Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Shrimp

Arbiter
The people I know who pre-ordered the expansion and have been playing since the early access opened up Thursday or Friday last week told me they've exhausted the available content and have begun levelling secondary classes and crafting professions instead.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Any of you guys grabbed the complete edition yet? Would really like to know if the new content is worth the price. How many hours of game-play approximately would I get out of it?

Depends. Does it come with free 30 days included? Because after that it's subscription time. And keep in mind you must complete, or pay to skip, all the previous main scenario stuff before you can progress to the latest expansion material because that's how the game is structured. You can also always give the free trial a-go first before committing to purchase.

Cromwell

Arcane
Any of you guys grabbed the complete edition yet? Would really like to know if the new content is worth the price. How many hours of game-play approximately would I get out of it?

Depends. Does it come with free 30 days included? Because after that it's subscription time. And keep in mind you must complete, or pay to skip, all the previous main scenario stuff before you can progress to the latest expansion material because that's how the game is structured. You can also always give the free trial a-go first before committing to purchase.

If you start from the beginning its many many hours of gameplay. I didnt really count. To be fair the realm reborn stuff is full of filler shit and I lost count how often I got "get your ass to the waking sands" as quest (the HQ of your guys). I started again because I was asked to and just finished heavensward the second expansion which was vastly better than the first one but I cant speak to the rest.

One thing thats worth mentioning is how I got burned out of the game the first time, I wanted to play as Dark Knight but some useless jap got the idea that some jobs should start at a higher level so I had to play a warrior until 50 make a dark knioght out of him and then level that to fifty again to proceed. I stopped playing right there. They streamlined shit a bit, for example when I started I had to play the warrior subclass to 30 to change into warrior but I also needed some tank skills so I had to play another subclass to 22 or something and then switch back to warrior, which was especially annoying since story quests give the most exp but arent repeatable. They changed that.

You still have to play until 50 and then start at thirty again if ou want to be a dark knight, astrologian, samurai or monk. The two new classes dancer and gunbreaker start at 60 even but at least they are 60 and you dont have to grind back up again. I dont kn ow who thought this system was good but he deserves to be shot.

I still think if you like story heavy theme park mmos its a very good choice to play especially with friends. A lot better than WoW. The only other option that has this much emphasis on story is tsw and they killed and raped that in that order.

Based on what I've heard all the healers got the short end of the stick this expansion.

Ast got it worse because they somehow managed to break skills and he cant use them out of gcd anymore or something like that.

maidsoft

Novice
You still have to play until 50 and then start at thirty again if ou want to be a dark knight, astrologian, samurai or monk. The two new classes dancer and gunbreaker start at 60 even but at least they are 60 and you dont have to grind back up again. I dont kn ow who thought this system was good but he deserves to be shot.
I just grabbed samurai a couple weeks ago and it started at level 50.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I don't know if this was ever not the case, but I think the HW jobs start at 30 and SB jobs at 50

Cromwell

Arcane
I don't know if this was ever not the case, but I think the HW jobs start at 30 and SB jobs at 50

mh could be, maybe I remembered wrong. would make sense so every new job starts 20 levels under the new max.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
And GNB / DNC start at 60.

Also, I'm barely seeing people get to 80 as it is when we're like a week into the expansion. Anyone who's already "exhausted" the new content can't possibly be catered to, it's not everyone else's fault you don't have a job and get to sit on your fat ass all day.

Cromwell

Arcane
I really wouldnt worry about content since there is a fuckton. You have all the story content the now 2? roguelike dungeons with 100 floors each alle the sidequests raidcontent and so on. I mainly follow storyquests to get to the end eventually so in all the cities I have a ton of sidequests that lead to further content I havent unlocked (mainly harder content and raids). Its a great game but in the end its still a themepark MMO.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Anyone who's already "exhausted" the new content can't possibly be catered to, it's not everyone else's fault you don't have a job and get to sit on your fat ass all day.

This is a good point and something that always happens in content-centric MMOs. Unlike in sandbox where players make their own fun devs cannot really put out more than no-lifers can consume if they put themselves to it. Not to mention new expansion has been in early access for those who pre-ordered.

Mojobeard

Augur
rMB5bpc.png

"Thinkest thou... mine arse looketh big in this gown?"
Resubbed, enjoying ShadOw's story so far, when Stormblood's just didn't interest me. That's kind of the positives, I think the gameplay's gone down the shitter.
I realize they need to remove skills every now and then, because there's only so many buttons that are easily accessible, especially on controllers, but this time it feels like they took it too far. My main classes, Paladin and Scholar, feel way too simple to play.
Paladin has one single-target combo, no stance dancing, aggro is a non-issue, it lost half it's damage mitigation cooldowns (Bulwark, Anticipation, Convalescence). But fear not, tanks just have 20% damage resistance now, it's not like you need to even do anything about damage mitigation, or as some call it "tanking". Half your job is just gone now.
Pretty much they've only balanced tanks with endgame raiding and ex-trials in mind, never mind if everything else is unenjoyable to play. Where all that matters is tank busters and tank swapping, and because they don't want you competing for damage, tanks just don't do damage anymore.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They purged too many skills and one of the main "new" abilities they introduced to WARs is a buff spell that they removed from us in Stormblood (Bloodbath). Not sure how they expected to wow me with these changes, which is why I'm probably gonna skips this expac and quit FF14 for good. YoshiP's design got really stale and they need to shake things up to catch my attention again.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, they gutted AST's cards which was my favorite and main, which I'm not happy about. On the other hand, the game still combines GCDs, instant abilities and CDs in such a way that make healing challenging, unlike WoW. So I'm sticking with it for now (I'm still in Stormblood, tho).

Also healers are in a really good spot since everyone's playing tanks, which makes queues just insta-pop. Although I'm not happy about all the changes, this is still a good MMO to spend time on.

Cromwell

Arcane
So I reached the new expansion and slain some big bads. Stormblood really wasnt as good as HW. Mainly because you fight with the resistance and then fuck off to god knows where to do soemthing compeletly different until the two paths come together again, that was a bit frustrating. I also cant shake the feeling that they dont know what they want for their stories when it comes to tone.

One on hand you have things like the quest where you help some ratfaced goblin fuck and see what happened to his parents, or the moment when the empire decides to strike back at the resistance. It sounds faggy but there are really dark moments in this game especially in the new expansion but they cant seem to keep the tone consistent which irks me. Tanking degraded to two button spam for everything that isnt a boss or endgame (pretty sure it would also work on normal bosses) so the only thing that makes me not playing dps is the almost instant queues (which werent a given when the expac started and everyone and his fucking dog levelled a gunbreaker).

Stokowski

Arcane
I disliked the Stormblood MQ because almost all the NPCs involved were teeth-grindingly annoying.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I ended to try this game I was skeptical and I had not big expectations. I was wrong the game is actually great probably the best MMO on the market right now.

Aside from the well-written story that gets even immensely better from Heavensward onward the gameplay is a lot of fun and there is so much to do aside from the usual: Quest lvl up go dungeons do raids rinse and repeat.
I totally loved the game that sucked me in and now i am a fan. My main is dancer.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I ended to try this game I was skeptical and I had not big expectations. I was wrong the game is actually great probably the best MMO on the market right now.

Aside from the well-written story that gets even immensely better from Heavensward onward the gameplay is a lot of fun and there is so much to do aside from the usual: Quest lvl up go dungeons do raids rinse and repeat.
I totally loved the game that sucked me in and now i am a fan. My main is dancer.

lol @ the my main is a dancer. It made the entire post feel like satire. I would imagine you are one of those bunny furry people too. Well, whatever floats your boat I suppose. It is a pretty fun game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

lol @ the my main is a dancer. It made the entire post feel like satire. I would imagine you are one of those bunny furry people too. Well, whatever floats your boat I suppose. It is a pretty fun game.
Is a fun class to play i am raising also gladiator and sage. Viera are not furries. Imagine having class preferences. Anyways.
Is indeed fun. I had not so much fun in a mmo in ages.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Is a fun class to play i am raising also gladiator and sage. Viera are not furries. Imagine having class preferences. Anyways.

Which expansion has been your favorite so far?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Which expansion has been your favorite so far?
Top i liked:
Heavensward
Shadowbringer
Endwalker
Stormblood was good but way too long.

Strong disagree. FF14 is a decent JRPG (albeit hamstrung by being an MMO), but the actual MMO side of FF14 is extremely lacking. Once you've beaten the story and reach endgame, there is very little to do.

• You can raid, but the latest raid tier is only four bosses. To FF14's credit, though, you can run old raids while synced, but years of powercreep and job rebalancing will still have damaged the difficulty of older raids.
  • You can do PvP, but the 72 man Frontline isn't competitive. The MOBA mode, Rival Wings, is dead and people only do it via organized discords on Saturdays. The 5v5 Crystalline Conflict is okay but inferior to playing 5v5 in GW2, and there isn't much in the way of meaningful rewards. CC isn't fun enough to do over and over for its own merits.
  • You can supposedly indulge in player housing, but it is practically impossible unless you already acquired a house prior to mid 2019 when FF14 blew up in popularity.
  • Otherwise, you're looking into an abyss of grinding. Grinding up jobs for hundreds of hours to level 90 for... what? So you can see their okay stories? Not worth it. Being habituated into doing daily chores for beast tribes? Their stories are crap and maybe only a few of the rewards will appeal to you. Spending hundreds of hours on the two Timeless Isle-esque grind zones, Eureka and Bozja? Again once you've gotten the rewards you want there is no reason to keep doing it. Relic weapon grinds?
  • You could try leveling up your crafters, but that takes millions of gil, and for what? To make money and housing items for a house you cannot acquire? There are players who have hundreds of millions of gil but they have nothing to spend it on.
So that just leaves hanging out at host clubs or internet brothels and playing FF14 as if it was Second Life.

I do like logging into dabble in Gold Saucer minigames now and then. Wish that they would add more. Also, more jumping puzzles and race tracks too.

As a game that is supposedly an MMO, FF14 is very antisocial. 75% of your playtime has to be done by yourself. Running to the next NPC to read their dialogue or watch a cutscene isn't a cooperative experience. Doing a solo duty isn't a cooperative experience. Before endgame, the only time you get to play with other people is when you do a 15 minute easy mode dungeon that requires no coordination. People greet each other at the beginning and that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom