Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What if Kickstarter let you profit from a game's success? Fig found a way, launches today

[​IMG]

Kz3r0

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  2. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    You're fast as I was just about to post this... darn you and your Jewish super powers :argh:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 26
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Huge news. So this is what the "incline cartel" has been up to, eh?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Yeah, securing financing for their projects.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  5. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Well here's the press release I received:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Schafer can suck my balls and I'm not touching anything he or anyone from doublefine will profit from.

This is a fucking shit website too. The layout is fucking shit. It looks cramped as hell.

I hope it crashes and burns, even if it means Obsidian getting canned as well. Fuck this and fuck off, motherfuckers.

• Brofist Brofist x 58
    ^ Top  
  7. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Will be interesting to see how this pans out (if it does).

^ Top  
  8. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Good idea. It's a great way to vastly expand the audience for crowdfunding.

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    To say that I am skeptical is an understatement.
    This whole equities for all has scam written all over it.
    All in all is just an attempt to bypass publishers once again.
    There are two main problems, Kickstarter is still the most popular and successful crowdfunding platform, and usually crowdfunded games don't sell that well in general, basically even if a project get funded it can't generate enough profit for both the developers and the investors.
    And sincerely, if I want to invest in videogames I will do it directly not through some platform that eats away five percent of all the revenues forever, this is doomed to fail.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  10. 28.8bps Modem Prophet

28.8bps Modem
    I have to wonder... did they actually consult lawyers before starting this? Because this sounds like it's tantamount to advertising and selling shares in a privately held company, which is very illegal.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
  12. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    What kind of shit page is this? Where can I browse projects? Where is the RPG/Shooter/Adventure/Gametype section?
    I don't care if there are 0 projects, but I expect at least a barebone structure to search projects. Nothing there.

^ Top  
  13. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's explicitly stated that there will only ever be 1-2 projects at a time.

Well, it seems like a better system than Kickstarter, though that isn't saying a whole lot. It'll need a few very big-name projects to take off though.

^ Top  
  14. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Yeah, my suspicision senses are tingeling with Schafer on board of this. After what happened to Broken Age and DF-9 as well as him insulting tons of people that grew up loving his games I just don't care about that prick.

Also yeah, legally this smells like a scam.

Which makes InXile and Obsidian being on board with this so much more.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    If I understand it properly, normal people would give money, but they would rip off developers as normal companies. With crazy idea of investing 10 bucks would give them 20 back...

I'm not sure if I'd wouldn't call it a felony. We had Joowood already, and other shady companies, now we would have crowfunding shady company. At least with kickstarter it was openly losing proposition for people who gave money.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    So three "indies" who struggled to attract publishers have come together to form a publisher?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    wat

Does this mean there's gonna be bimonthly Kickstarters of InXile/Double Fine/Obsidian or am I reading it wrong?

lol

Bankruptcy within six months confirmed.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  18. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Fuck Tim Schafer and anything that involves him.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I think they don't mean "alternating" in the literal sense. More like "we'll have some of these and some of those".

^ Top  
  20. 28.8bps Modem Prophet

28.8bps Modem
    Oh, OK. So it's Kickstarter for Joe Public, but accredited investors can actually get equity. Well, that's a load of bollocks then.

I don't get it. If actual people with millions in liquid assets sitting around wanted to fund your whatever, then why wouldn't they just fund it and skip the step of giving some bullshit website a cut? If you're relying on the public to fund you, then Kickstarter already exists. It's not technically illegal, it's just pointless and stupid.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Oh, you're right. Not sure why I interpreted it so literally.

I guess we'll be seeing a new Double Fine or Obsidian kickstarter soon, unless this thing turns out to be a major failure.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I don't know about the equity part, but I can tell you from what I've heard that from a usability perspective, Kickstarter is a huge pain in the ass that has gone too long without serious competition. You can't modify your tiers, the update posting interface rivals (maybe exceeds) the RPG Codex front page for crappiness, etc.

If what they really wanted all this time is to launch their own better crowdfunding platform with the equity stuff as an added bonus to make it seem more "sexy", then hey, why not.

^ Top  
  23. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Wouldn't trust Schafer with money, fat fuck can't even do basic addition.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  24. 28.8bps Modem Prophet

28.8bps Modem
    Surely that's a feature, not a bug. You don't want projects fucking around with the reward tiers after launch, that way lies endless complaints from backers about reward tiers being shifted out from under them without warning.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  25. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It was only a matter of time before something like this was going to happen. Curious to see how this goes.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)