Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

jungl

Augur
Button mashing combat system always gets annoying fast. Its similar to listening to metal and thrash music for a little a while its okay but then you get sick of it and want to turn that shit off.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Button mashing combat system always gets annoying fast. Its similar to listening to metal and thrash music for a little a while its okay but then you get sick of it and want to turn that shit off.
Metal is probably the most diverse genre of music covering every single faucet you can imagine.
Unless you believe doom and folk metal sound the same.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That combat looks like shit. Why even bother making a Final Fantasy VII remake if you are going to completely change the combat? May as well simply release a miniseries covering the whole story and sidequests...

Oh, that's right: the fanboys.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That combat looks like shit. Why even bother making a Final Fantasy VII remake if you are going to completely change the combat? May as well simply release a miniseries covering the whole story and sidequests...

Oh, that's right: the fanboys.
I mean to be fair, it is one of the better settings they've come up with. Would be nice to see it done justice.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cloud's attack damage distribution is questionable imo. He attacks in series of 5 attacks, but the first 3 attacks all do only 10-20 damage whereas the 4th does around 50 and the last does almost 100 damage. So basically it's completely pointless to attack one enemy just 1, 2 or 3 times and you will end up attacking all enemies you encounter in series of 5 attacks. This is alarming, since it will undoubtedly get repetitive over time. It would be much more interesting to have, for instance, light, medium and heavy attacks that you could chain together however you want.

The demo follows the story of the original pretty closely - even the cut scene with President Shinra appears exactly the same way as in the original. There was one major difference though - the Avalance explosion only causing minor damage to the reactor and Shinra making it worse on purpose. This is an understandable approach - to make Avalance appear more like Green Peace (relatively harmless idealistic protestors) and less like Al-Qaida (violent and brutal terrorist organization). I would have preferred a more HC terrorist Avalance, since it would have given the game some challenging themes to work with. But they're obviously aiming this to a broad audience, so it's very unlikely they'll actually take any risks with regards to potentially offending anyone.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cloud's attack damage distribution is questionable imo. He attacks in series of 5 attacks, but the first 3 attacks all do only 10-20 damage whereas the 4th does around 50 and the last does almost 100 damage. So basically it's completely pointless to attack one enemy just 1, 2 or 3 times and you will end up attacking all enemies you encounter in series of 5 attacks. This is alarming, since it will undoubtedly get repetitive over time. It would be much more interesting to have, for instance, light, medium and heavy attacks that you could chain together however you want.

Isn't "normal" attack in the game supposed to be gauge builder for special moves or something instead of main source of your DPS.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The combat in the newest demo video looks a lot like Crisis Core. Not what I wanted, but better than FFXV at least. I saw a post on another forum where someone had linked to a twitter post where it was stated that there will still be a classic turn based mode so thankfully the action combat can be ignored.

Aside from that, wow Jessie got cute in the remake. I had a bit of a crush on her as a kid. She was way better than Aerith or Tifa. It will suck to see her die in HD.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fuk Tifa
Fuk Aeris
Fuk Jessie
Edit: Fuk Elena
Scarlett was the hottest

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The demo follows the story of the original pretty closely - even the cut scene with President Shinra appears exactly the same way as in the original.
Not really. The president appears for the first time much later in the original, so it seems like everything's going according to plan for Avalanche.

Even overall I don't agree that the first mission is spiritually close to the original. The original is much more abrupt and enigmatic as there's not much dialogue; everyone's just in a hurry to do the job rather than to come up with some cool stuff to say. Also, half of the atmosphere of the original comes from the Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack - in the remake the music has this orchestral background filler feel to it. I'm surprised as the new version of the fight theme posted online sounds very cool:

Deflowerer

Arcane
So much cringey fanservice with these added scenes and details, not to mention fucks up the pacing.

Viata

Arcane
As someone commented in the leaked video above:
Avalanche is outright talking to Cloud as they sneak past the guards, and none of the goons even notice. Pretty considerate of Shinra to employ the deaf and the peripherally blind, but I don't think this is the proper venue.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also, half of the atmosphere of the original comes from the Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack - in the remake the music has this orchestral background filler feel to it. I'm surprised as the new version of the fight theme posted online sounds very cool:

Orchestration simply adds too many bells and whistles to make everything sound grander whether that was Uematsu's intention in the first place or not. Can you imagine listening to the orchestrated track for hours and hours, like you most likely will, compared to the original and not get tired of it in the process? New version is something you'd almost reserve for a boss fight, especially with its opening. There is a case to be made for MIDI simplicity if you're expected to keep hearing the same song repeatedly if you ask me.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
In the original the location themes change often enough so you don't get tired of them. Of course it's impossible not to get bored of the battle music; I don't understand why Square requested such huge soundtracks for every FF game but never bothered to request at least two additional fight themes from Uematsu.

Terra

Cipher
Yeah, if you're going to make a 60+ hour game where you'll be fighting a lot, change up the battle theme a couple of times as the player progresses through the game. The FF7 battle theme is burned into my mind at this point due to misspent youth, changing the music after progressing far enough through the game like in the Tales series for example, helps keep things fresh. Not only that but there were even boss battles where they seemingly forgot to set a flag for the boss music to play and you end up fighting the Turks with normal battle music playing; it's like salt in a wound.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
They could have changed up the battle theme at the end of every disc.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
eB5WkKP.png

:negative:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also, half of the atmosphere of the original comes from the Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack - in the remake the music has this orchestral background filler feel to it. I'm surprised as the new version of the fight theme posted online sounds very cool:

Orchestration simply adds too many bells and whistles to make everything sound grander whether that was Uematsu's intention in the first place or not. Can you imagine listening to the orchestrated track for hours and hours, like you most likely will, compared to the original and not get tired of it in the process? New version is something you'd almost reserve for a boss fight, especially with its opening. There is a case to be made for MIDI simplicity if you're expected to keep hearing the same song repeatedly if you ask me.

This isn't to say that the new orchestral version by Uematsu isn't top-grade, it's just that the MIDI soundtrack he made originally is arguably the best MIDI soundtrack there is, and one of the all-time best soundtracks even to this day. And a big part of that is how punchy it feels due to having no bells and whistles.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I can't imagine a heavily orchestral version of Anxious Heart being anywhere near as good as the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom