Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that didn't have a problem with combat speed in ffix.

And I replayed it a year ago!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Didn't really have problem with the animation, although compared to past and future FF titles, FFIX pales in difficulty factor. There is no really insane super boss or something that requires some planning (well ozma do requires planning, but who the heck know about those critters without opening a guide).

What I like the most in the combat though is the fact that each character is different enough that rotating them sometime was fun, just like FF VI. FF V,VII, VIII have no difference between character beside the limit break.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It may be light-hearted and fun, but it's not emo and GAY AS ALL HELL like pretty much every other Final Fantasy game. This game rox. Hope the port doesn't suck.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
TBH, gay emo bishies were one of the better reasons to play Final Fantasy titles.

Taskityo

Educated
Is game itself worthy a try? I never owned psx so I had no occasion to play it.

Yes, its worth a shot if you've at least played any other FF or jRPG in general. Although, as some others mentioned, I too would recommend FF9 to anyone that hasn't played an FF and wants to give one a go. The setting, music, characters, etc. are all pretty cool/unique. Its not that challenging of a game though (easiest FF imo).

Azeot

Arbiter
oh yes :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
I spent so many fucking hours playing this game on my new PS1, and double that amount with friends doing the theatrical duel at the beginning, trying to impress the queen as much as possible.
Amazing how a re-release of an old ass game gets me more excited than 95% of the modern shit.

A user named cat

Great game marred by embarrassing tranny outfit villain, awful chocobo treasure hunts, decline card game and the slow as turtle shit ATB gauges. Thankfully someone made a mod for the PS1 version to speed them up, hopefully the same is done for PC release.

Though with PS1 version, you could just play it through Mednafen/RetroArch and bind 'fast forward' to a controller key.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Holy shit those backgrounds look awful.

ss_fe4fbd8ac03bd989739f3ccff2a19aba91b4d883.1920x1080.jpg

Bahamut

Arcane
Holy shit those backgrounds look awful.

ss_fe4fbd8ac03bd989739f3ccff2a19aba91b4d883.1920x1080.jpg

Well thats upscaled PSX background for you, really shame that they probably lost the original assets,
I wonder if it will come bundled with that terrible squenix DRM 7 and 8 have,

Still i will stick with the original PSX version, just bought an ol'PSP for a bargain price to play some PSX titles

Also look at the system specs on the steam site :lol:

• Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or higher
  • Memory:2 GB RAM
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS or ATI Radeon HD4650 or higher
  • DirectX:Version 11
  • Storage:20 GB available space
  • Sound Card:DirectSound® compatible sound card(DirectX®9.0c or later)

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor:Core i5 2520 2.5GHz or better
    • Memory:4 GB RAM
    • DirectX:Version 11
    • Storage:20 GB available space
    • Sound Card:DirectSound® compatible sound card(DirectX®9.0c or later)

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh. Will probably stick with emulator. Turbo speed + Anywhere instant save/load states.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
Yes. Good characters, good story, good character developpement. It's also the least grindy FF (you don't really need to level up). The fights are short, if not hard enough.
Sorry what? I must remember it wrongly because AFAIK the story starts with:

Princess: I had to run away from my mother because she has changed so much.

Little later:

Princess: My mami is starting a war. I have to go back to convince her to stop!

And then she puts a sleeping potion in the food of the other characters, who still
run after her to rescue her!

FF9 is the first FF I never finished. I stopped playing at the end of the first CD.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Since it's followed up by "My mami has me captured and killed to gain power", "Bahamut just fucked mami in the ass" and "I still feel sad that my whoremother died" it develops quite better than most FFs, and this is only Garnets storyline that meshes with the others. I certainly found something like FF7s "the evil corporation is destroying the planet" plot, followed up by "my childhood rival needs to die" way more generic, and most other characters didn't have a story to them at all except for a little sidequest here and there.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"my childhood rival needs to die" way more generic
No bro, FF8's story is about a time-traveling witch who sends herself to the past, so her adopted sons can help her stop her in the future, as she time-travels to all time periods to become a god with the help of herself in the past.

There's also SPACE! and soemthing about past lives, I dunno.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"my childhood rival needs to die" way more generic
No bro, FF8's story is about a time-traveling witch who sends herself to the past, so her adopted sons can help her stop her in the future, as she time-travels to all time periods to become a god with the help of herself in the past.

There's also SPACE! and soemthing about past lives, I dunno.
There's also some love story about a pair who didn't get to be happy forever ever after, but their kids end up with each other.

My mom called it trashy.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, Squall is an annoying whiny emo teen, which I think is the only main FF series protag that fits the cliche. But if I were him, I'd probably be an emo too, considering the retarded people around him. Quistis, for example, she's retarded enough to go back all the way through a sewer just to apologize to Rinoa, in the middle of a mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom