Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feedback / Specific Suggestions / Criticism

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
One of these days, I'll have to show you the "Remember me" option, Wolf. :)

true; I always forget to log in.

Anonymous

Humourous translation problem with food item description, "saturates for one day". Saturate=soak completely. I think maybe the word your looking for is "Satiate" or "Satisfy".

Encounter with the Seer's(Madraga's swamp) idiot child. When he attacked the first thing I did was throw my spear. When the encounter ended and he walks back to his starting position. This leaves me unable to retrieve the spear because he is now standing on top of it. Any key command I'm missing to get around this?

Ingame brightness/gamma controls would be nice.

LCJr.

Erudite
Your not the only one who forgets to log in, last post was mine.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi LCJr., and thanks for this feedback.

Lost spear: this is more or less a bug. Currently, the only thing you can do is to wait until night falls (he'll then leave his position).
I'll change npc behavior in such a way that when you walk into someone, he'll step aside (unless he's guarding something). (Currently, only people loitering around will step aside - but not those who're constantly standing at a specific location.)

Anonymous

Sleeping and Times

I've only got the demo, intend on getting the Full Version, anyway, when you go to sleep, would it not be more realistic and useful if you didnt all ways wake up in the morning. If i want to go exploring in the night, the only way i found to get to night was by clicking "wait" loads of times.

If you went to sleep in the morning could you not wake up in late afternoon?

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Re: Sleeping and Times

Anonymous said:
would it not be more realistic and useful if you didnt all ways wake up in the morning / If you went to sleep in the morning could you not wake up in late afternoon?

Hi, - yes, I'd originally implemented sleeping in this way. But I soon found that rather cumbersome, because you'd so often wake up too early, when it still was dark, and all people were still sleeping etc.

Perhaps it'll be a more convenient solution if I improve the "Wait"-action instead, by letting you choose until what time you want to wait (til afternoon/night/early morning etc). Thanks for this feedback!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I say keep it like it is mainly for the reason you said. When I'm told to wait on something for a few days, I just sleep through them. If you have trouble with the realism of that, just pretend the little dude wakes up, sees it's dark, and rolls over and catches a bit more shut eye. :)

Cai

Novice
Few Questions.

That post a few back - about sleeping and waiting was mine.
Yeah i think if you improve the 'Wait' command then this would solve the sleep issue.

Another minor problem is when combat mode comes on, the cursor sometimes dissappears for a a while, ( on the Demo this is ), has anyone else noticed?

Also, as i walk around i'm continuosly getting Cursed somehow, the 'cursed' icon keeps on coming up in the bottom right, followed shortly by the bleeding icon. Nothing obvious is causing this. So i'm always having to use "break spell" and "wrap wounds" commands on myself, then find a healer. This is beoming very repetitive, is there something i can do?

I think it's great being able to have such a effective way of improving the game, but i was wondering, if the game is already being sent , then how are these changes going to be implemented? are you going to release a download-able patch or another CD or something?

Cai

Novice
Patch

I just read the read-me and it explained about the Updating Patches that will come out, sorry for the pointless question. The other questions are still on my mind though.

Another thing that i was wondering is, when you kill a Major NPC, and you try to go travelling. You get stopped by a big gang of people who are looking for revenge. They have always killed me instantly in this situation. Is there anyway of surviving/running away/fighting back? could this perhaps be changed in later versions. - there is the problem of totally disrupting the major storyline if a major character is killed though.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Re: Patch

Hello Cai, thanks for your feedback!

I couldn't re-create that "Cursor disappears"-bug on my own system; however I'll add some additional code just to make sure it will be displayed correctly on whatever system the game runs.

Getting cursed: That's probably my fault. I'm punishing the player far too heavily for causing trouble at Ziu's Grove - I suppose that may have been the cause of your character being cursed: If you steal anything or cause any quarrel in this place, you'll feel so afraid of the God's wrath that you'll be cursed. Unfortunately, there's currently nothing you can do to end this curse. This isn't right; I'll rewrite that code to make the curse stop after a couple of days.

Killing major Npc: yes, you're then ambushed and killed because Npcs in other villages have no dialogue passages to adequately react to what you've done - so it's partly a death for technical reasons :) . Changing this would require quite a lot of additional dialogue text, so I'm a bit hesitant about it.

If all goes well, I may release version 1.1 with all these and other bugfixes by early next week. (Fixing bugs and adding improvements often creates new bugs; therefore I'll have to do some testing before releasing the update.)

Cai

Novice
that cursor problem is not serious, it hasnt stopped me anything.

yeah, the cursing thing did seem to happen after i had been to the Grove, and i usually cause trouble of somesort.... i thought it might have been the red mushrooms i ate!

Yeah, there would be too much programming work if you could kill Major NPCs.
thanks for the answers.

Anonymous

I dont need a windowed mode !
WHAT I NEED IS TEUDOGAR PART II

It´s great !

Anonymous

In the demo there is a way to escape from the big gang of warriors who want to kill you after killing an importasnt person:Don't let em talk to you,just when you see em:go on an travel on (press the travel button immediately)I don't know if this is a bug,it works in the demo version...
Heremod from Germany

Lammers

Novice
Hello Wolf,
Just wanted to tell you it took about 4 days for the CD to arrive in Australia which is great! Woooohooo!

Just 1 minor criticism is the CD. You might want to add a CD label on it, just to make it more professional. Maybe as simple as the TEUDOGAR picture on the first entry screen into the game. Nothing fancy, obviously you want to keep your costs down, but looking at the amount of work you've put into the game, this would just make the product more complete.

Great stuff indeed.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi Zig, Retro Man, Heremod, Saint Proverbius, Lammers:
Thank you all for your feedback!

Windowed mode: I'll program that when I change (increase) the screen resolution (which I'll have to do sooner or later).

Combat system: I'm considering keyboard commands for stab/slash and hit-head/torso/legs. Also, more spells.

CD: originally I had used white circular CD-sized labels - but these didn't look particularily great, either. I'll see if I can find decent transparent ones. Anyway I agree - can't leave them unlabeled.

Gavin Spooner

Novice
Finish

When you finish the game does it still go on or is it the end of the game.
Ps Love the use of the Teuton\Norse Gods :D

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Re: Finish

Gavin Spooner said:
When you finish the game does it still go on or is it the end of the game.
No, finishing the game ends the game - you're told in a summary what fate awaits you as a result of your actions, how you've spent the rest of your life, and how you died. (So while it's fun to try "Finish Game" often and in different circumstances to see what end you get, one ought to save one's game status before.)

Gavin Spooner

Novice
Ending

I like games when you finish you can still go on and live in the world you have change. :wink:
It would have been cool if you could have bought things for your house; like beer barrels, chairs,table; It also would have been cool if you could make your place bigger or buy and sell land and slave.

But all up you game rocks. :twisted:

Anonymous

Heya ! This would be a nice option Gavin !
I mean the Game is a little short. Some more
adventure,a higher difficult level and maybe
an option to beat the fucking romes to hell !

But all i all its one of my " Lonesome Island " games!

Anonymous

is there maby a trick or cheat in TEUDOGAR to get more money ? I need the fucking long two hander sword !

Wolf Mittag

Developer
sven svenske said:
is there maby a trick or cheat in TEUDOGAR to get more money ? I need the fucking long two hander sword !

Well, the best (and most Barbaric) way to get a long-sword would be to start a fight with some henchman who's carrying a sword, to slay him, and then to take what you've won.

An alternative might be to do some unfair trading: Make your trading partner drunk (give three or four cups of beer to him), and you'll get a much better deal; this way, you may be able to afford buying a used sword from some warrior.

If you really want to cheat outright, here's a description of how to do this (warning: major spoiler): http://www.teudogar.com/cheat_barter.txt; but I'd strongly recommend not to read or use this, since it really spoils the gaming fun.

Anonymous

Fantastic Game, love your style of graphics and the interface, what I want to see most is trade skills, an option for numbers would be nice too.

trade skills such as blacksmithing more than simply repairing the weapons and armor, such as mining the iron, making the bars, then making them into the weapons or arms.
Fishing would be nice if it got faster with more experience as well as the occasional larger fish.
And in your coming Rpg if you do make tiles for the ground, an interesting aspect would be lumberjacking and carpentry, build your own house, tile by tile
You could even add fletching for a skill, whats wrong with bows?

And what I mean by numbers is, with your strength and skills and such, despite taking away from the realism they are easier to understand, instead of, sorta strong, strong, kinda strong, really strong, you could have 1-4, surely it wouldnt be difficult to implement because I am sure you already have the numbers as variables. This would merely need to be an option.

by the way, I have a strange bug, at the top of every map the 2nd to north most row of tiles, each tile flash varying different objects, anything from posts(with torches) to shields or armor. if this bug isnt shared by all users, I am running windows 2000 professional.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hello Guest, thanks for giving me feedback!

Trade skills: I definitly want to expand this area, and some of the points you mentioned are already high up on my ToDo-list, especially crafting your own weapons. Expanding fishing: Nice idea; I'll do that. I'll implement these things bit by bit over time, some sooner, some (those requiring major changes to the engine) later.

Several people have said they'd like to build their own houses. So far I've shied away from implementing this, because these multi-tiles structures are quite difficult to modify during a running game. (Currently, all ground tiles (like walls, floors, some parts of the trees etc) are saved within a single file that remains constant during the entire game, in order to reduce disk space and saving/loading times. In order to make changes of ground tiles possible, that would have to be changed first.) Then there'd have to be a cut-down-trees function, a remove-tree-stumps, a check-if-all-materials-there, a check-if-building-space-suitable, and finally, a build-house function (including door and roof), and all internal data tables would have to be updated (xy01 of roof, xy of doors, xy's of working places, xy of fireplace, xy's of beds/chairs etc). A lot of work, but I may still do it in a future version.

Fletching: The Teutons apparently didn't use bows at that time, preferring javelins or slingstones instead. (As a programmer, I was happy they didn't, since programming weapons needing ammunition is a lot more work than sticking with simple swords.) But yes, in future fantasy games... And of course your need to provide ammunition would be one more gaming feature.

Numbers: Ok; I'll add a choice to the options menu that'll make your precise skill numbers etc available in the player info screen and the status bar. (To get a preview of how this would feel, turn on the cheat mode by typing ",cheat" (a comma first), then keep the "W" key pressed down, and move your mouse cursor to the lower edge of the screen (thus opening the status bar): That'll display your precise stats, even with the current version of Teudogar.)

Your bug report, wrong graphics tiles displayed: That's indeed weird. If this relates only to graphics output, you might fix it by going to Options Menu, Graphics&Scrolling, and turn "Graphics Data" to "all in RAM" (restore that to "all in VRAM" if changing this doesn't help). Otherwise, your saved game may have become corrupted at some point of the game (though that'd be the first time I'd hear of Teudogar's engine doing such a thing). Does that bug still occur when you start a new game? (Bugs that occur only sometimes, under unclear circumstances, are harder to trace.) (I do testing mainly under WinXP and Win98. There has been one problem with Setup under WinME; these Windowses do seem to behave differently from each other, so Win2000 might be the cause; although I don't quite see why or how exactly that should be.)

Thanks for your suggestions and your bug report! (I get far too few bug reports anyway; either because Teudogar is really almost completely bug-free, or because people don't bother to tell me if something doesn't work 100% on their systems.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom