Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Severian Silk

I've heard complaints about the FFVI remake, which sucks because it's my favorite.

Sentinel

Arcane
PC FF IX version got a fan patch for the mobile UI
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy9/mods/11?tab=files

xCq267I.png
2l4ao9K.png

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Theres currently a french modder trying to overhaul the port

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/

PSX like Battle UI is planned for a future update.

I was just about to replay the game, so I tried this, here are some screens from the beginning of the game, and from the end with a previous save:

Z2wp9nR.jpg

Cqb1uzf.jpg

zuaHvo2.jpg

zOVJ2vN.jpg

xnXzkQk.jpg

wKFQjQy.jpg

Got 100% on the first try, my years of training with QTE in shitty games have finally paid off!

HmfFNkR.jpg

I remember the effects of flames on the candles here (and in the rest of the game) being misplaced when this version came out, I don't know if it was fixed with a patch or with this mod.

Xi7xaTh.jpg

H6A1VE8.jpg

PjuBPwx.jpg

Nice artifacts around those columns :M

EqmeQzK.jpg

FqvxN8P.jpg

qLhsaUe.jpg

dbqQViR.jpg

It looks less prosperous than what I feared, and the horrid new music is thankfully optional, so I'll keep playing with the mod.

Tigranes

Arcane
Honestly, on the balance of it all, PSX1 version emulated seems the way to go. I would actually have paid for the Switch version if they put in even minimal effort, but it seems like with music bug, the UI, input lag, etc. it's a fucking Beamdog job.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Honestly, on the balance of it all, PSX1 version emulated seems the way to go. I would actually have paid for the Switch version if they put in even minimal effort, but it seems like with music bug, the UI, input lag, etc. it's a fucking Beamdog job.

Ehhh, no. Backgrounds are still going to suck. Emulation generally sucks for games sporting pre-rendered stuff (imo).

At the moment original PSX played on a CRT still supreme.
PC Version with mods second (with the potential for first if UI and that damn music loop ever gets fixed. Though I can live with the second more thanks to the random encounter toogle)
Emulated PSP/Vita version third.

Mobile shit and every other modern port dead last.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I fucking hate Zidane. Garnet should have hooked up with Lani.

Ehhh, no. Backgrounds are still going to suck. Emulation generally sucks for games sporting pre-rendered stuff (imo).

Use CRT filters. They make the game look much better in my experience. Of course an actual CRT is the way to go, but the CRT shaders really hide the uglyness.

Tbh I never understood FF series. Tried 1/3 of them, never made it until the end. It's either way too childish or way too typical and boring. And it kills the mood to play as some fag. Often it feels like weeaboo adventure story, not RPG. Often discussed soundtrack also didn't touched me, can't even remember a single tune from all the FF games I've played.

Or do I simply lack nostalgia for not playing it as a kid?

You lack nostalgia for not playing it as a kid. I don't think it is a coincidence the only JRPGs I "like" are the ones I played as a kid. Final Fantasy IX may be singlehandedly the game I'm most nostalgic about: it was my first RPG, back when I was about 12. Sure, I completed Final Fantasy VII later (I remember putting down the game after seeing how awful the character models were compared to FFIX's), but Final Fantasy IX is still my favorite title when nostalgia gets in the way.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Use CRT filters. They make the game look much better in my experience. Of course an actual CRT is the way to go, but the CRT shaders really hide the uglyness.

(Certain) CRT filters are great and they do wonders, especially on pixel art, but they don't do shit to improve displaing low resolution prerendered art on a high resolution display. Its still going to suck.

Tigranes

Arcane

At the moment original PSX played on a CRT still supreme.
PC Version with mods second (with the potential for first if UI and that damn music loop ever gets fixed. Though I can live with the second more thanks to the random encounter toogle)
Emulated PSP/Vita version third.

Mobile shit and every other modern port dead last.

I was actually leaving aside original PSX, since that's a pretty bothersome step for those who haven't kept their setup around for whatever reason. But sure. The point is that they really fucked up the ports.

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking thrive on the FF series, but I just could not buzz of FF9.

Don't get me wrong, it's OK. It is a perfectly serviceable and fine FF game. But it just bored me to play.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I was actually leaving aside original PSX, since that's a pretty bothersome step for those who haven't kept their setup around for whatever reason. But sure. The point is that they really fucked up the ports.

To be fair comperativly to all of Squares other ports FFIX was actually one of the better ones
(Improved charachter models, at least a bit of effort put into backgrounds, new engine and so on)
But thats nowhere near a compliment. That just shows how broken a lot of Square ports still are (and were never fixed) when they should be the definitve versions of each game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honmestly compared to fan favourites of IV, VI, or VII I find IX to be most enjoyable overall experience.

Loved the characters, loved the characters having unique skill sets, loved the theme, loved the art in general.

Steiner is still one of the better side character in the seris IMO, such a simple and genuine man.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
IX is absolutely fantastic, and I would argue stands up really well over time.

VI & VII are obviously great in their own way, but they - and of course VIII & X - are very juvenile to experience now. Where VIII or X in particular come across as pimpled teenage fanfics, IX has more of a medieval fairy tale feel to it (despite the whole "female heroine with their own pop song" thing they were pushing at the time) that really remains charming.

Gameplay wise it also manages to sensibly mix the best of the PSX era systems.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So I have no idea if it was already mentioned but I just found out about this thing: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/install

I have completed FF9 using an emulator so I didn't particularly care for the "remastered" version but from what I saw it was a jarring hackjob. This fan mod looks great though.

Yeah it got mentioned, but it got an update/rework recently so thanks for reminding. Remastered was so-so (new charachter models were decent to say the one good thing), but it did port the game to PC and made extensive modding possible.

Sentinel

Arcane
Not really. You can't actually mod to fix any of the game's (like animation speed and ATB speed independently) or the remaster's (menus that run at 15fps, mobile battle ui that takes 40% of the screen) issues.

The prettier backgrounds are cool to see once in a playthrough, but after that run I'd rather just play the PSX original any day of the week.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't like the upscaled backgrounds. The originals are meant to be realistic, the upscales look as if they were paintings at times. Like TheSentinel said, just play the original or emulate it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Not really. You can't actually mod to fix any of the game's (like animation speed and ATB speed independently) or the remaster's (menus that run at 15fps, mobile battle ui that takes 40% of the screen) issues.

The prettier backgrounds are cool to see once in a playthrough, but after that run I'd rather just play the PSX original any day of the week.

Well there's the scale mod. But I get you, should have just said that there's a pc version and certain modding in the first place.

I don't like the upscaled backgrounds. The originals are meant to be realistic, the upscales look as if they were paintings at times. Like TheSentinel said, just play the original or emulate it.

Nope. They were always more like paintings. (Edited) AI Upscale actually comes pretty close (As close as you can get without waaaay too much work)

Original Art before psxification

e3HhXVf.jpg

4aJCmC0.jpg

MvzPHKB.jpg

Cat Dude

Savant
No 60 fps, screen transition and battle animation is still slow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom