster level. Right now, there are 2 main types of optimal characters: The AoE damage spammer (especially in groups of 5+) and the high STR, high DEX Large/Huge polearm wielders (especially Clerics with enlarge person and righteous might). Part of this is a function of the 3.5 tabletop source materail, part of this is a function of the ToEE module, part of this is a matter of the ToEE engine, and part of this is from enemy AI being generally stupid.

New creature requests include these for a first pass:

-All remaining giant types (especially stone, storm, fire, cloud, ice...)
-Golems (flesh, iron, stone, clay, adamantine, mithral...)
-Animated objects
-Dragons (if they aren't in already)
-Sprites (pixies, nixies, grigs...)
-Fey in general (satyrs come to mind)
-Hags
-Naga
-Hydras of more heads and other types (pyrohydra, cryohydra, dynahydra)
-Otyughs
-Outsiders (the remaining demons, devils, archons, angels, and celestials)

-Whatever creatures from the summon, planar binding, planar ally, and gate spells need inclusion

4: Add convenience things, like the following:

-When a dialog window appears with red and green button options (Cancel/OK, Engage/Avoid), make ENTER always choose the green option and ESC always choose the red option.
Mostly done

-Automatic, continuous alphabetization of all spells known by spell list. (A Cleric's spell list is currently jumbled but consistent between characters. A Wizard's spell list is often jumbled and inconsistent between characters. Regardless, the prepared spells in the radial menu are consistently alphabetized. Whu?)
Done

-Being able to transfer inventory items between party members, Baldur's Gate-style. That is, click and hold an inventory item then push a number key (corresponding to a party member) to switch to their inventory with the item still on my cursor so I can place it where I want in their inventory.

For example, let's say my Wizard has a +1 Holy Longsword that I want to transfer to Elmo. Elmo has been bashing skeletons recently with a +1 Holy Morningstar I have (and is expected to continue to do so in the near future), and I want him to have the Holy Longsword in a specific spot in his inventory. I select my Wizard (on character slot #2), click the Holy Longsword in his inventory and hold down left mouse button while I push 6 (because Elmo is on slot #6) then drop the Holy Longsword where I want in his inventory in a spot I'll remember.

-When I walk near anywhere that has coins on the ground (especially corspes of foes), they should go to party inventory (and be split as appropriate) automatically. I'd like this to be toggleable but on by default. It's kinda like the Magnetism item property from Diablo III.

-Add an option to have the person in the party with the highest amount of available carrying capacity before hitting the next encumbrance level (and with the space, of course) to automatically pick up items. I stopped picking up many a nonmagical armor and weapon because these things were surprisingly heavy but not worth very much to vendors.

-If a shopkeeper can have an item for sale, ensure they always have that item for sale. (Change the percent chance from, say, 20% to 100% on all vendor items!) No more rest/pass time spamming to ensure I get 5 Mithral Bucklers from Ah Fong or Brother Smyth for my team, or to ensure I get all the Wizard scrolls a vendor sells. Vendors in games acting as super convenient vending machines is a trope for good reason: Player time is valuable.

-At shops, let us automatically sell items from our inventory and buy items from vendor inventories by pushing Control-Right Click (Command-Click on a Mac). This saves so much time compared to the current method!
Alt-Clicking will now sell items

-Allow the binding of more keys. I'd happily give away F1-F8, F10, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, - (Minus), = (Equals), Mouse Buttons 3 and above, and everything on my NumPad for spells and actions.

-When I have a crafting window open (like Scribe Scroll), I'd like to be able to toggle among characters with that same item creation feat by pushing the number keys (1-8) to select them. Selecting a character by this method who lacks the feat would immediately close the window.

-Let me shift-click an item in a vendor's inventory to find out its full stats.
Added in v1.0.28

-When shift-clicking an item, tell me all the item properties on it at the top. For example, +5 Holy Flaming Burst Keen Shocking Burst Mighty Cleaving Spiked Chain. (The +5 is from greater magic weapon at caster level 20+. This item is only +1 base.) This way, I know all item properties to better understand what I can do.

-In the Arms & Armor enchantment window, show me all item properties on an item - even if the character can't apply those. For example, if I enhance a weapon to be +1 Holy Keen then give it to my Cleric, he can't see that the weapon is Keen. If I give it to my Wizard, she can't see that it's Holy.
DONE (v1.0.10)

-In Ironman mode, allow people to reroll their stats and access Point Buy (Advanced). This is so much faster than rolling once, making a new character, and rolling again.

-Reveal the stats of NPCs (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA, etc.) in their inventory window. It makes things easier. Yes, I can view them in game guides, but that's an extra step.
Done (use Transparent NPC stats House Rules option to enable this)

-Have some in-game means of seeing the stats of what I'm about to summon before I summon it. D20SRD.org exists and seems to be the best way to vet what I summon before I do. Even then, templated creatures don't have their full stats, and ToEE has its own idiosyncrasies.
Already exists in the wiki help (Co8)

5: Fix bugs that seem to have no other way to fix and include expanded content that seems only possible by a method akin to TemplePlus's.

-Add PrCs (prestige classes). The 'theurge' classes (Mythic Theurge, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Daggerspell Mage...) seem the most important.
Done except for Daggerspell

-Add base classes outside the original 11. The martial adepts from Tome of Battle come to mind.

-Fix Wild Shape. It currently drops the user's speed and doesn't give the amount of attacks of the form.
Fixed (1.0.11)

-Fix Bard/Sorcerers. No one at Troika thought anyone would multiclass this way, but their spells are bugged. A Bard2/Sor1 (with 18 CHA) can cast all his level 1 Sor spells then be unable to cast his level 1 Bard spell, even though the spells are meant to be from different pools!
Fixed (1.0.15)

-We'd like more feats. Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Fell Drain, Born of Three Thunders, Energy Substitution...

Endarire

Scholar
Presently, the items most dear to me (not counting bug fixes) are these, again in no particular order:

-Interface and qualify-of-life/convenience improvements. The Baldur's Gate-style inventory management (including an inventory sorting option, plus toggleable auto-arrange) is very handy. So is having a 100% restock rate on vendor items. Less so is having always-alphabetized spell lists.

-Adding the scaffolding for the rest of the core spells (like wall of fire) that the Temple (not T+) can't yet do otherwise. This implicitly means adding the rest of the core spells too, or at least the ones I mentioned in the Co8 forum post above. (These spells were suggested with the implication that Co8 without T+ could use radial manus for positioning wall spells.)

Of the spells to be added, my favorites are gate (call a super powerful extraplanar creature for 1000EXP), the wall spells, time stop (give a buncha free turns or transform all actions into free actions for a certain number of rounds), shades/shadow conjuration/shadow evocation (versatile Illusion spells in spell levels that otherwise lack these), mass enlarge/reduce person (and other mass buffs, like mass resist energy and mass protection from energy and mass shield of faith), and the polymorph/alter self/shapechange line.

-Adding the rest of the core weapon and armor/shield modifiers. For the effects the game is intended to have (like energy resistance, possibly not etherealness), this should be easy.

Endarire

Scholar
I'm curious about the viability of these inclusions:

-Templates for player characters, acquired mid-game. For example, a character may contract vampirism and gain the Vampire or Vampire Spawn template, or may undergo the Rite of Rebirth and become a Dragonborn.

-Psionics (mostly psions and psychic warriors). These would need to be handled using new ways of tracking power points, the ability to augment powers, and the ability to learn powers from lists outside your own via feats, research, etc.

-Tome of Battle classes, maneuvers, and stances. WotC realized late in 3.5's lifecycle (about gasp 9.5 years ago!) that martial characters weren't being served by the traditional format of feats and class features. I'd love to have the Warblade, Swordsage, and Crusader base classes included (and are the classes I most want added to ToEE, even more than PrCs!) since they make melee more than "charge," "poke," or "poke poke don't move more than 5'."

-Swift actions. These seem implemented easily enough. Perhaps have a small blue visual indicator at the top of the turn hourglass to indicate swift action availability.

-Immediate actions. These are considered important or vital to psionics and Tome of Battle classes and mechanics. These normally consume the current turn's swift action (if it's your turn) or your next turn's swift action (otherwise). Readying immediate actions (kinda like how 'ready action vs approach' is an option) may be necessary to implement immediate actions at all. I'm taking suggestions here!

Pushing the crafting window hotkey for any craft feat window (if there is one) should also close the crafting window, and if the hotkey is for a different craft window, open that window.

For example, if CWI's window is up and someone pushes the hotkey for Scribe Scroll, the CWI window should close and the Scribe Scroll window should open. Pushing the Scribe Scroll hotkey again should close the window.

I'd also like to be able to shift-click and H-click items in vendor/container inventories to view stats and get full help on them before picking them.
Done for v1.0.28

Can we add shift- or/and alt-keys as hotkeys?

Listing the save DC on the item helps. For example, Grease would have an entry of:

Save DC: <Number> (Reflex)

Phantasmal Killer has an entry of:

Save DC: <Number> (Will then Fortitude)

Searing Light has an entry of:

Save DC: None.

Thus, an arcane scroll of Phantasmal Killer would have the full entry of:

Scroll of Phantasmal Killer
Weight: 0
Quantity: 1
Caster Level: 7, Save DC <Number> (Will then Fortitude) [Illusion - Arcane Scroll]

Crafting Suggestions!

-Allow sorting of items/enhancements by any of these criteria: Minimum caster level, slot, handedness (1 handed or 2 handed - for weapons only), gold cost, EXP cost.

Black: That's a homebrew feat unless you can prove to me otherwise. (D&D Wiki stuff is largely homebrew aside from marked 'SRD' entries.)

A major concern for me has been high-level content. I played a 2-member party (with the occasional companion NPC) who only reached level 18ish by Co8 game's end, including all the new content. Mind you, we did crafting (and perhaps we would have reached level 19 had we crafted nothing), but that also presently diminishes the use of high-level classes, like the Archmage. Just sayin'.

I mentioned before my suggestions for implementing the Wall spells. (Use a radial menu selector for \ | / - versions.)

Request for House Rules tab:

Make it a scrolling list instead of just the pane it is. That way, as more house rules are added, they can be scrolled to and toggled instead of taking up a very small space.

Suggested House Rule: Make all vendors sell all their items at 100% (restock) frequency. That way, we can get to the game sooner instead of resting and reloading lots to generate a specific desired item.

-Show the Attack of Opportunity icon (the same one that shows when moving through a foe's threatened area) on the radial menu for actions that would provoke an attack of opportunity at the current time if used, such as drinking potions or reading scrolls.

-Defensive Casting/Casting Defensively should only have a chance of failure when there is at least 1 enemy in melee threat range or a foe has an action readied against the defensive caster to disrupt casting.

-Any Wizard with at least 1 Spellcraft rank should have no chance of failure adding a spell scroll into his Wizard repertoire. Reloading is just annoying for something that people in tabletop normally take 10 on.

-AI-controlled creatures with at least 1 INT should use 5-foot steps more. Have the movement script see if it can reach/attack its target with a 5' step, and, if it can, do so.

-Allow teleport to work in combat. (In Co8 and perhaps vanilla, this was disallowed for reasons I didn't comprehend.) Teleport is an iconic escape spell!

-Whenever making a skill check or an ability check via dialog (including determining who has the highest Appraise skill modifier), use the highest current skill or ability modifier for the current party members. Thus, if I have my -2 CHA Barbarian talk to a guy who can make a Diplomacy check, use the party's highest modifier for this, such as from the Bard or Cleric or Rogue. This means I need not be extra picky about who talks to whom.

"A spell has ended" should have its text change to say what spell from what source ended. For example, "A Web spell from Small Monstrous Spider has ended" or "A Mage Armor spell from Burne has just ended."

For limited daily use abilities (Turn Undead, Bardic Music, Barbarian Rage, etc.), may we get in the radial menu a number of how many we have remaining out of how many total? For example:

Bardic Music: 2 of 5 Daily Uses Remaining

Wall spells and breaks in the walls:

Will there be an 'undo last drawn segment' option? For example, if I draw 3 areas, van I undo my last area before finalizing without reselecting/recasting the spell?

Rods: d20SRD.org's Rod section tells which rods need Craft Magic Arms & Armor. A spiffy house rule would be to remove the need for CMA&A to make all rods.

House Rule: Allow spontaneous application of metamagic feats (such as with Sor, FvS, Bard, and spontaneous conversion of spells to cure/inflict/summon nature's ally) without increasing cast time. This is largely because I believe the rule is unfair and because it prevents Quicken Spell from being applied spontaneously. (Pathfinder allowed Quicken Spell on spontaneous casting.)

I also found this thread on Co8 where user X VICIOUS made s'more creatures such as Flesh Golems, Iron Golems, and new tigers!

May we get them in-game?

I'd very much like a house rule that favored class penalties to EXP don't exist. (If it's in the game already, I haven't noticed.) Favored class penalties are a major reason that Humans are the best ToEE race. (The skill point per level and bonus feat @1 are other very big bonuses.)
In for 1.0.30

May we also get magical containers (like Bags of Holding and Heward's Handy Haversacks from 3.5 or Scroll Cases and Gem Bags from Baldur's Gate II) that reduce carried weight as well as give us more inventory slots?

May we get the feat Practiced Spellcaster (Complete Arcane) added to ToEE? Most likely, it would be a multi-pick version like Weapon Focus. Thus, it would be Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard), PS (Cleric), PS (Druid), and one more PS for each casting base class and PrC.

May we also get lax rules split up into individual components? I don't want EXP penalties for favored classes, but I don't want to be able to see enemies with AoEs unless I could notmally see them.
In for 1.0.38

Thankee!

Sometimes I ask for rules/features for myself and sometimes for the benefit of the community.

Spell Tabs
For casters with more than 1 spell list (such as Clerics or any multiclass caster with enough class levels), I'd like the spell tab (class or domain) that was most recently open when I close the window to open for me again when I open the spell window. For example, if I'm a Druid1/Wizard1 (in that order), my spell tabs are DRUID >> WIZARD. If I click the spell button now, the Druid tab will always show, even if I closed the window with the Wizard tab open.

The purpose of this is to make multiple spell lists easier to manage.

Reminders of Who Has What Spell
I'd like a note (via mouseover, clicking, whatever) to tell me who else in my party knows a certain spell, or if I know it via a domain or another class (such as a Druid/Wizard). For example, what if I don't want to learn Resist Energy as a Wizard if my Druid already knows it? What if I'm a Cleric/Wizard who already knows Protection from Evil as a Cleric and am considering what Wizard spells to learn? I don't want to double up on accident.

Variable Caster Level and Crafting Consumables
May we get the ability to craft potions and scrolls at a CL higher than base? May we also get the ability to mass craft these items, such as getting 200 Acid Splash scrolls at a time - assuming we have the resources?

The intent is to make this more convenient and more in line with tabletop rules. (Wands already have the ability to set caster level. What about other items?)

For wand CL, please change the absolute max CL to 56 or higher. That's 50 class levels + Beads of Karma (+4 CL) + certain domains (+1 CL) + Orange Ioun Stone (+1 CL). It's expensive, but I want that ability.

Animal Companion and Wild Shape Level Tags
It's very handy to know at what level I can get each of these. For example, a Wolf is a [L1] animal companion ([L1] Wolf). A Dire Bear is a level 13 companion ([L13] Dire Bear).

With Wild Shape, a Huge Elemental is a [L20] Huge X Elemental (water/air/fire/earth).

Another 'while you're at it' request for someone is to add traits and flaws (each of which grants a general bonus feat - 2 by default but with house rules to modify) as optional character creation aspects. Again, how and when are details TBD.

Spirit Shaman (Complete Divine) is a more complicated spontaneous version of a Druid. It's also notably weaker. Mostly, you're just very better off taking a Druid instead. But code it if you wish!

Speaking of which, how'zabout adding the feat Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) and the PrC Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild) while you're at it, since they're Druid related?

I'd like changing PC portraits and sound profiles (such as from Illusionist to Boisterous Good Natued) in the inventory/character sheet screen. If this is already in, pweath notify me!

I don't mean changing these things for NPC companions (like Ronald Rynnwrathi) nor mind controlled minions.

Thanks for this mod. I'm enjoying a new playthrough of ToEE, absolutely no crashes so far up to the 2nd level, and the engine is much more pleasing.

Desired fixes/improvements I've come up with so far:

- Fix Sleet Storm spell. It currently doesn't have a duration and takes effect instantaneously. I'm guessing its probably unfinished and may not have the proper graphics for an effect, but anything you can do would be nice.
Fixed (v1.0.30)

- Freedom of movement appears to not work vs. Grease. Or at least the version granted by Lareth's ring isn't working, I don't have the spell.
Fixed (v1.0.10)

- Somehow Wind Wall got stuck on several of my characters permanently. Can't recall the circumstances and I only used it because it was accidentally added to my spellbook through a misclick.

- Fix Elmo (maybe other NPCs as well? I've not used most of them) being hyper-reactive about turning on the party from attacking allies. I think I should get the benefit of the doubt when casting Grease on a Summoned Monster level 1 surrounded by a dozen Bugbears.
Done

- Give Sorcerers the ability to swap out spells at level up. Whether you want to do it by the book or be a bit more lenient is up to you, but I'd recommend being able to swap 1 spell at each level up.
ALREADY EXISTS

- Rather than having in the combat log "X hits Y" and requiring us to click on it to bring up a window detailing the rolls, have the combat log show "X hits Y (18 vs 12)". Usually I don't care about the full breakdown but want to keep track of the enemy AC/Saving throws.

- Have some way to distinguish spells in items without needing to mouse over them. Just having the spell name under the scroll/wand/potion would be great.

- Something to distinguish magical loot from the rest would be nice. Blue border around the items, in the same way that Red denotes unequipable items?

Dercik

Novice
Was wondering... I don't think this is implented in original ToEE nor Co8.

Can you add "charge" bonuses (mean dealing double damage on hit) for longspears, spears, halberds and tridents?
I saw in changelog you added attack roll bonuses for disarm for some weapons, so I don't think that would be impossible.

Also i think there is Sai weapon in Co8 which also should have +4 to attack when using disarm

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Can you add "charge" bonuses (mean dealing double damage on hit) for longspears, spears, halberds and tridents?
I saw in changelog you added attack roll bonuses for disarm for some weapons, so I don't think that would be impossible.

That damage bonus for pole arms only applies in defensive situations (e.g. Ready vs Approach), not to your own charge attack. It would be cool to have that implemented, but I don't think combat AI currently uses Charge... at least I've never come across it while reading attack rolls.

Enemy charge attacks would be "interesting" to work in, I think. What criteria would qualify a smart time to use it? As a player, I use it discretely... looking at my own AC vs enemy attack strength, health, numbers and position etc. and weigh that against what I'm willing to risk. Quite a challenge for game combat AI :P. Perhaps it could work under limited circumstances, like if the attacker was enraged or of animal level intelligence.

By that same token, I don't think the AI uses other circumstantial combat actions either, such as Total Defense, Ready vs Approach, etc. Or are there some scripted behaviors somewhere?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Some AI strategies do use charge attack. One notable example is the Juggernaut. Check out strategy.tab.

Ready vs. Approach is indeed tricky, needs actual situational awareness for proper use. I think it's also better suited for the player in general, who has to handle hordes of melee opponents with limited no. of fighter types.

Dercik

Novice
That damage bonus for pole arms only applies in defensive situations (e.g. Ready vs Approach), not to your own charge attack. It would be cool to have that implemented, but I don't think combat AI currently uses Charge... at least I've never come across it while reading attack rolls.

Ahh.. sry - I read wrong in 3.5 dnd rules.

However it would make sense if you get bonus damage when using weapons which were used for charge tactics in real life ;).
I wouldn't mind for such substitution.

Also according to 3.5 dnd manual only certain weapons can be used to trip opponent - in TOEE you can use any weapon to trip. Maybe restrict weapons you can use to trip (which i guess would not pleasing) or maybe give additional attack roll bonuses, when using tripping, for those weapons?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Would be more appropriate to give a penalty for tripping with wrong weapons, say -4 (same as using a weapon that you aren't proficient in).

EDIT: Actually, here's my second thought after reading the 3.5 and ToEE rules more closely.

In 3.5 you can trip as an unarmed attack, which causes an AoO, or with certain weapons, which doesn't cause an AoO. But the key thing to notice is that you can always make an unarmed attack even if your hands hold a weapon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070327a), so effectively if you aren't holding the right weapon you can always make a melee touch attack to trip, you simply take the AoO.

ToEE has actually nerfed trip apparently, since in ToEE you always take the AoO regardless of weapon unless you have improved trip.

So the ideal fix would be to make weapons that have tripping capability give immunity to AoOs for tripping.

Heh! I doubt that's what they intended, but it seems legal. Also if I understand correctly it should incur the off-hand attack penalty, and null the weapon's to hit bonus of course.

The other question about tripping with weapons is whether to implement dropping the weapon to avoid being counter-tripped. I'm leaning towards yes since I've implemented decent facilities for disarmed weapon retrieval which I can use here. I'll also try to add a popup box to let the player decide.

Dercik

Novice
I was thinking - maybe adding feat which makes chosen skill class skill? (I know domains like trickery makes bluff and hide a class skill, so i guess it would like copy&paste for coding part)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Actually, the manual doesn't say it's a free action, it simply says that you get that attack "as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" so it might work as well during an AOO
Oh god, this system is a rules lawyer's paradise :lol:

Yeah, but the rules complexity is where a lot of the charm lies :P

I agree with Dr. Bak after re-reading the feat description... the attack you get with Improved Trip isn't specified as a free action, it's just a melee attack granted as part of a successful trip attempt (i.e. an improvement). It makes sense for it to apply anywhere, including AoOs. It's just a single attack, made with the same weapon at the same attack bonus as the trip.

Not having thought about it too much... can you then make that a special attack, such as Disarm, which is a substitute for a melee attack (not an action)? Because that would certainly open a can of worms.

Severian Silk

Is there a tool to import/export 3D character models?

Herk

Novice
Throwable bottles, like flasks of oil, acid bottles and holy water, always destructed when hitting targets, which is logical but not the case in ToEE as they are pickable on the corpses, and maybe destructed on a 50% chance basis when missing (currently they always lie on the ground in that case, pickable and re-usable).

Dr. Bak

Novice
A major concern for me has been high-level content. I played a 2-member party (with the occasional companion NPC) who only reached level 18ish by Co8 game's end, including all the new content. Mind you, we did crafting (and perhaps we would have reached level 19 had we crafted nothing), but that also presently diminishes the use of high-level classes, like the Archmage. Just sayin'.
On that note, Arena of Heroes script could be used to set some replayable random encounters for the endgame

Sitra Achara

Arcane
On that note, Arena of Heroes script could be used to set some replayable random encounters for the endgame
Yeah, I've been thinking of adding a Skirmish mode where you could take parties from savegames and face them against monsters (or each other!). Gotta finish the PrC's first though ;)
The Mystic Theurge is almost ready, and the Eldritch Knight shouldn't take much longer either. I'll do the Duelist after ;)

Okay, I might get some heat for this one, but... my laptop still runs Vista, which is capped at DX11.0. This means that it can't run TemplePlus past 1.0.13, due to the change to the rendering engine. Eventually there will be no-one left using Vista on anything, but there are still some of us. XD

This is not to sound ungrateful, btw. I totally understand you guys wouldn't undertake the effort to get the game running on DX11.somethingelse if you didn't have ambitious plans for the UI (and maybe even game content?) That's awesome! It would just be nice, if it isn't too difficult, if you also offered an option in the configuration utility to revert to DX9 until there's functionality or content added to TemplePlus which requires DX11 to operate.

I don't think it's likely but I'll see what we can do. Also, are you sure Vista doesn't have a DX11 update?

How can we configure the number of PC/NPC numbers allowed in the party through temple+? I don't see an option like TFE-X's Max number of PC's in party.

You don't have to configure it, in Temple+ the PC/NPC ratio is flexible (well, other than a 5 NPC cap which still stands).

Last edited:

Swithin

Barely Literate
Okay, I might get some heat for this one, but... my laptop still runs Vista, which is capped at DX11.0. This means that it can't run TemplePlus past 1.0.13, due to the change to the rendering engine. Eventually there will be no-one left using Vista on anything, but there are still some of us. XD

This is not to sound ungrateful, btw. I totally understand you guys wouldn't undertake the effort to get the game running on DX11.somethingelse if you didn't have ambitious plans for the UI (and maybe even game content?) That's awesome! It would just be nice, if it isn't too difficult, if you also offered an option in the configuration utility to revert to DX9 until there's functionality or content added to TemplePlus which requires DX11 to operate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom