Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Echo-S mod demo released (unofficial remake)

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey guys,

Maybe some of you already know or heard about this mod for FF7 but for the guys that do not know, you should check it out. I quite sure it will be beter that the official SE remake.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/399317886
actual gameplay start at around 6:33 (h:mm)

Their Demo has been released so check it out (no more chibi lego models and much more)

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey guys,

Maybe some of you already know or heard about this mod for FF7 but for the guys that do not know, you should check it out. I quite sure it will be beter that the official SE remake.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/399317886
actual gameplay start at around 6:33 (h:mm)

Their Demo has been released so check it out (no more chibi lego models and much more)

Edit might have been beter placed in the jRPG section... sorry bout that.
feel free to move it!
Edit2: tnx for the move!

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It was kind of jarring that there's new music, voice acting, but the original 1997 sound effects.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Voicing Cloud? Removing the original soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu?

That's a yikes from me
All optional pretty much, so you can select what you like. And you can pick the remaster of the original.
But then what is the point of the mod?
not forcing you to install it. Also just spreading the word. It ain't my work or whatever.
Remade models,enhanced music and in improved background art is for me already a win.

Yosharian

Arcane
Voicing Cloud? Removing the original soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu?

That's a yikes from me
All optional pretty much, so you can select what you like. And you can pick the remaster of the original.
But then what is the point of the mod?
not forcing you to install it. Also just spreading the word. It ain't my work or whatever.
Remade models,enhanced music and in improved background art is for me already a win.
If these modders think that the original music needs to, or ought to be replaced, then they have no business touching the original work at all. What other things have they touched, I wonder.

The only thing this game needs is hi res backgrounds, aspect ratio/resolution support, and bug-fixing.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
then select those options only...
It still has the original music so it isn't "replaced"

Yosharian

Arcane
Does it work with ultrawide aspect rations? Is it bug-free? Is it easy to install?

I suspect the answer to all those questions is no.

But it has shitty voice acting and second-rate music replacers!

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Does it work with ultrawide aspect rations? Is it bug-free? Is it easy to install?

I suspect the answer to all those questions is no.

But it has shitty voice acting and second-rate music replacers!
quality post my man! next time when you shitpost, do some research first. you can go play your Fallout 4 and leave this topic. it ain't your cup of tea clearly.

Tigranes

Arcane
Googling doesn't give you a single main homepage, but the Nexus thread talks about a bunch of connected mods:

• New music
  • x4 upscaling
  • VA
  • New 3D models
  • Menu polish
  • 'Metal music pack'
  • Time/weather
  • Possibly Avalanche members survive as usable NPCs
Not ever touching the music/VA shit with a billion foot pole, what a pointless endeavour.

Models/backgrounds updating could be good, a quick look at the twitch feed looks as if backgrounds are higher res but with some weird colouration/post-processing going on possibly? Or is that just me not remembering how the game originally looked?

ATQvvQX.jpg

I don't really see anything that would make me bother.

Yosharian

Arcane
Apparently you are triggered by my comments?

FF7, low-res backgrounds aside, doesn't need to be 'fixed'. It doesn't need new sounds, it doesn't need new music, it doesn't need voice acting (jesus christ), it doesn't need new animations, it doesn't need new character models, it doesn't need new menus, it doesn't need upscaling, it doesn't need weather, it doesn't need new characters.

The game simply needs to be ported, bug-free, with aspect ratio support.

That's it.

For modders to even consider replacing any the original art, they'd have to consider themselves at least the equals of the original creators of FF7. Which they, clearly, are not.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Models/backgrounds updating could be good, a quick look at the twitch feed looks as if backgrounds are higher res but with some weird colouration/post-processing going on possibly? Or is that just me not remembering how the game originally looked?

I don't really see anything that would make me bother.

think your right on the background processing yes. It looks quite good actually. Replacing all the lego models is already a good enough mod. always hated those actually. The new models look really good to (no to big fan of Barret with glasses though)

This is the non metal music they added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITWOHpJQUWY

Via 7th heaven all the mods selectable so you can play with no remasterd music and no VO.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, I see that they made everything modular, which is good.

My question is how much they stuck with just upscaling & such for the models and backgrounds, and how much they fucked with it according to their own ideas. I see Cloud uses a new black attire, which I find to be an unnecessary and not really positive change, but it won't necessarily kill me. The weird colours on the backgrounds that are noticeable in those underground scenes - at one point the ladders positively glow fluorescent yellow - are a big turnoff.

There's a reason that stuff like new metal music become a warning sign for the rest of the mod: it signals to the user that the modder doesn't really care about preserving the integrity of the original game, and will insert whatever they think is cool willy-nilly. I'm trying to judge only the specific modules that matter to me, though.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
There's a reason that stuff like new metal music become a warning sign for the rest of the mod: it signals to the user that the modder doesn't really care about preserving the integrity of the original game, and will insert whatever they think is cool willy-nilly. I'm trying to judge only the specific modules that matter to me, though.
Yea I will never use the metal variant myself. Can it be that you see the black attire later in the stream? if so, if was his AC wear that was unlocked at that point. The models they get are partly modded ripped models from the others FF games like Dissidia. There was also a Cloud model on Qhimm that remained more original to FF7. Anyway I'm liking the model they use (not to fan of the AC one)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The Cloud model seems to be a rip from the Advent Children, which was made by Square.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Cloud model seems to be a rip from the Advent Children, which was made by Square.
Though that brings us to another important detail, which is that Square themselves have been fucking with the aesthetics of FF7 a long time too and this sort of stuff is only doubling down on making it look worse because the original look that was more manga/anime stylized was GOOD.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Why are these mod projects always, always ALWAYS so fucking horrible and cringe?
Because their motivation was never born out of respect for the source material to begin with. 99% of these projects are ego-driven shitshows for internet goodboy points and digital asspats. The only thing FF7 needs is:

1. Bugfixes.
2. Competent translation.
3. A completely optional patch to restore cut content in a sane and seamless way.

That's it. That's all. STOP FUCKING WITH IT.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why are these mod projects always, always ALWAYS so fucking horrible and cringe?
Because their motivation was never born out of respect for the source material to begin with. 99% of these projects are ego-driven shitshows for internet goodboy points and digital asspats. The only thing FF7 needs is:

1. Bugfixes.
2. Competent translation.
3. A completely optional patch to restore cut content in a sane and seamless way.
4. Options for higher difficulty.

That's it. That's all. STOP FUCKING WITH IT.

Fixed it.

Just the thought of voice acting added to FF7 by some fanboys makes me cringe. And new music? What in the fuck?

I already took care of FF7 on my own with:

• Beacause retranslation
  • Remako backgrounds
  • Updated character models
  • HD menus

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm always wary of re-translations because they're always too literal and end up being less interesting than the official localizations. Fans always make the mistake of thinking a translation should be translating everything literally and are about as subtle about it as a club.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom