Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The combat is shit. It the rtwp seems worse than in Fallout 3/4.

Nines_Anarch

Learned
The combat sucks. It looks even worse than in FFXV... this is going to be awful. Just look at that camera perspective... Too close to the ass. Well I suppose it will be ok while playing as Tifa but I can't say the same when you are controlling Barret... unless that's your thing.

Do not be fooled by those cinematics. It's Squeenix after all.
The "full ultimate experience" will cost you a fortune and you know it.

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
Looks like most of the budget was used for cinematics instead of gameplay -- just like FFXV.
I miss the old Squaresoft...

Endemic

Arcane
Why the unnecessary theatrics when the scorpion is destroyed? Ending it on the original countdown timer would have been fine.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So much new stuff is coming out right now.

Menu Screen:

p.png

Some new details:

+ Summons actually fight alongside your entire party in battles.
+ Tifa's abilities seem to give her attacks different elemental / status altering effects.
+ Aerith has a ranged attack.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it is less TB and more FF XII combat from what I read.

The normal combat is normal attacks fill ATB -> ATB bar is used for other actions

The classic mode is that you will attack automatically (thus filling ATB) and you just input special commands (Magic/Item, maybe Limit Break)

I think it is less TB and more FF XII combat from what I read.

The normal combat is normal attacks fill ATB -> ATB bar is used for other actions

The classic mode is that you will attack automatically (thus filling ATB) and you just input special commands (Magic/Item, maybe Limit Break)

They show the Classic Mode here:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I have no idea what's going on during combat.

What's not to get?

I just see a bunch of random action gamey shit happening, a lot of visual overload, hits that don't even look like they carry impact, a boss that occasionally does something resembling a move, and then out of nowhere Ifrit comes out (I don't even think you got Ifrit at that stage, wasn't the first summon the Choco-Mog one) and adds in to the ADHD insanity unfolding before my eyes.

It's like there's a ton of shit going on but any impact that is being carried out doesn't mean anything because it's all blurring together into one big pile.

Falksi

Arcane

What's not to get?

I just see a bunch of random action gamey shit happening, a lot of visual overload, hits that don't even look like they carry impact, a boss that occasionally does something resembling a move, and then out of nowhere Ifrit comes out (I don't even think you got Ifrit at that stage, wasn't the first summon the Choco-Mog one) and adds in to the ADHD insanity unfolding before my eyes.

It's like there's a ton of shit going on but any impact that is being carried out doesn't mean anything because it's all blurring together into one big pile.

Yup. it's gone heavy on the awesome button

What's not to get?

The E3 video covers how the combat system works in English.

The summoning video adds a Summoning Meter along with the ATB, MP, and Limit Break meters. Looks like onces the summoning bar is full it cost Cloud one ATB bar to call out Ifrit. You use ATB for actions like special attacks and items, and you build meter with normals.

Characters like the soilders go flying back when you hit them, and the big ones react to your hits, so I don't know what you mean by hits not looking like they carry impact.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The whole thing doesn't really work that well because in the videos a lot of the combat just seems like a big blend of "cool shit." The only thing I really recognized was the Cross-Slash and only because it was a Limit Break with an easily identifiable animation. Oh and Ifrit rolling on in like outside interference in a pro wrestling match or something.

This game looks like something you can pick up and just mash buttons with and then hit some cool guy stuff to cause big explosions and ninja flips. In both the boss fights shown most of the fight is the boss shrugging off all these normal attacks and looking like they only do something in some scripted manner.

What's more puzzling is who as a fan of the original FFVII even wanted this to begin with? "Yeah, I liked FFVII... but you know what I really wish? If it was Devil May Cry."

Edit: The orchestral music is shit too compared to the original tracks.

Bahamut

Arcane
What's more puzzling is who as a fan of the original FFVII even wanted this to begin with? "Yeah, I liked FFVII... but you know what I really wish? If it was Devil May Cry."

FFVII Compillation/KH fags i guess. Still i havent expected anything less as square after X dont have idea how to push franchise forward, its all action corridors nowdays because making game of scale of old FF games and production values of modern games is too expensive and risky.

Sure i will check it if i have occassion, but still if i want play VII ill just play original. Some games are just product of its time and can't have faithfull remakes because market would deem it outdated.

Edit: The orchestral music is shit too compared to the original tracks.

A synth track would be dope, but nah stupid anime games must have banal orchestral tracks

sullynathan

Arcane
Full vid

I don't see how you can't follow the combat. There's a bunch of effects but it's far from the most over the top Japanese game released in the last decade.

Hyperion

Arcane
I just see a bunch of random action gamey shit happening, a lot of visual overload,
It's just a shitty autoattack system that builds your ATB bar, which has been changed to an awesome button. Barret's AA hits a lot for miniscule damage numerous times, while Cloud does his in chunks, which adds lots of unnecessary numbers to Barret's actions. Limit Breaks being reduced to generic actions that use ATB (my guess is level 1 = 1 bar, level 2 = 2 bars, etc) is by far the worst thing in the combat system. It was usually a big deal when you got one, and sometimes you'd like to save it when you could tell there was an impending boss fight. Now there's virtually no difference between using a Limit and a Spell because both just use 1 bar of ATB and that's it.

'Classic' mode just automates the Auto Attacks and Guarding for you, so you can just walk around and pause the game to use the big stuff as necessary. Just another case of 'don't fix what ain't broke' that Square's suits can't gather because the AAA giants have all been ARPGs, which means they need to follow suit because muh sales numbers. Marketing and Economics majors who don't game trying to make games at its finest.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Retarded combat system, they f*** it up so much, the old fans will hate it, and kids dont give a shit because they don't know what final fantasy is.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Retarded combat system, they f*** it up so much, the old fans will hate it, and kids dont give a shit because they don't know what final fantasy is.

This is like exactly the complete opposite reaction there's generally been to this game since E3 this year.

the reactions is to the presentation most likely, because it looks and sounds like final fantasy, but wait till they play it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Now there's virtually no difference between using a Limit and a Spell because both just use 1 bar of ATB and that's it.
Uh, you mean besides the entire limit break gauge? How is that different from the original at all?

Honestly I haven't been following this at all and just saw some gameplay on a channel that I didn't expect to cover this, and I'm pretty impressed. Having a separate system for summons instead of them just being better nukes is cool, positioning actually being relevant in fights is cool, and it's not missing anything that was in the original except the janky way ATB worked where speed was irrelevant because everyone would get a turn after a long animation. The new boss fight has locational damage as well. There's no way you can say it's inferior to the original in terms of mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom