Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Everything in one illustration
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  2. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  3. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    If your definition of adult is "likes to piss money away", then I'm glad I'm just an average Codexian.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  4. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Just imagine they named Kickstarter 'You Won't Get Shit' instead.

I wonder if Schafer ran that name through his DF comrade.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  6. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    They are betting there are a lot more Dracogen-types.

Pretty much, people with $10k to spend on a video game are less likely to be impressed with the return on investment being "fly down to California and get drunk with a bunch of nerds," which tends to be the high-tier reward on Kickstarter. You would think that throwing in that kind of money would actually buy you a piece of the (potential) action. DoubleFine, Obsidian, and inXile are probably all more than willing to offer that kind of deal, but those kind of deals are regulated by the SEC, which Kickstarter or for-damn-sure Indiegogo aren't equipped to handle. It requires a new entity.

I'm sure Dracogen's involvement in these games actually did involve contracts hashed out individually with lawyers. This Fig company is an attempt to streamline that process and scale it so that one-on-one legal negotiations aren't necessary for possibly dozens or more investors.

Like a lot of ideas, it's good one if it works.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, with a "millionaires only" policy and $1000 buy-in for equity I'm not exactly jumping out of my chair at this fantastic opportunity. It would have been cool to pledge $20 and then years from now get 0.03 in royalties over Paypal, but oh well.

Other than that, it just looks like "Kickstarter again" but without inXile/Obsidian having to pay outrageous fees to KS or whatever when they pitch a game. And in that light I can actually support it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    "Micro-investment" is still relatively new. It's harder to get regulatory approval to offer this kind of thing to people who aren't "accredited investors" for good reason – so that regulators can make sure someone isn't running a scam on the general public. Accredited investors are supposed to know better, so you can legally sell them "investments" with less oversight, and shame on them if they get scammed.

Also, "not a scam" doesn't mean "you won't lose your money" – it only means "you can keep an eye on your money as it evaporates due to good old fashioned incompetence rather than thievery"

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Tical Arcane

Tical
    That's not his worst offense. The number 1 "Fuck Off Forever" reason he should be loathed is for flat out deceptively lying his double chins off from the get-go. Starts Kickstarter, reels in fans by hyping challenging old school adventure game for old school Lucasarts fans, then slowly shits out baby's first SJW adventure for his daughter. Goes on to admit as much on TV as he sucks the sweaty balls of trannies and rainbow heads for cuck points. Fuck him and anything he'll ever again be involved with. He now dwells below Molyneux, Bethesda, Bioware and even that guy who came here spamming his browser strategy game. "It's free! Come give it a try."

• Brofist Brofist x 33
    ^ Top  
  10. getter77 Augur

getter77
    Fargo's comment on Twitter about likening this to the pursuit of a financing access situation roughly comparable to what the film industry has availed itself all these years speaks pretty directly for good and ill alike---I would be surprised if this wasn't beget from them trying to push Kickstarter to improve and overhaul various attributes as one of the pillars holding the site up of late in terms of their growth/publicity and getting pretty well nowhere fast.

^ Top  
  11. 28.8bps Modem Prophet

28.8bps Modem
    Other than the 34K of funny money that I guess was put in by the owners of the site, their inaugural project hasn't actually gathered that many pledges considering the news blitz. Wouldn't it be amusing if it failed?
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Good point ... but Kickstarter is already a no-guarantee throw your money away type of deal. Of course, KS is framed as a "donation" service which has different legal expectations. Still, from my perspective there's not much difference between "pledge $20 and maybe you'll get a game" and "pledge $x to us and maybe you'll get a game and royalties later".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. 28.8bps Modem Prophet

28.8bps Modem
    It's mostly because selling shares in companies promising to create something astonishing was the favourite scam of the gilded age, so it's long since been regulated. I wouldn't be at all surprised if down the line some countries decide that the more traditional crowdfunding model isn't actually a donation but a sale, and needs to levy whatever the local sales tax. It's certainly treading a thin line.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  14. Sam Ecorners Arcane

Sam Ecorners
    So Schaffer is swingin it like it's a thing for regular peons, backing at $30 tiers? LOLOLOOLO most of these enlightened gamers will never come close to 200k salary. Schaffer is such a scamlord.

As of the platform, on the other hand, it's fine. I doubt Fargo would completely ignore KS with its userbase. This is just for their buddies to make throwing cash at each other easier.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    I think they overemphasized the "You have to be a MILLIONAIRE!" thing, and also they seemed to tell the press that traditional Kickstarter-like backer rewards would be available later, when really they seem to be available now. So, many people reading the news articles think they can't yet back the game. Not to mention that the site times out when you attempt to actually pledge…

Of the three board members, hopefully they'll let Feargus go first. I'm not one of those who hates Schafer, but I think he misjudged the scope of his project, designed it too big, had to make too many compromises cutting it back.

It's very interesting that Fargo just wrapped a Kickstarter only a little more than a month ago, and didn't wait to make it a campaign under his new company. I just asked him why on Twitter; we'll see if he responds.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This initiative is actually the first confirmation in a long time that Feargus is even still thinking about crowdfunding.

Oh wait, heh: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9881

That's from May. Fig has been around since March. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    [​IMG]

:nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 25
    ^ Top  
  18. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It isn't the last time a KickStarter only technically fulfilled the provisions of a promise.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Looks like they realised they seriously disappointed most of their audience and now are looking to bypass the public when it comes to funding.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  20. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Showing nothing but contempt for the people that buy his games, that grew up with them.

Of course, never meet your heroes. But considering what Schafer meant to an adventure fan in the 90's and just how bad it got its by far the biggest disappointment to come out of kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Dante cites the fig sign in Inferno, and means fuck you.
    Seems to be quite widespread in all human cultures tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    For them?
    Sure.
    For prospect investors?
    Not quite.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    If Schafer is onboard they might as well get Herve onboard too.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  24. Chamezero Guest

Chamezero
    Waiting for Inafune to join them...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    I don't see this ending well for the potential investors.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)