Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FF XIII

Imbecile

Arbiter
This just in! JRPGs are linear. But then so was Half Life 2, and that didn't stop it being a decent, if overrated game.

Ninjedit: and yes I know HL2 isnt an RPG, but i figure linearity/non linearity focus should not only be applied to RPGs. Or something.

I'm tired.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

So it's a 10/10 game, what's the problem?

Edit:
If the main character in your party dies it is game over
Oh, wait, it's a 9/10 game!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Gaming rag Famitsu’s review of Final Fantasy XIII has proven something of an upset, with the game getting 39 of 40 instead of the expected 40
:lol:

And now to the best part: the comments, the comments!

everyone seem to have forgotten the FF is *NOT* a dating sim and there is *ONLY* *ONE* *PATH* in the game. It have always been that way.

they always need to find a reason to bitch about . KOTOR , NWNs and Dragon age are all linear rpgs yet no one ever mentioned it . but now they try to knock down rating for a good game over nothing

its a rpg its not susposed to be GTA4

Talonfire

Scholar
I'm not seeing what the problem is here. It sounds like it plays just like your run of the mill JRPG to me. You can't honestly tell me that no Final Fantasy prior to XIII was ridiculously linear.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Talonfire said:
I'm not seeing what the problem is here. It sounds like it plays just like your run of the mill JRPG to me. You can't honestly tell me that no Final Fantasy prior to XIII was ridiculously linear.

Damn kids these days, spoiled by the openness of Oblivion and GTA IV (and mistaking Oblivion for an RPG, ho, ho, ho!).

The best JRPGs though (like CRPGs) are those that do a good job masking the linearity by having intense, well written events occur regularly and don't lead you by hand to every next plot trigger point. It helps if the story and characters are compelling and the gameplay isn't too easy or generic feeling.

FFX was linear as hell but had a pretty good story, some good characters (thrown in with a couple of annoying ones as is custom with JRPGs), good combat and also had puzzles (pretty much the first time puzzles were used prominently in a FF game).

DriacKin

Arbiter
Relayer71 said:
FFX was linear as hell but had a pretty good story, some good characters (thrown in with a couple of annoying ones as is custom with JRPGs), good combat and also had puzzles (pretty much the first time puzzles were used prominently in a FF game).
The fuck?

spekkio

Arcane
DriacKin said:
Relayer71 said:
The fuck?

The fuck is your problem DriacKin, there's nothing wrong in Relayer71 being gay.

Exemplary FFX character:

0430.jpg

Relayer71

Liturgist
spekkio said:
DriacKin said:
Relayer71 said:
The fuck?

The fuck is your problem DriacKin, there's nothing wrong in Relayer71 being gay.

Well I'd rather be gay than an immature, ignorant, angry little cunt which seems to be the norm around here these days :)

*hugs*

Kron

Arcane
What is this???
A FF game receiving criticism upon release???

The game will sell gazillions no matter what.

Also,
DriacKin said:
Relayer71 said:

The fuck?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm looking forward to it. Now I just have to figure if it will be better on the PS3 or Xbox360... (I own both). r00fles!

DriacKin

Arbiter
Relayer71 said:
spekkio said:
DriacKin said:
Relayer71 said:
The fuck?

Well I'd rather be gay than an immature, ignorant, angry little cunt which seems to be the norm around here these days :)

Actually, most of Codex embody all of those qualities in addition to being gay.

Mogar

Scholar
The Japanese said:
*The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].
*There are hardly any towns.
*The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].
*There are rather a lot of movies.
*Moving around is like a long marathon.
*The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.
*You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].
*Your party is completely healed after each battle.
*If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].
*The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.
*The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].
*The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints center on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]
*Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.
*However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].
*There have been next to no changes from the demo.
*The status screen displays no real information.
*There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].
*There are no levels.
*38 bluray, 30 gb is cutscenes/movies, 8 gb is everything else

I don't know if this is one hell of an incline or if FF13 is just that bad, but you have to admit, something's terribly, terribly wrong when the Japanese complain about the story being juvenile and the game being too linear.

.Sigurd

Educated
Mogar said:
The Japanese said:
*The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].
*There are hardly any towns.
*The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].
*There are rather a lot of movies.
*Moving around is like a long marathon.
*The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.
*You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].
*Your party is completely healed after each battle.
*If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].
*The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.
*The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].
*The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints center on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]
*Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.
*However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].
*There have been next to no changes from the demo.
*The status screen displays no real information.
*There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].
*There are no levels.
*38 bluray, 30 gb is cutscenes/movies, 8 gb is everything else

I don't know if this is one hell of an incline or if FF13 is just that bad, but you have to admit, something's terribly, terribly wrong when the Japanese complain about the story being juvenile and the game being too linear.
Too right mate!

Excidium said:
DriacKin said:
Actually, most of Codex embody all of those qualities in addition to being gay.

well, fuck you. I'm not gay.
don't deny the truth

Big budget RPG focusing on cinematics with no/bad changes in gameplay? I am shocked and appalled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom