Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
everybody seems to be quite positive about the game?

anybody playing it who could give a brief run-down of the goods?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'm a MMO whore and I didn't like it, that's all you need to know. Maybe it's good if you like the inane FF writing and world design. Mechanically it's just same old standard themepark mmo.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm a MMO whore and I didn't like it, that's all you need to know. Maybe it's good if you like the inane FF writing and world design. Mechanically it's just same old standard themepark mmo.
does it have content that lasts though? cuz that's the problem with WoW. play for a week and run out of things to do.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

I guess it's pretty good, I mean as good as a modern MMO can be. Looks are top notch 10/10 best looking MMO no kiddings, but I seriously haven't played it that much because I just got bored of modern MMO's ( I played FFXI for ~5 years so take that as my standard of good MMORPG).

The original 1.0 release was a complete disaster and after that they basically created the game from a scratch, most of the added stuff was good but I ( and many other old-skoolers) didn't like the change of the combat system). I can't really give you more info because I didn't bother doing any endgame just leveled some characters but that experience was nice. I know that XIV suffered from lack of endgame content at some point, but that was like over a year ago. If you are now only starting it could be a very different case with the new expac and such.

If you are :desu: to Final Fantasy I would recommend to at least try it, that's all I'm going to say.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried it but the writing is pretty shit and the game is filled with fetch quests, everything else is really solid. So in the category of regular safe themepark MMO's it is probably the best.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it's a pretty good game – they decided to go the mainstream route and did that without compromise. So it kinda left the XI / EQ crowd behind, but I think they still managed to produce a worthwhile game. (I'm too old for endgame content and mandatory raid times though, so I can't say much about the bleeding edge.)

You should join Free Company (Guild) though to enjoy the game, pu groups and raids only work to a certain level. The problem ist that the leveling and the story can / have to be done solo, so you never have to talk to people and therefore finding a FC can be hard if you don't know anyone.

And of course:

6371c4cac5205838e4544b0f4653b1f99b1ecbf6.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I like that you can try out all character classes in one alt so you don't have to keep rerolling shit to see how it feels. It's also faster to level up a new class if you're already a high(er) level in your main one. Otherwise it's a pretty standard WoW clone, running fetch quests and shit up and down the lands of Northforestland and Southdesertia and let's not forget Swampia.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they released an expansion for 40 dollars so the monetary barrier of entry is 60 dollars and there's a subscription on top of that.

greedy japs.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it's a pretty good game – they decided to go the mainstream route
sounds like an oxymoron to me.

It's a good for what it is game. It's a WoW clone, but consequently so and with lots of polish. It's popamole done right, which in my opinion is the right approach to a theme-park MMO. Most MMOs (including ff14) are retarded, fetch quests, item treadmills, spamming instances, but if one decides to play such a game, it should be polished in the things it sets out to do.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's definitely one of the best MMOs I've played. It takes most of the good innovations that have come along the years and woven them all together into a fun MMO. It's also one of the only new MMOs that don't only revolve around combat and grinding for levels. I recently subbed back in and saw that they added the Golden Saucer and along with it the Triple Triad card game from FF8. It even has the same fukken theme. That's amazing. They also added chocobo racing but I haven't tried that yet, but I can imagine that it's just as fun.
Going back to the normal MMO stuff, it has very fun boss fights that aren't just banal tank n' spank and the music is so good. The world maps aren't the biggest, but they feel good to explore and look at because of how well crafted the whole world is. It is easy to see that this isn't some randomly generated landmass but sculpted by hand.
For those people who have been fans of Final Fantasy from the beginning, this game is surely going to tickle your fanboyism far better than anything they have recently done.
I've yet to see the Heavensward stuff because I started fresh with a new chara, but I hear the content is even better than anything they've done before.

yeye

Augur
The biggest problem I had with the game is the combat feels really slow until you get to level 25 or so. The GCD is 2.5 seconds but you get abilities that you can use during it eventually. Playing a lvl 50 job, you can expect at least two full bars of abilities and the expansion is adding 5 or so new abilities for each job.

The story is pretty hit or miss in the start but it improves after you reach 50. When you hit 50 you still have many story quests to do before you unlock the expansion. There's a LOT of shit to do at 50. Content-wise, I don't think any mmo but wow is even close. Having played pretty much every single f2p mmo available and also gw2, archeage, eve and obviously wow, it is, in my opinion, the best mmo out right now.

Zetor

Arcane
Playing a conjurer/white mage until level 45 or whatever (when you get holy) was the most tedious MMO experience I ever had, it was even more boring than leveling a holy paladin in WOW. Stone until mob dies, repeat. After you get Stone 2, use that instead of stone 1. Fluid aura if mob casts something bad. The single DOT (aero) was not worth casting in solo fights - except against very rare plot enemies - since stuff tends to die before it can tick enough times for the GCD to be worth it. Same with things like CC and kiting (stone 1), just not worth it in most cases compared to casting another Stone 2.

I was actually considering reactivating for the expansion before I heard that you have to do all the level 50 main quest stuff before unlocking heavensward (or the new classes, for that matter), including all the stuff they added during the patches. So much of the main quest is pure time-wasting fetch quest crap with cringe-worthy 'story' bits, and the rest are either trivial kill-ten-rats quests or dungeons that are overgeared by everyone at this point (so no real challenge).

But yea, this game is probably the best MMO out there currently if your main concern is content... because there are absolute shitloads of it. The dungeons were also pretty fun before people started outgearing them.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm playing a White Mage now and it really isn't as bad as you claim it to be. Mobs still die pretty fast and ever since I got my Chocobo they die even faster. I wish Raging Strikes was a cross class skill tho. That would really help with the more HP spongy boss fights when you are leveling up. Dunno about neo-WoW, but Holy Paladins used to be the best spec to level up your pala since they were kings of solo AoE grinding.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm playing a White Mage now and it really isn't as bad as you claim it to be. Mobs still die pretty fast and ever since I got my Chocobo they die even faster. I wish Raging Strikes was a cross class skill tho. That would really help with the more HP spongy boss fights when you are leveling up. Dunno about neo-WoW, but Holy Paladins used to be the best spec to level up your pala since they were kings of solo AoE grinding.
The problem isn't really killing speed, it's the tedious repetitiveness of the entire leveling experience. Tab target next enemy, spam stone 2, cast fluid aura if mob starts a telegraphed attack, repeat. No procs to watch for, nothing that makes the experience remotely exciting. This was in 2013 sept, though I don't think they changed the basic concept. Oh yeah, sometimes there are 2-3 mobs at once, in that case I may need to dot the non-primary targets and/or cast regen on myself before spamming stone 2.

Chocobos are an ok concept (every mmo has companions nowadays), but there's a lot of tedious shit involved. In 2013 the main annoyances were an inability to mount (have to dismiss chocobo first, why can't the game auto-dismiss if I mount?), inability to queue for dungeons or get dropped from queue if I summon chocobo (they probably patched this by now.. I hope), having to dismiss before story combat scenes in mini-instances (again, why not do this automatically), and having to keep a few stacks of that consumable in inventory.

Wasn't talking about neo-WOW either, I leveled in vanilla and BC as holy -- not shockadin, mind. Seal of righteousness and autoattack all day. Consecrate was ok for AOE, but my affliction warlock was a way better AOE grinder and did more damage to boot (three dots on everything, keep moving, never die, loot when they drop).

edit: ANYWAY, I do agree that ffxiv is probably one of the best MMOs you can play currently... as long as content is your priority #1, and you don't mind a really simplistic/dumb leveling experience. It's probably a lot more enjoyable if you're a Final Fantasy fan and the story / quest design doesn't make you want to stab something.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The problem isn't really killing speed, it's the tedious repetitiveness of the entire leveling experience. Tab target next enemy, spam stone 2, cast fluid aura if mob starts a telegraphed attack, repeat. No procs to watch for, nothing that makes the experience remotely exciting. This was in 2013 sept, though I don't think they changed the basic concept. Oh yeah, sometimes there are 2-3 mobs at once, in that case I may need to dot the non-primary targets and/or cast regen on myself before spamming stone 2.

Yeah, agreed. I wish the normal leveling had more challenge to it. At least it's over in 2-3 days. Well, a week now. Getting from 50 to 60 takes about as long as it takes to get from 1 to 50. Still super fast leveling compared to other MMOs. Also there are procs to watch out for, but they are Healing related on the White Mage. So not very useful when questing, which leads to the fact that the real fun is in the end game dungeons anyway and that's where you'll get to pretty fast. Most MMOs get really stale as well as you keep cycling your rotation ad nauseam. It doesn't excuse this game, but it is something most MMO players have gotten used to, I guess.

Chocobos are an ok concept (every mmo has companions nowadays), but there's a lot of tedious shit involved. In 2013 the main annoyances were an inability to mount (have to dismiss chocobo first, why can't the game auto-dismiss if I mount?), inability to queue for dungeons or get dropped from queue if I summon chocobo (they probably patched this by now.. I hope), having to dismiss before story combat scenes in mini-instances (again, why not do this automatically), and having to keep a few stacks of that consumable in inventory.

Legit annoyances that I share. Also, there's Chocobo breeding in now. I've seen Red, Black and White Chocobos. I think they are related to the Chocobo racing. Kinda cool.

Wasn't talking about neo-WOW either, I leveled in vanilla and BC as holy -- not shockadin, mind. Seal of righteousness and autoattack all day. Consecrate was ok for AOE, but my affliction warlock was a way better AOE grinder and did more damage to boot (three dots on everything, keep moving, never die, loot when they drop).

No argument from me there, but the Warlock is the best leveling class in WoW. Having been a lifelong Iksar Necromancer player and then going on to WoW to play as a Warlock, let me tell you how leveling every class feels like I'm going at a snails pace, like I'm submerged in water. But to put the Paladin in perspective, compare it to many other classes, it's a very good mob killer if you spec Holy / Prot. The Paladin is a reliable and efficient killer when you are able to kill 4-6 dudes by the time a Warrior manages to barely kill his 2nd mob. Consecration, Retribution Aura and using shields with those Shield Spikes that Blacksmiths can make. You start stacking all of those sources of damage and it all begins to add up to quite a lot.

edit: ANYWAY, I do agree that ffxiv is probably one of the best MMOs you can play currently... as long as content is your priority #1, and you don't mind a really simplistic/dumb leveling experience. It's probably a lot more enjoyable if you're a Final Fantasy fan and the story / quest design doesn't make you want to stab something.

Definitely. I don't think I'd enjoy the game half as much as I do if it wasn't for the FF flavor. Without it it's a very polished MMO and miles better than most of the tepid muck out there, but with the flavor it's one of the most enjoyable MMOs for me.

J0j0ys6.jpg

Another thing in FF14's favor are the player models and the armor. In so many MMOs you are wearing clown shoes until you hit max level and grind another few weeks to get a matching set. The above pic is me as a lvl 7 Marauder. The armor looks respectable and apt for the class and not like a hobo Ronald McDonald. You have no idea how good it feels to have armor that doesn't look like shit after 10 years of WoW where they only made new shoulder and hat models, which looked like crap most of the time anyway. And that's not even going into the laziness of the other armor pieces being texture swaps on decade old armor models.

yeye

Augur
I certainly wouldn't recommend leveling conjurer/white mage or gladiator/paladin first. I leveled my WHM second and did it exclusively by doing low level roulette and fate farming. I've since played pretty much everything except bard and all the other classes are more fun to play. It feels like WHM and PLD were meant to be played in group content where the focus isn't on their boring rotation(PLD) or stone spam(WHM).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Coincidentally, Paladin and WHM are what I am leveling now and having a blast :<>. Playing WHM is a lot more fun than my Scholar was. With the Scholar I could just turn my brain off and let auto pilot do all the healing and that took me through much of the hardest content in the game at the time. Don't need to think about MP either since you have two skills that ensure that you never go oom. WHM demands more thought since you have to manage your MP and you don't have a pet to help you. When I did Low Level Duty Roulette with my SCH I could sometimes just put /follow on the tank and let my pet do all the healing for me. Will see how the Pala will turn out since I'm not very far in with that. Out of all the three tanks that I've healed, Paladin was always my favorite. They were never so squishy like Warriors and now Dark Knights.

Stokowski

Arcane
+ Purdy.
+ Kinda charming.

+/- it's modern Final Fanasty ...
+/- ... in an old-school MMO framework.

- hideously gamist UI overlay wrecks immurshun.
- it's fine to make the design decision that casting (or performing whatever actions) should not be possible when moving; it's completely unacceptable in 2015 to have your casting/actions wasted because network latency means the server still thinks you are moving. If movement cancels actions, then actions must also cancel movement. Anything else is retardo. Ergo, FFXIV is retardo.

Ausdoerrt

Augur

It's a very polished but kinda formulaic MMORPG. Kind of interesting in terms of class-switching/cross-class mechanics, but otherwise very basic. Sub-based, too.

If you're looking for a slow, grindy, old-school MMO, then it's your best bet. If not, look elsewhere. I lasted a month and gave up.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got to Heavensward. Took me between 3 and 4 days to get to lvl 50, the old level cap, and it took me another 3-4 days just to do all the quests to finally get into the expansion. \o/. But man oh man is it amazing. Surprised to say that I gave the story a chance and stopped skipping dialogue and I'm glad that I did so. It actually picked up and became really interesting toward the end of the vanilla game and I hear that it only gets better from here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom