Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I hate that this is only 1/3 the storyline and I hate that I am going to play it anyway.

qjKnkMYxo5XoM98JFD9-8UnJz0s9CR8CVK9F1yy_u06fUWGEj0DEqbaBxKbmJO1Z9FfYIAOEBU5JNDbLHb-7J5BliEsC

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Damn, am I really gonna buy a console and a TV just to play this?
Well, the game has a 1 year exclusivity deal for the Playstation 4, which means there's a real chance of it being released on the PC afterwards, which is what Square has been doing recently.

Soundtrack

Man, a lot of this is great, but the Scorpion fight song (Those Who Fight Further) is such a huge disappointment. Why would they make a prog rock song into orchestral mush? So much is lost in the bombast.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Ack, the opening looks like butt.

-longer for no reason
-Added weird opera chanting to the soundtrack
-reveal the city before the big crescendo so it has less impact
-cut to silence after the train attack transition ??? why

When you copy a Rembrandt, don't think you can improve the style.

Why would they make a prog rock song into orchestral mush?

They should have used this version

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I liked the first 75% of it. The part with avalanche getting off the train was cringe. The way the characters move, the way they grunt and talk. Tropey in an uncomfortable to watch way.

Terra

Cipher
Damn, am I really gonna buy a console and a TV just to play this?
Really no reason to do so at this point, an improved version is doubtless coming for next gen consoles & pc a year after release. You've waited this long, what's one more year?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've only played a few minutes so far but man classic mode is shit. It doesn't feel like a classic turn based JRPG at all. Classic mode is just "let the game play its self" mode. I ended up switching to normal after the first two fights. Really disappointing. I feel like I'm stuck with this arpg combat if I really want to enjoy the game. At least it's not FFXV arpg shit. It feels more like Crisis Core. I'll post something more detailed once I've finished the demo unless something pisses me off before then.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Ok, forget what I said about posting longer and more detailed stuff after I finish. I feel more like pausing and posting my thoughts as they come to me. I hope no one minds the spamming or blog posting.

Jessie is super hot. My middle school crush on her feels much more justified now. Biggs looks like a badass. They did a great job on his design. Wedge looks kind of weird like he doesn't fit in with the more realistic design of the other characters and the world. Pressing triangle to talk to people and open boxes is weird. I don't know why they went with that instead of X. I feel dirty saying this but I like the combat so far. It's not what I wanted and still not what I would prefer but it's not bad. That's probably because I was a HUGE fan of Crisis Core.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
They made some odd choices with this intro. For some reason you start with Fire instead of Lightning as your first materia. Seems like a random choice. Going with lightning would have been better for nostalgia purposes. Holding square lets you do a heavy attack that hits multiple enemies and sends them flying. That's nice for bigger fights. Guard dogs have way more hitpoints and seem way more powerful than the random security grunts which is another odd choice.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I finished the demo. It was pretty short. It ends right after you blow up the mako reactor.

I'm not big on the story changes.
I don't see why they were showing the shinra president so early and I don't like that they changed it to where shinra caused the huge explosion instead of AVALANCHE causing it.

The combat is fucky. It's not horrible but feels a little clunky. It's not as good as Crisis Core but feels a little more tactical. I think I'll probably end up buying the remake when it comes out but it's still not what I wanted. 6.5/10 from what I played. Maybe a 7.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I don't see why they were showing the shinra president so early and I don't like that they changed it to where shinra caused the huge explosion instead of AVALANCHE causing it.

Because you can't show good guys doing bad things anymore, sweetie. Grey morality is passé, everything needs to be a marvel movie now.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finished the demo. It was pretty short. It ends right after you blow up the mako reactor.

I'm not big on the story changes.

The combat is fucky. It's not horrible but feels a little clunky. It's not as good as Crisis Core but feels a little more tactical. I think I'll probably end up buying the remake when it comes out but it's still not what I wanted. 6.5/10 from what I played. Maybe a 7.
My second biggest worry is the changes in the story are in favor of appealing to people with nostalgia, pandering to the biggest moment in the original game. Aka it changed in favor for people who played the original instead of polishing the imperfections of the original story.

They showing the shinra boss could either be early foreshadowing because the game is split apart or it's nostalgia pandering "hey hey hey look at this guy!!? You know him right? Please get hyped!! " another example is hinting us that big death scene to the point it's obnoxious instead of natural foreshadowing.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Here's some random videos I took of the demo if anyone wants to see them. They mostly just show off combat.

Here you can see the melee abilities menu and the fire materia being used. You start with two melee abilities. One is for damage dealing and the other is for staggering enemies so you can deal a bunch of damage while they are stunned. You have to fill your ATB gauge before you can do anything other than block, attack, or dodge. You can't even use items without a bar of ATB.

Here's the last video I took. You can see a bit more combat and I go through the menus at the end. There's no equipment menu but I assume that's just because it's early in the game. There are two combat modes for Cloud. In the first one you move and attack much faster. In the second mode you are extremely slow but deal more damage. You can't block or dodge in the second mode and if you try it kicks you back into the main combat style.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One guess I could make regarding the changes to the bomb is that AVALANCHE's bomb was not up to the task in the first place, and the whole situation with not only being able to assault the reactor successfully (one thing possibly suggesting a set-up is that AVALANCHE has only one contact inside Shinra, who happened to be able to get them the access codes to the reactor elevator; alternatively it might be Reeve but I think that would be a bad change considering Reeve's character arc in the original game) but how in the long run Shinra never really cared about that reactor anyway is that they're setting it up as part of whatever President Shinra was planning on doing now that he thinks he's almost found the Promised Land. At least, that's one guess.

To me the biggest concern changes are still Sephiroth apparently showing up more judging by the trailers, and I don't quite like the new headache and hallucinations thing quite as much as the red overlay and screeching noise with a voice.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To me it looked like all it did was damage the thingamabob with a fairly anemic puff compared to the actual explosion, I'm not sure if that's enough to do the job. At least, I'd imagine the gang expected it to do way more given that they were in a hurry to escape before the counter goes down. And they don't seem to be at all surprised by the huge explosion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom