Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

field of glory EMPIRES

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
For those who've played the beta, it fair to say the update is taking a lot of elements from Paradox? (FoG Empires always felt like a middleground between Ye Olde Wargames and Paradox-style Grand Strategy.)

Or is it just a superficial resemblance?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How is this game? It caught my eye as I was going through Slitherine's catalogue and seemed pretty interesting and now it's on sale so I'm considering getting the Empires + FoG2 bundle for tacticool combat.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's certainly of a higher production quality than a lot of Slitherine's catalogue. FoG2 has a lot of cool historical battles, and in general while it's hard to guess how you'll feel about either, I found both of them a much needed breath of fresh air.

If you go for it then definitely get the FoG2 bundle (warning though, it has a looot of DLC — on that they're worse than Paradox).

Question for the bros: Now that client states give tribute, are they the new meta for holding land without actually holding land? Namely, holding crap land or stuff you don't need right now until you have the culture required to hold it?

And this game really needs an option to release a nation as a client state.

Does this change the game drastically, would you say?

Too early to say. The basic mechanics are the same so far, the one big difference is that now you can use diplomacy, in a more paradox games way.
So far what I've done with it:

- Obeyed a bunch of Carthagean random demands for metal.
- Refused Carthagean attempts to sell me metal in exchange for money and manpower. Nice try, motherfuckers.
- Spent years trying to make the utterly beaten AI do what I wanted, but it would't budge. So I just took two territories and made it reliquish objectives.
- Got a nice cash payout (300 gold) from reliquinshing some objectives I had no interests in taking at the moment. Sweet.
- Had Carthage ask me to become their client state. Repeatedly. Then the bitches asked for an alliance, right when half the world is rekting them hard and a Usurper is taking over all territory. How 'bout FUCK NO!

THAT said... if you take all the land from a nation, they still get absorbed and no longer exist. So you have to do ridiculousness like letting them hold a single province while you negotiate. WTF. I have no idea how to make it, then, the AI so beaten and utterly destroyed that it just gives in to lots of demands.

the game is one sale by the way,save on crappy paradox dlcs and buy this and field of glory 2.

Me: "Yay, its on sale! Time to buy it!"

The Sale: Fiddy two BRbucks

Aaaaah, man.

(I mean, I could totally afford it... but I won't)

oscar

Arcane
It's certainly of a higher production quality than a lot of Slitherine's catalogue. FoG2 has a lot of cool historical battles, and in general while it's hard to guess how you'll feel about either, I found both of them a much needed breath of fresh air.

If you go for it then definitely get the FoG2 bundle (warning though, it has a looot of DLC — on that they're worse than Paradox).

What do you mean? The DLC covers new time periods (Biblical, Viking Age, Fall of Rome etc) that provide dozens of new army lists each. Pretty reasonable.

How is this game? It caught my eye as I was going through Slitherine's catalogue and seemed pretty interesting and now it's on sale so I'm considering getting the Empires + FoG2 bundle for tacticool combat.

The game has a robust multiplayer with perhaps the nicest community I've ever encountered. Try jump in one of the Slitherine-hosted tournaments once you've played a few campaigns.

Question: Its just me or the game lags a bit more in this version?

So, in a BIG diplomatic coup, my Lusitanic Chiefdom has managed to pretty much buy almost the entire Boetia from Carthage in a few well-placed deals. Some provincial units here, a lot of gold and metal there... and its done. Made them relinquish the objectives too, so its all nice and hunky-dory.

Of course, they were at war with like ten nations (including Ptolomaic Egypt and Rome) and a usurper at that moment, but damn if that wasn't one hell of a diplomatic coup. Straight up doubled my territory.

I like how warscore can affect the AI's chances to deal, so best moment to do diplomatic deals is when the AI is getting reamed. Very realistic.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Neat! Dunno why I'm surprised there's a DLC, though I'm bemused it's the start everyone expected to come to Imperator. Guess they're going to keep waiting, lol.

Faction list visible from Steam (bit weird they used a windowed screenshots for marketing but):

gGthfJ2.png

What do you mean? The DLC covers new time periods (Biblical, Viking Age, Fall of Rome etc) that provide dozens of new army lists each. Pretty reasonable.

I regret my phrasing, but I always found their DLC more expenesive, and outside this game, Slitherine is much more willing than (modern) Paradox to charge for minor bells and whistles.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Does the DLC have Field of Glory 2 integration?
Good question. But there are army lists for that period for most of the important nations. I guess the rest can proxied with uniform units for all the nations, like Massed Archers, Hoplites, Medium Infantry etc.
Aren't those lists in Rise of Persia-expansion?

edit.
Might be included in Immortal Fire.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I really want to get into this properly while waiting on the EU4 update. Besides replaying the in-game tutorial, or reading 200 pages of now outdated manual, does anyone have suggestions?

Hoggypare

Savant
I really want to get into this properly while waiting on the EU4 update. Besides replaying the in-game tutorial, or reading 200 pages of now outdated manual, does anyone have suggestions?
Play Judea, conquer the diadochi kingdoms and bring about the Jewish domination over the world about 2000 years earlier.
Memes aside, it is one of the most fun and unique starts. They have an interesting roster, strong opposition (but fragmented) and possibilities for expansion to many interesting regions.

Morkar Left

Decadence is a thing. You won't notice much at the start but try to keep it in line or you will suffer later on. And conquering too much countries too fast brings you decadence. Keep this in mind.

Regarding the DLC; I had hopes it stretches the starting time period of the main campaign. But instead it just seems to bring a new campaign and the old one is left untouched by the starting period? Would be a pity :(

razvedchiki

Erudite
Regarding the DLC; I had hopes it stretches the starting time period of the main campaign. But instead it just seems to bring a new campaign and the old one is left untouched by the starting period? Would be a pity

they probably dont have the manpower to add fluff to all the nations in the base game so they made a smaller more focused dlc, that allows them to add more flavor/fluff to each nation.

Hoggypare

Savant
Regarding the DLC; I had hopes it stretches the starting time period of the main campaign. But instead it just seems to bring a new campaign and the old one is left untouched by the starting period? Would be a pity :(
I also would have hoped they extended the grand campaign, but I guess a certain Alexander and his shenanigans made it so introduction of such major turning point for the world to a grand campaign would not be possible if You wanted to keep any semblance of historical authenticity.

That said, I am unsure of that, but some of the mechanics from the DLC might find their way to the grand campaign. I will probably buy it the moment it appears in the store, so I can report back.

Morkar Left

I also would have hoped they extended the grand campaign, but I guess a certain Alexander and his shenanigans made it so introduction of such major turning point for the world to a grand campaign would not be possible if You wanted to keep any semblance of historical authenticity.

That said, I am unsure of that, but some of the mechanics from the DLC might find their way to the grand campaign. I will probably buy it the moment it appears in the store, so I can report back.

Personally I want historic starting positions and historic behaviour from the different civs (strength and weaknesses of their culture or geographic positions, some unavoidable historic events) but I'm not so much into replaying history. Especially with too much enforced events which aren't necessarily reflect the actual ingame development. I mean what's the point of freeform gameplay if not creating ALTERNATIVE history and seeing what if situations happening? Othwerwise I could just replay linear historical campaigns. Which are interesting in its own right - especially when it comes along with good historical information - but not what I'm looking for in a grand strategy game.

But yeah I will probably buy it anyway just to have everything of it and support the developer. Hopefully there is a good connection with FoG (and its DLC).

Hoggypare

Savant
im not sure they had alexander in their minds for the new dlc, his adventures cover the very end of the dlcs period (336-323) and it starts in 550 bc.
No, they clearly did not. That is the point. It is way too different time period to implement without making a whole bunch of new mechanics as a groundwork under that.

Personally I want historic starting positions and historic behaviour from the different civs (strength and weaknesses of their culture or geographic positions, some unavoidable historic events) but I'm not so much into replaying history. Especially with too much enforced events which aren't necessarily reflect the actual ingame development. I mean what's the point of freeform gameplay if not creating ALTERNATIVE history and seeing what if situations happening? Othwerwise I could just replay linear historical campaigns. Which are interesting in its own right - especially when it comes along with good historical information - but not what I'm looking for in a grand strategy game.

But yeah I will probably buy it anyway just to have everything of it and support the developer. Hopefully there is a good connection with FoG (and its DLC).
I agree. Still, both the original campaign and the ones they added are quite lengthy. Also FoG:E is one of the less railroaded grand strategy games out there.
Also I checked, the new DLC mechanics, missions and the negative perks for the unhospitable provinces are implemented into the grand campaign. They also claim You only need standard FoG2 for the DLC campaign, but I am not exactly sure how, considering the classical units are in the DLC there.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
im not sure they had alexander in their minds for the new dlc, his adventures cover the very end of the dlcs period (336-323) and it starts in 550 bc.
No, they clearly did not. That is the point. It is way too different time period to implement without making a whole bunch of new mechanics as a groundwork under that.

I agree. Still, both the original campaign and the ones they added are quite lengthy. Also FoG:E is one of the less railroaded grand strategy games out there.
Also I checked, the new DLC mechanics, missions and the negative perks for the unhospitable provinces are implemented into the grand campaign. They also claim You only need standard FoG2 for the DLC campaign, but I am not exactly sure how, considering the classical units are in the DLC there.

Actually, Alexander's campaign may be a bit too different from what the game is simulating to work well. I guess that is why the base game starts right after Alexander, and this one ends right before him.

Focus Faction: Sparta

Sparta starts strong, with a very powerful army, and as such should not have too much of a problem conquering a few extra regions, with Argos foremost amongst them. Athens and you are constant rivals, so war is around the corner, but it won’t happen until a few turns have passed, as a peace treaty is running. Be prudent though, as once you besiege Athens, the huge citizen garrison can make a sortie that can defeat you in the open field. Athens will want to drag out the war to amass enough gold for extra mercenaries, so don’t delay too long.
Sparta has a unique regional decision which enables the kingdom to levy an average quality troop, Perioikoi. They have a nice perk, in that they cost only one manpower in upkeep. This will prove handy to fill up your battle line with something other than Helots.
Beware of the Helots, they will revolt several times unless you maintain very high loyalty in Sparta itself.

Custom gameplay

0ac69468993158a9d834dcf4452839555a8f87b5.jpg

If Athens is not allied with Sparta and neither is at war with Persia, then there will be a regular check to see who has the upper hand. This considers who has the most regions, the most legacy, the biggest fleet (at start there is no supremacy, but it can change very fast).
If one has supremacy over the other, then a reward will be given to the winner, and a penalty to the loser. Note that none of the rewards mean more legacy, extra ships or extra regions.

9a5a4cfcd2b651d0fecc9fa7b70ae49f21c8cbf2.jpg

You can have up to 3 Helot revolt in Sparta (Laconia region), if your loyalty is under 75. The more slaves you have, the more chance of revolt, and this probability is only slightly reduced by stationing troops. It is nevertheless a good idea to do so, as the army will rack up XP quelling the revolt.

bfc4f4dca3806fe2801129cca9b7ed3d308eef27.jpg

Sparta can receive up to five missions during the course of the game. There is no penalty in not doing them, but if you succeed, you’ll get extra legacy points and a special reward. Also note that if you fail a mission and if it is still valid, you might get it again in the future. Examples: Conquer Athens, Befriend Syracuse, Form the Peloponnesian league.

Sparta has one building at its disposal in the DLC, in addition to the 10 special buildings each Hellenic nation has. Note that Sparta has no access to the Ships Houses though (Neosokoi).

• Stratopedon
If used right, the stratopedon is very powerful. This is a field camp, that will only function if the region has no wall. It can give 5 XP per turn to troops, up to 20 units a turn!

ba696cffc06c26dd95538483a9046e97110ed71a.jpg

The almighty but costly Spartan Hoplite will put a drain you all your resources, including your precious manpower. It also has a ‘Money Increase Cost’ of 20%, so you won’t have many in your army. To supplement it, you can draft numerous Perioikoi (but not in Laconia, see below) and round up the roster with Helots, which are cheap as dirt (and are worth about as much in battle).

8c37ba01d0e5bd260d5e8ec480a2ed0f024642ee.jpg

Sparta, being a Hellenic nation, can use three regional decisions unique to this ethnicity. In addition to these, a fourth decision is unique to Sparta, Draft Perioikoi.

Draft Perioikoi
Will draft between three and seven Perioikoi in the region, depending on the skills of the leader in charge. They will start without any XP if drafted from Laconia (this represents drafting the unruly Messenians) but can start with as much as 100 XP if you had a Military Expertise of 10 (10 XP per point).

Implant Trade Settlements
Implant a trade colony in a coastal region controlled by an Independent nation. Yes, the region becomes yours! Note: Athens will receive this decision more than any other Hellenic nation.

Panhellenic Games
Improve relations with the targeted Hellenic nation (even if at war). If your ruler is a good diplomat, the decision can even stop an ongoing war.

Naval Support
Inflict damages on an enemy force adjacent to one of your fleet. A friendly army must be adjacent to this enemy force or in the same region (in case of a siege). Very handy to soften up the opposition just before an important battle.

Contrary to Athens, Sparta doesn’t have access to the heavier ships until reaching Civilization Level III, so it will be harder to have enough combat power to use this decision.
MORE ABOUT THIS GAME

Focus Faction: Athens

The best starting strategy for Athens is to be careful on the military front whilst trying to be aggressive in peaceful expansion. The city has the potential to be very strong economically, and thus militarily, thanks to mercenaries, but will be vulnerable for quite some time. This is not a nation we recommend to players who are still new to the game, as you’ll have to juggle many priorities at once, and one wrong judgement can spell doom.

Athens will be in constant rivalry with Sparta, unless both are at war with Persia. As such, for a good part of the campaign, you’ll run the risk of being conquered by the Lacedemonians, and you’ll often be tempted to strike at them … just in case they were planning something foul!

Custom gameplay

a54c946e7c64f36ef45f75b89ac81dc8c5375314.jpg

If Athens is not allied with Sparta and neither is at war with Persia, then there will be a regular check to see who has the upper hand. This considers who has the most regions, the most legacy, the biggest fleet (at start there is no supremacy, but it can change very fast).
If one has supremacy over the other, then a reward will be given to the winner, and a penalty to the loser. Note that none of the rewards mean more legacy, extra ships or extra regions.

ec959fd10a1d0c172cb68a4871c424a4eb530f80.jpg

Starting in 500 BCE, Regions with at least one Hellenes ethnicity in coastal Asia Minor with less than 75 loyalty and less than 60 combat power of units may revolt, if not occupied by a Hellene nation. Once one revolts, others that satisfy the conditions will do so too, once. If Athens can go to war with the occupier(s), it will do so instantly. If it can go to war, the region goes to Athens, and the city immediately receives one Armored Hoplite, 150 money, 25 manpower and 25 metal for each region in revolt.

d7317314dcb388c5a667e0eb520137b6f35a76f3.jpg

Athens will produce better ships as the nation has the ‘Shipbuilder’ trait (+1 Experience Level), the city itself has a ship house building from the start (Neosokoi) adding extra experience, and the initial shipyard will make production faster. But that’s not all, as the Neosokoi will permanently reduce the upkeep of a nearby ship by 1 or 2 gold per turn! With all these advantages, supremacy at sea will be easy to achieve provided you invest regularly in the navy.

bfc4f4dca3806fe2801129cca9b7ed3d308eef27.jpg

Athens benefits from having eight special missions at its disposal. There is no penalty in not doing them, but if you succeed, you’ll get extra legacy points and a special reward. Also note that if you fail a mission and if it is still valid, you might get it again in the future. Examples: Build an Academy for your philosophers, Form the Delian League, Rival Macedonia, etc.

69db48457f15a82ecd4c374d2b81bff9efb24073.jpg

Athens has two new custom buildings at its disposal in the DLC, in addition to the 10 special buildings each Hellenic nation has
• Makra Teiksè
The Makra Teiksè, or Long Walls, were of great importance to Athens, as they protected Piraeus harbor from being captured, the port being over 5 km from the city itself. They provide extra garrisons and defense, which with Athens’ own city walls and the Acropolis, give the city-state a formidable garrison that can beat even a strong army.
• Neosokoi
Actually not specific to Athens but an addition to all Hellenic nations, these ship houses were used to build, repair and train the crew of many Greek states. In addition to free starting XP, they will refit one ship a turn (it must be in the harbor or adjacent to it) by permanently reducing the upkeep by 1 or 2 gold (up to -50% of base upkeep).

ec2bf8d17a38b2166159b0ca8e6ce921d2fb29fd.jpg

The army is made of Armored Hoplites, Citizen Hoplites, Javelinmen and Javelin cavalry.

8c37ba01d0e5bd260d5e8ec480a2ed0f024642ee.jpg

Athens, as a Hellenic nation, has three custom regional decisions at its disposal. They also start with Implant Trade Settlements x2 and Naval Support x1 at turn 1, giving them a head start in snatching coastal regions (which incidentally is also the objective of one of their custom missions).
• Implant Trade Settlements
Implant a trade colony in a coastal region controlled by an Independent nation. Yes, the region becomes yours!
• Panhellenic Games
Improve relations with the targeted Hellenic nation (even if at war). If your ruler is a good diplomat, the decision can even stop an ongoing war.
• Naval Support
Inflict damages to an enemy force adjacent to one of your fleet. A friendly army must be adjacent to this enemy force or in the same region (in case of a siege). Very handy to soften up the opposition just before an important battle.

Given that Athens was my prefered nation to play in the base game (Sparta was too "limited", Rome was overwhelming with ton of micro), I'm looking forward to this.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Is there no attempt to represent the Athenian Empire and Peloponnesian War, or am I missing something? Not really familiar with this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom