Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'll be shocked if FF7 retains the old combat system.

Man, I did not even know what the hell the Honeybee Inn was when I played it as a kid.

And in one of the locked rooms that you can peek at from the keyhole, Shinra's president is conducting a roleplay session for his royalty fetish and demands everyone to dress as servants and knights to hear his speech. Then a little later you get to see Tifa and Aeris threatening to crush and cut off the pimp's balls. There's a tinge of disappointment when you are finally dropped into the sewer for a boss fight.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck keeping the combat the same. They should beef it up. 4 man party with front and back formation/range, bigger encounter groups, make support more necessary, etc.

I agree, they should change the combat - although using limit breaks was satisfying, FFVII combat was very simple and repetitive. Actually FFVII had back row and front row in combat - people in back row dealt and received ½ melee damage and that's it. They should definitely stick to material junction system, just revamp it a bit, make it more versatile.

Lemming42

Arcane
Really doesn't strike me as the kind of game that needs remaking, no matter how much people were clamoring for it. The shit translation, FMV backgrounds, low poly character models and surprisingly effective PS1 MIDI music are a huge part of the game's charm and I think charm mixed with nostalgia is about 90% of the reason people still remember it. There's also the obvious issue of the combat system - if they change it at all, people will be furious that they're not being "respectful" or whatever but if they don't change it then there's literally no point in the remake, other than changing it to less appealing HD graphics and adding cruddy voiceovers.

They're also pretty much guaranteed to try and tie it in to all the stupid bullshit that came after the game itself, like all the Zack crap and the terrible Advent Children movie.

A user named cat

People have been screaming for a remake since PS2, finally they pull the trigger after years of samurai stubbornness?

Square has made their poor fans wait it out longer than Cleve with Grimoire, while spitting out sequels and spinoffs that are about equal in quality to donut mobile games. It has taken all the way to PS4 for a golden baby to fly.

m_s0

Arcane
It could still crash like a beautiful silvery zeppelin, depending on how they try to "enhance" the game other than graphics. We'll see.
Making FF7 worse than it already is would require some serious talent, effort and deliberation. I wouldn't worry.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Gameplay changes confirmed:

Famitsu via Gematsu said:
Speaking with Famitsu, Nomura reiterated that simply recreating the game’s graphics is not something to be excited about. Rather, “If you’re doing a full remake, it must be made with a different approach that matches the times. Because it’s now, and precisely because this is a full remake, I want to see what kind of fun is possible.”

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/final-fa...include-official-title-other-details-planning

But dress confirmed as well:

How the new, slightly darker aesthetic sits with some of the crazier elements of the original game remains to be seen, but it seems they'll be intact. Can't wait to see the delicious sight of Cloud in a dress in glorious HD? "Please look forward to it," said Nomura as the interview came to a close.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tasy-7s-remake-wont-lose-so-much-of-the-crazy

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Nomura reiterated that simply recreating the game’s graphics is not something to be excited about.

Agreed. If only you fucktards could be trusted with "updating" the gameplay, huh...

Squaresoft are dead. Let them rest and let's celebrate their works as they stand; FF7 having beautifully hand-drawn backgrounds, a masterfully composed soundtrack, adequately engaging gameplay, and a lovably retarded plot.
18n94t4piwh31gif.jpg

GRAPHIX SUX!

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Famitsu via Gematsu said:
Speaking with Famitsu, Nomura reiterated that simply recreating the game’s graphics is not something to be excited about. Rather, “If you’re doing a full remake, it must be made with a different approach that matches the times. Because it’s now, and precisely because this is a full remake, I want to see what kind of fun is possible.”

Fuck off, gook. The times are shit.

Diablo169

Arcane
Oh wow the butthurt on this is going to be delicious. Imagine if they replace materia and stat growth via sources with something like the crystarium from FF13.

Machocruz

Arcane
Butthurt competing with vapid defense of teh tymez and how turn-based and muhteria is outdated. Like I said in the E3 thread, another 20 years of shitting up the internet with FF7 fellating debates.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I...I'm not a graphics whore is my defense :hahano:

I thought they were hand drawn and then digitally enhanced. An instance of dumbfuck tag and such being deserved, finally.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pro-tip for Square Enix: when your 'fanbase' cares more about shit that you made 17 fucking years ago than the brand-spanking new games you are making, then you're doing something horribly wrong.

They really should just become a company that makes remakes of old SquareSoft games because all of their new ideas are terrible.

Reset it back to 90s glory and then move on from there.

Ermm

Erudite
Square Enix may have moved slightly into the right track. Say what you want about FFXV, I think they had invested too much money into that project, so that's why they probably retooled it.
Fuck, I hate that they had so many horrible setting in the last 11-12 years or so. It was so much fun back in the day. FFVI was Steampunk FFVII had a cyberpunk-ish/Cameron-esque setting, FFVIII had this high sci-fi Shakespearean thing going on, FF IX felt like a Disney's fairytale. I don't think that we will ever see such a stretch of interesting and varied settings ever.

FFX wasn't so bad. Sure, the setting in that game wasn't my favorite one, but it still felt distinct from the previous games. (I remember looking at the screenshots back in the day and thinking that it was supposed to be a continuation of FFVIII because Titus reminded me of Squall).
FFXV's setting so far seems the most interesting one since FFIX.

About Advent children, the stuff I hated the most about it is how it miraculously revived a couple of important characters from FFVII without batting an eye.

And anyone else feels like they ripped off the Highlander 2 vision of a cyberpunk future for FFVII back in the day?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Fuck, I hate that they had so many horrible setting in the last 11-12 years or so. It was so much fun back in the day. FFVI was Steampunk FFVII had a cyberpunk-ish/Cameron-esque setting, FFVIII had this high sci-fi Shakespearean thing going on, FF IX felt like a Disney's fairytale.
FFX wasn't so bad.

Brofist.

FFXV's setting so far seems the most interesting one since FFIX.

Doesn't look appealing in the slightest to me, looks as generic and tacky as SE's other attempts.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

The trailer seemed pretty serious in tone. Will the occasional humor the original game carry through?

TN: The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer beFFVII.

So, combat will be changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom