Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Perkel

Arcane
Yup after FF6 best ff will come to PC. This will be probably smarphone port but it is better than nothing. At least mods will probably fix it.

Looks like they did something to FMVS because they look a lot better and are in 16:9 not 4:3. Texture works doen't seem to be touched at all on other hand so this won't be as horrible as "FF6 graphics in hd"

Perkel

Arcane
eda1bae8b47cba47e55880ec45aaa2b1.jpg

doesn't look half bad for 17 year old game. Glorious 2D backgrounds masterrace.

new UI:

aa9ff8bd152ab8be4d0c8e420aaa1669.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Also there seems to be package of high res art that leaked few years ago so maybe modders will be able to update art.

xPz5gxJ.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yup after FF6 best ff will come to PC. This will be probably smarphone port but it is better than nothing. At least mods will probably fix it.

There are no smartphone versions for FF past VI, at least none that I know of. This will be the first.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Also there seems to be package of high res art that leaked few years ago so maybe modders will be able to update art.

Its the original art made for the game. After that it was downscaled for psx. So, if Square still has all that stuff they might as well use it directly......

Perkel

Arcane
Looks great, sharper and clearer than I ever managed to get on an emulator. Hope the original PS1 translation is kept.

Frankly speaking i would rather see proper CRT scanlines reproduction (yes even older 3D titles)
Older console games were made with those scanlines in mind.

Case in point FFVI (CRT blur and scanlines):

Same thing with older games where textures usually were without any kind of flitering CRT scanlines and blurring managed to make it look way better.

Martius

Liturgist
Is game itself worthy a try? I never owned psx so I had no occasion to play it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes. Good characters, good story, good character developpement. It's also the least grindy FF (you don't really need to level up). The fights are short, if not hard enough.

Perkel

Arcane
Is game itself worthy a try? I never owned psx so I had no occasion to play it.

Imo best FF and imo best jRPG there is.

Story up until the end is consistent and fun to follow
Jorney itself is imo amazing and it never has pacing issues
Shitload of awesome FMVs that are actually fun to watch and are meaningful.
Amazing music
No usual jRPG pedo parade
Lighthearhed theme that look more like disney movie than jrpg animu.
Ton of optional stuff to find, do etc which are actually fun

This is jRPG done right.

Martius

Liturgist
Sounds good! Now I hope that somehow wont screw up pc version.

Viata

Arcane
Yes. Good characters, good story, good character developpement. It's also the least grindy FF (you don't really need to level up). The fights are short, if not hard enough.
Indeed. Given that you don't get exp from bosses. As long as you understand the Abilities system, you are good to go and can even finish with low level with no problem at all.

Perkel

Arcane
I also want to add that this play really more like adventure game (without many puzzles) than jRPG.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Indeed. Given that you don't get exp from bosses. As long as you understand the Abilities system, you are good to go and can even finish with low level with no problem at all.

Theres even challenge run guides for finishing at lvl 1. Entirly possible as bosses don't give xp.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Theres even challenge run guides for finishing at lvl 1. Entirly possible as bosses don't give xp.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
FF IX best FF confirmed.

My first jRPG that pretty much set the bar for m expectations when playing other jRPGs. Story is presented lightheartedly and is actually pretty good, with very good balance of serious and funny moments. It also have one of the best music composition compared to other FF. The only bad thing about FF IX is the rope jumping. Really, fuck it.

FF IX is what the modern FF games could have been, but instead we got actiony teen angst drama with character design straight of Korean boyband/girlband. And the only FF-like games are now 3DS games with stupid boblehead graphic.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Great game, i've replayed it 7 times. If someone wants to know, what is so good about that famous Final Fantasy series, then this is the entry that shows it all: fantastic music, nice story with some really likeable characters, fun gameplay and cherful (and nostalgic at the same time) atmosphere.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
FFIX is the FF I would recommend to someone who has never played any Final Fantasy.

HotSnack

Cipher
Zidane was the last FF protagonist that was a true bro: a scoundrel and a ladies man, and wasn't afraid to leap into action when his bros/broettes needed him. Basically he was the FF version of Han Solo. Vivi and Freya were also great. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom