Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

mogwaimon

Magister
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/560875362 probably a bit self indulgent but I did stream the demo just now. It was actually better than I thought it'd be and some of the changes they made are interesting but I'm not fond of the combat system. This hybrid shit won't make anyone happy, IMO

jungl

Augur
combat looks bad. Holding circle to attack game plays itself for you. Reminds me of the technomancer rather then ff7. 4/10 hard pass for me maybe play it in a year for few hours then uninstall

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I kind of don't want to buy it in a way. At the very least I'd rather wait for the PC version than play it on my roommate's PS4, but at the same time it seems like my only options for new releases in the next few months are this and the censored western release of P5R, neither of which is super appealing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I found the combat system to be alright (and it is in a pretty good spot when it comes to challenge I think), just three things irked me: 1) the default button layout takes some time to get used to (I seem to instinctively press triangle to access a menu or alternate attacking; speaking of which, switching between Cloud's attack modes feels a little clunky), 2) the dodge roll lacking i-frames feels off, 3) there's a bit of a thing with attacks from outside your camera, and there's instances nearing visual overload.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Holy shit.

Naoki Hamaguchi: You’ve picked up some really good points here! [laughs] You’re exactly right. We felt the point at which Red XIII joins the party in the story is very late on so we thought okay, if we’re gonna have him as a full character and try and get the player to enjoy his character development arc and growth as a character through that, it’s not really enough time to do that.

So we thought that the best way to have him involved was as a guest character. Normally throughout the game you’ll be playing as a three-man party, but you will have him as a guest character that fights alongside you during the the last part of the story there. He’ll be using all of his old really nostalgic moves, and you’ll see that. We felt that was the best way of showing him off as a character and who he is. That’s why we felt that was the best way to include him.

Basically this confirms that the game ends as you leave Midgar. First, how are they stretching the ~6 hour Midgar segment into a full game, and second, how is the entire 90% of the rest of the game going to work?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After having played the demo, I can safely ignore this. Maybe I'll watch a YouTube playthrough or something. Combat was rather boring. Voice acting was so-so and story changers are a bit hmm... inducing.

Maybe I will get the complete edition of all games in 2035 for nostalgia reasons.

Yeah, hopefully in the final game you'll be able to change the button layout. I'd rather have my block on the left trigger and the command shortcuts on the right with allies commands on the bumpers. The face buttons are more or less ok, although the evade might be better on the X with the Command Menu on O or ▲.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Basically this confirms that the game ends as you leave Midgar. First, how are they stretching the ~6 hour Midgar segment into a full game, and second, how is the entire 90% of the rest of the game going to work?
This confirms what we had already surmised: The first release will cover only the beginning of the original game, and Squaresoft will be milking this remake all the way through the 2020s.

Which I find endlessly amusing. :positive:

cruel

Cipher
Played through the demo. The game is not shit, which is good news. Probably not GOTY material by any means, but nobody will call it a massive disappointment. Combat is decent (real-time plus pause / commands), the characters look authentic, voice acting is OK.

The sad part: why this game has more attractive women (Jesse, Tifa, Aerith) that all mainstream RPG games released in last few years? :(

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
haven't seen this footage posted anywhere, it's not from the demo:

this i think is definitely post-demo, i see some wreckage:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Will there be multiple difficulty modes?

in the demo there is Normal difficulty, then Easy and Even Easier (supposedly called Classic mode but it is nothing like turn-based, it just stops time so it's even easier for you to attack enemies)

sullynathan

Arcane
It's ok at best. Combat reminded me of KOTOR, real time with pause. Matter of fact, I would like a queue system for using spells and items like KOTOR. I found it odd that if I wanted to make Cloud and Barret use a spell or item at the same time, I couldn't. One has to use their spell when time has slowed down, then the animation happens, and then the next is allowed to use their spells or items.

sullynathan

Arcane
oh, and it isn't challenging really at least based on how the demo is balanced. Your ATB gauge goes up quickly in combat, and when you're not fighting it seems to go up regardless. I had about 23 health potions when fighting the final boss, so I never really came close to dying because healing is very effective and it costing an ATB gauge to use so far allows you to use it frequently because of how quickly the ATB gauge fills up.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I've watched footage of the demo. The city setting is very fitting for this type of ARPG. But I can't help but wonder how it can not look as silly as FF15 for every other locations/enemies in the game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Holy shit.

Naoki Hamaguchi: You’ve picked up some really good points here! [laughs] You’re exactly right. We felt the point at which Red XIII joins the party in the story is very late on so we thought okay, if we’re gonna have him as a full character and try and get the player to enjoy his character development arc and growth as a character through that, it’s not really enough time to do that.

So we thought that the best way to have him involved was as a guest character. Normally throughout the game you’ll be playing as a three-man party, but you will have him as a guest character that fights alongside you during the the last part of the story there. He’ll be using all of his old really nostalgic moves, and you’ll see that. We felt that was the best way of showing him off as a character and who he is. That’s why we felt that was the best way to include him.

As I already said the story and especially its pacing will be fucked beyond belief. Especially when they are going to rush the later parts the moment the game isn't making as much money anymore.

Also: Who the fuck is going to spend hunderds of hours just on a story the size of Final Fantasy VII? I predict people will be bored out of their mind even before reaching the temple of the ancients. Rather replay FFVII another time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom