Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Aug 18, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Crazy Justice, not-Fortnite funded via Fig:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/crazyjustice

It only got $32K of investment. Will be fun to watch how this fares in the investment front.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks like 100% cancer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    Why did Fargo want Fig again?

^ Top  
  4. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Because it's an easy money making scam.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Lord Romulus Arcane

Lord Romulus
    What's even going on with Psychonauts 2? That was announced in like 2015 and there still isn't even a release date yet.

^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I was buying groceries in my favourite shop yesterday, and suddenly I noticed Tim Schafer at the counter. I was a bit nervous meeting him, but I thought what the hell, this is a now or never moment. So I said Hi to him. He looked surprised and greeted me with a confused Hello. Then I asked him about the state of Psychonauts 2, and questioned him about the lack of updates. He still looked confused, and while he was mumbling something about a vertical slice, and pre-alpha, he was constantly looking left and right, as if he was hoping somebody will save him from this conversation.

But I persisted, and pointed my finger to his chest. I said to him: Hey Tim, you better deliver Psychonauts 2, because I defended you on the RPG Codex, and I don't want to look a bigger fool than I'm already am. As soon as he heared the name RPG Codex, he turned pale, and started sweating like a big. He said nervously: haha, of course I will deliver, just tell your friends on the Codex that everything will be allright, I don't want to make them angry again.

With that, I let him on his way. But I noticed that he continued to look back over his shoulder until he left the grocery store.

Show Spoiler
    LOL, I wanted to ask Tim about the updates on twitter, and I just realized that he muted me. XD I think he got butthurt when I called him out on some SJW shit earlier.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Indiegogo flexible funding rediscovered: https://gamedaily.biz/article/846/f...nded-funding-option-for-indie-game-developers

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • decline x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Whoever wrote this simile should be humanely euthanized.

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The idea is pretty good but I think the overall eficiency depends if the project is waterfall or agile.

Could work nicely!

^ Top  
  10. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Fig et al. don't even exist in my personal universe anymore.

I was a true believer in the Kickstarter revival when I registered here at the Codex in 2012, which is why I registered in the first place. Prior to that, I had little to no motivation to discuss cRPGs, because I'd already played through almost all of the good ones during the 1990s and early 2000s.

Unfortunately, it's turned out that absolutely none of the best RPGs (and tactical, strategy, management, and immersive sim games, which Codexers tend to enjoy) developed from 2012-2019 were the products of crowdfunding. Factorio, Underrail, Age of Decadence, and Prey were developed without crowdfunding, for example, and Prey was AAA. Instead, crowdfunded games have an incredible track record of being terrible, mediocre, or vaporware.

I've said this before and I'll say it once again: We need to get the greedy corporate suits back into the offices and breathing down these nerds' necks. Throwing money at Californian hipsters only to watch them mismanage the fraction of said funds that escapes California's extravagant costs of living is bizarrerie in the extreme (I've been reading Lovecraft again lately, it's my vocabulary word this week, fuck off).

• Disagree x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    The corporate suits are still in offices and still producing garbage.
    I don't know what Prey is, but neither of the other 3 games you mentioned had corporate suits involved.

You won't get anything better from Obsidian or inXile no matter how many of them you get breathing down their necks. There's just nothing left there.
    And the corporate suits will deliver what the market wants and the market is shit so you won't get the "90s gold games" just because someone throws more money at the developers.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    It's Arkane Studios' swan song (they developed Arx Fatalis), an immersive sim that involves ink monsters taking over an alternate-future corporate space station.

The other three games were developed by enthusiasts and/or loose-cannon programmers on shoestring budgets, which is also how many great and innovative games were developed in the 1980s and early to middle 1990s.

All true. At least they won't be wasting my money making games I don't want to play, though.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)