Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

sullynathan

Arcane
Box Art said:
48784465518_9c1dac418f_o.png

Deleted Member 16721

Materia system looks good, I'm glad they're sticking to the original design. I'm also interested in the exploration, I hope it's pretty open with side quests and immersive areas.

mogwaimon

Magister
FYI, if you guys just want to replay the old game with prettier pictures it's totally an option:

L8wGxto.png

Wait what the hell is that? Do they have the whole game done up in that style, or is it some sort of limited demo like you always see with "Mario 64 in Unreal Engine 4!" and similar videos on Youtube?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The main party members and a few other random things like Biggs and Jesse, the vehicles, some enemies (like the most common shinra soldiers + Turks), etc. Have that cell shaded version done up. The high res background is the whole game done with that new AI shit. Weapons and spell effects have been overhauled as well.

Sadly, most of the nameless shitters and people in like 2 scenes are still chunky lego people. OTOH for most of the game you only see those people from like a mile away. Most of the close up scenes are of the main cast. I'm running a gameplay mod called New Threat as well, improves a lot of things, though a couple are fairly jarring.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FYI, if you guys just want to replay the old game with prettier pictures it's totally an option:

L8wGxto.png

Wait what the hell is that? Do they have the whole game done up in that style, or is it some sort of limited demo like you always see with "Mario 64 in Unreal Engine 4!" and similar videos on Youtube?

I played through it a while back. It's pretty awesome. About 7-9 gigs of mods. I think it was under a site referring to "Bootleg Mods" they give you the links, the tutorial for installation, etc.

Remembered the link: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

Last edited:

Taurist

Scholar
OTOH doing a fairly basic remake where they just replace the shit 3D and leave all the nice backgrounds and don't change any mechanics wouldn't be such a huge undertaking and is something people have been begging for forever. I think they've always been afraid such a remake won't hold up to the nostalgia people have for it, and I think they're right. If they released such a game nowadays under a different name it'd flop hard.

Crash Bandiocoot Remake sold 10 million. I imagine a straight FF7 remake would easily have made those kind of numbers.

Damned Registrations

OTOH doing a fairly basic remake where they just replace the shit 3D and leave all the nice backgrounds and don't change any mechanics wouldn't be such a huge undertaking and is something people have been begging for forever. I think they've always been afraid such a remake won't hold up to the nostalgia people have for it, and I think they're right. If they released such a game nowadays under a different name it'd flop hard.

Crash Bandiocoot Remake sold 10 million. I imagine a straight FF7 remake would easily have made those kind of numbers.
Yeah but sales isn't the point. They need to keep interest in the franchise, not kill it off by reminding everyone how retarded it was to spend less time fighting an enemy than panning around the battlefield before and after the fight.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I feel as a game Final Fantasy 7 has aged well.

However, I also believe that most of the people who keep begging for a remake haven't actually played it, and wouldn't play it if it was exactly like the good old game.

Delterius

Arcane
However, I also believe that most of the people who keep begging for a remake haven't actually played it, and wouldn't play it if it was exactly like the good old game.
Hell, I'd add an asterisk there: 'people who STILL beg for a remake'. Remember, even as Square's reputation flagged over time, they were still known as 'the jrpg company that makes betterer graphics every time'. So people who were still dazzled at the graphics of, say, 10, 12 and 13 could, over time, say 'man these nu-games suck, they should just remake 7 with the latest graphics'.

Talk to those people nowadays and they are either into Kingdom Hearts -- and therefore their souls have been lost to time -- or they just don't give a shit anymore.

The audience is definitely newcomers.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Personally I feel as a game Final Fantasy 7 has aged well.

The game was awful when it was released and has aged terribly. The plot, characters, and dialogue are so badly conceived and written that they can only be enjoyed in a "so bad they're funny" sort of way; the characters are cardboard cut-outs; and the gameplay is inferior by every metric to its much worthier predecessors, FF6 and FF5.

It received widespread attention because it had 3D graphics (of the kind that have aged very badly, although that's not of chief importance here), was released for the absurdly popular PlayStation, and was an RPG. That's it. People were going apeshit for 3D back then, and it didn't matter how much more simplistic and shitty a game was compared with its 2D predecessors; as long as it was 3D, much could be forgiven.

Also, FF7 fags were by far the most insufferable and inescapable fan base online throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s. Even furries and Kingdom Hearts fans ended up being a vast improvement. Most famous example: http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/index2.html

I've played it, as did almost everyone else who either owned a PlayStation or who knew a kid who had one. At the time, even I probably would have been wooed by it, except that lots of kids also had PCs at my boarding school (I personally did not), so I was additionally playing Fallout et al. that year. Fallout really puts a ridiculous piece of shit like FF7 into perspective, let me tell you. I ultimately spent many more hours in my boarding-school dorm room playing FFT than I did playing any mainline FF game of the day.

Damned Registrations

To be fair, FF7 had cool systems in both materia and limit breaks, and had a decent number of secrets/easter eggs to explore for. Many of them hidden a little too well tbh. It's popularity (especially for the decade or so following it's release) is definitely due to simply being the most common thing people have played though. Most people don't realize Lufia 2 had a limit break system of it's own much earlier, or even that FF6 had a sort of proto limit break mechanic of it's own. And lots of really great games just kinda slipped through the cracks because they never got produced in any decent numbers in the west, if at all.

Tigranes

Arcane
It received widespread attention because it had 3D graphics (of the kind that have aged very badly, although that's not of chief importance here), was released for the absurdly popular PlayStation, and was an RPG.

FF7 was a system seller for the unproven new console by Sony.

Machocruz

Arcane
Can't say I'll ever invest the time to play this, but it's interesting to watch unfold. Being a legal adult when this game came out, I believe I was too old to develop any kind of emotional attachment or have it hit me on any deeper level the way it did people who were kids at the time. It was a good time, but nothing superlative, nothing that mechanically exceeded what came before, and not enough substance in terms of characterization to garner an emotional response. Blaine is right, the fanbase was... a bit much. There were probably some adults in the crowd, but generally I can only see people who were kids at the time getting so worked up over anything to do with the game. Their insistence and obstinence in the face of even the most reasonable and supported critique of the game was insufferable. I can't imagine reacting that way to someone criticizing Deus Ex, my favorite game. I see the flaws too, my nigga. I'd probably agree with many of the criticisms. That game came out when I was an adult too, but a remake of Super Metroid or Legacy of the Wizard wouldn't bring tears to my eyes either, so maybe it's just a me thing, not an age thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom