Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

sullynathan

Arcane
That sounds like the absolute worst fucking waste of time even compared to not-particularly-difficult materia-xp-grinding original :M
Apparently, there is a "classic mode" that auto attacks and moves for you so you only need to choose when you want to use your ATB for spells, items and moves. Didn't test it out because it was even lower than easy mode.

If it is only around 6 hours long it wouldn't be a justifiable buy, especially at full price, no matter how good it is.

They've already said it's going to be the length of a normal game...something like 30 to 40 hours.

They also just let press play three hours of it. I doubt they just let them play half of the games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
god bless japs
zFF15Cindy.png

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
A lot of people aren't happy with the demo. Gameplay feels shit and the ost sounds shit compared to even how it sounded on PS1. But did anyone really think Square is still capable of greatness anymore? They could have fully remade Final Fantasy VII. But why remake the whole game when you can milk it with "parts" for the next 10 years. This is Square-Enix after all. The greatness died with Squaresoft

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The combat wasn't very intuitive and really chaotic (or I'm getting old). I even prefer XIII combat over this.
But the atmosphere and style are ok.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The new OST sounds awful. Shitty orchestra desecrates another soundtrack.
It sounds good in isolation. The issue is really that it gets too drowned out ingame and it lacks something that was one of the key features of the original Uematsu soundtrack: Organically synching up with the action.

The original soundtrack had a great sense of bombast, rising action, and synergy with the game. It was made with limited tools so it was almost purely built around its essentials.

I'd honestly guess that you could throw in the original soundtrack as it is over the Remake and it'd slot right in.

The new one would need some touches to work as it should (since as said, it sounds good listened to on its own). It needs more focus on a fewer instruments, it needs more energy, and it needs to not give so much ground to making sure the voiceover is heard. The trailer actually has a part where it shows it could be done, using the more energetic track around the end of it. In the demo it felt like it was trying its best not to bother anyone almost all the time.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The combat wasn't very intuitive and really chaotic (or I'm getting old). I even prefer XIII combat over this.

FF 13 combat wasn't bad at all, it could've been REALLY good in a more fleshed out game/system, but even constrained as it was in the extremely limiting world of FF13 it was enjoyable. Hell, I'd say the combat was probably the best thing in FF13.

I played thru 13 recently (well I dropped it around 70% thru, just got sick of it) and tbh I'm kind of mildly interested in playing 13-2 if only because I hear it has more fleshed out combat.

Vatnik Wumao

There's too many special effects flying about to keep track of enemies easily. Its also difficult to monitor your health in battle due to how the UI is designed. Though that is not so much of a problem since Cloud will verbally complain if his health is getting too low.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The sad part: why this game has more attractive women (Jesse, Tifa, Aerith) that all mainstream RPG games released in last few years? :(

Because it's Japanese.
Does anyone remember a Japanese game with an objectively ugly female character that wasn't a result of some fuckup? Everyone is hot, even the "ugly" characters are just a different kind of hot. I think Devil May Cry 5 was the last one to receive flack because of its female characters.

Ash

Arcane
Tried the demo. Garbage

-Orchestral soundtrack decline. I hate this trend so fucking much. The music is now often forgettable background ambience, rather than the magic of the original.
-The new dialogue is cringe (e.g battle chatter, hand-holding dialogue, Jessie whoring herself outright to you right off the bat with no subtlety, whereas there was originally only very mild innocent filirting 2 or so missions in).
-Another example of semi-handdrawn pre-rendered backgrounds proving to have more personality and style, or just outright visual appeal than modern 3D graphics. See: Resident Evil 2 remake.
I remember every screen in the original, with it's own unique look. Here the bombing mission is an ugly unmemorable mishmash of the color green and brown/silver industrial clutter.
-Why is Heiddeger no longer fat? It was a core humorous feature of his character.
-Needless to say, episodic decline.
-Its disgustingly hand-holdey. For a highlight of this, see the laser trap segment (also this new laser segement is dumb and crap. Should have just stuck with the original's door button timing challenge, simple as it was).

+The characters are no longer detailess polygonal dolls. Though something here is still lost. See: the original's animation. The original had tons of comedic unique cartoonish animation for those dolls. Think Don Corneo's horndog animations w/accompanying sound effects. Simply something that cannot be brought over here without being extremely jarring. Can't really fault the developers for this loss.
+The combat is seemingly OK I guess. It is more involved that the original, but more playtime than is provided in the demo is needed to analyse. Possibly the only thing that gives this remake any kind of real value.

It remains to be seen if FF7's other strong points make it through reasonably well, e.g pretty decent level design with frequent puzzle elements (See: Temple of the Ancients as an example), excellent materia system, and epic set pieces.

Fuck this gay shit, fuck SE, and fuck the "fans" that called for this butchery actually expecting it to be worthwhile in any way. There is no room for good old fashioned quality game design in the modern corporate game industry.

Once again, I advise just replaying the original with the "Hard Type" hack to make the gameplay stronger. Some solid entertainment.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

FF 13 combat wasn't bad at all, it could've been REALLY good in a more fleshed out game/system, but even constrained as it was in the extremely limiting world of FF13 it was enjoyable. Hell, I'd say the combat was probably the best thing in FF13.

I played thru 13 recently (well I dropped it around 70% thru, just got sick of it) and tbh I'm kind of mildly interested in playing 13-2 if only because I hear it has more fleshed out combat.

Yeah, the issue is just that it doesn't get real until you finish the majority of the game, and of course post game. The superbosses in FF13 belong to the best in the series as well (gameplay-wise). Its also enjoyable to go for 5 stars in every fight. While the rating doesn't affect the game mechanically it serves as a really good indicator at how optimized you approached each fight.

And I mean scary good sometimes as the timer reacts to your charachters progress and (seemingly) equipment even in endgame where that whole thing opens up. You get a ridiculous bonus time for bosses though.

that said I belong to the rare breed that are 13 fanboys.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, the issue is just that it doesn't get real until you finish the majority of the game, and of course post game. The superbosses in FF13 belong to the best in the series as well (gameplay-wise). Its also enjoyable to go for 5 stars in every fight. While the rating doesn't affect the game mechanically it serves as a really good indicator at how optimized you approached each fight.

And I mean scary good sometimes as the timer reacts to your charachters progress and (seemingly) equipment even in endgame where that whole thing opens up. You get a ridiculous bonus time for bosses though.

Yes that's why I'm open to the possibility of investing energy into 13-2, it has been sold to me as "like FF13 end-game except right from the start!!!11", but ofc hard to say how true that is. Everyone always has an agenda ^_^

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
To my knowledge, FF has maintained this art style for nearly two decades now so complaining about seems to be useless.

I'm almost inclined to agree, if it wasn't because FFX and FFXII characters don't look like idols. It was Final Fantasy XIII that started the trend IMO.
But it is useless, as people only care about kawaii Cloud and sugoi Tifa-chan and Aeris-chan.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Yes that's why I'm open to the possibility of investing energy into 13-2, it has been sold to me as "like FF13 end-game except right from the start!!!11", but ofc hard to say how true that is. Everyone always has an agenda ^_^

Highs aren't as high, lows aren't nearly as low (battle system wise).

I really like the game (XIII-2) and its probably my favourite since 9 (except the really good parts of 12 of course), but yeah. The funny thing about the 13 series is that every entry has their own fans. I'm one of the few that got something out of all 3, but since every entry feels pretty different from the other it's hard to rely on opinions.

Edit: Sigourn I get XII, but X main cast almost definitly looked like idols. So much so that that's pretty much what we got in X-2. Edit 2: Also VIII as mentioned below.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
To my knowledge, FF has maintained this art style for nearly two decades now so complaining about seems to be useless.

I'm almost inclined to agree, if it wasn't because FFX and FFXII characters don't look like idols. It was Final Fantasy XIII that started the trend IMO.
But it is useless, as people only care about kawaii Cloud and sugoi Tifa-chan and Aeris-chan.

You sure about that? When FF moved to a more realistic art style in FF8, the female party members all looked like idols as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom