Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finaly figured out why Witcher games are shit

Aemar

Arcane
Because you start as a Witcher, a defined role in a game that is supposed to be a RPG, and the most known of them all on top of that.
It took you a decade after a game's release to realise that you are playing as a pre-defined individual?
Do you think he'll ask for refund since he can't choose class?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because you start as a Witcher, a defined role in a game that is supposed to be a RPG, and the most known of them all on top of that.
It took you a decade after a game's release to realise that you are playing as a pre-defined individual?
Do you think he'll ask for refund since he can't choose class?
Retardation has never been a deterrent to any attempt ever.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Makabb Effect

lyvb1yarx08x.png

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"It's like you would be starting Baldur's Gate with 1 role to choose and already from the start with all powers of Bhaal, and not some poor schmuck from library that goes killing rats."

You do already start the game as the Bhaal Spawn though. There is no way to be anything else and you will eventually gain all those Bhaal powers no matter what course you take. There is no cRPG where you are free to create your own totally unique character and story, you're always playing a pre-defined character going through a pre-determined story decided on by the designers of the game. It's what makes PNP RPGs and cRPGs distinctly different.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Silver for monsters, steel for humans, bananas for tigers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

It's like you would be starting Baldur's Gate with 1 role to choose and already from the start with all powers of Bhaal, and not some poor schmuck from library that goes killing rats.

Even Bioware and Bethesda does not limit you in this aspect, and usualy you can create your character as you want.

bethestard.png

The-Witcher-2017-12-06-23-31-03-119.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Planescape Torment is shit. Infinitron is best game ever.
:happytrollboy:
Motherfucker! I want a refund! That Infinitron shit is the worst game I've ever played. I want that 2 seconds of my life back!

:timetoburn:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
you have no comprehension of good story.
Neither do you if you think the shitty video game stories you enjoy are in any way good. OP is right, Witcher games are fine in many ways but the combat and character building is garbage. Put a good magic class or a party in any of the Witcher games and they would be awesome. I knew this years ago, but of course codex is 'figuring this out' in Oct 8, 2018.

Codex Year of the Donut
you have no comprehension of good story.
Neither do you if you think the shitty video game stories you enjoy are in any way good. OP is right, Witcher games are fine in many ways but the combat and character building is garbage. Put a good magic class or a party in any of the Witcher games and they would be awesome. I knew this years ago, but of course codex is 'figuring this out' in Oct 8, 2018.
tbh I think they planned to have companions in witcher 3
the AI for them is there, as are various UI elements. Someone even made a mod for it: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3287

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

It's like you would be starting Baldur's Gate with 1 role to choose and already from the start with all powers of Bhaal, and not some poor schmuck from library that goes killing rats.

Even Bioware and Bethesda does not limit you in this aspect, and usualy you can create your character as you want.
CRPGs are about as much about roleplaying as modern-day democracy is about public rule. As in, it's a nice idea, but not how things really work.

In any case, Witcher 2 and 3 are pretty good games. Witcher 2 has a great gameplay-story balance, 3 veers off too much into AAA garbage but has enough goodness to rescue it from the category of ubisoftian skinnerboxes. Only played Witcher 1 for about two hours before shutting it off in disgust, the game is hideous and the controls are awful.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
CRPGs are about as much about roleplaying as modern-day democracy is about public rule. As in, it's a nice idea, but not how things really work.

In any case, Witcher 2 and 3 are pretty good games. Witcher 2 has a great gameplay-story balance, 3 veers off too much into AAA garbage but has enough goodness to rescue it from the category of ubisoftian skinnerboxes. Only played Witcher 1 for about two hours before shutting it off in disgust, the game is hideous and the controls are awful.

It's impossible to have real roleplaying in a single player video game. It will never happen. These autists will die wishing it had, but it won't. No amount of human work can make a single player game cover everything in order to provide a seamless role-playing experience that seems genuine and has responses for any choice the player makes... CRPGs are just an imitation, an approximation.

As for the witcher trilogy, you got it wrong dude. I suppose you are the stereotypical storyfag who needs to drop rpgs and begin playing telltale and other adventure games, and visual novels, and leave rpgs alone...

Witcher 2 was by far the worst of the trilogy. It is not a contest. Witcher 2 is a game you play only for the story and the graphics. The gameplay is so much shit, i would rather play Fallout 76, and i hate multiplayer games.

The original Witcher was a stellar game. I can understand if you are a 15 year old fag and can't adjust to the fucking old Aurora engine and its limitations, but Witcher aside of a great story had nice gameplay once you got used to the controls. Just use the over the soulder view and never touch the isometric one. It handles like a poor man's Mass Effect with the added need of having to press left click at the right time to get bonus damage. Even a braindead 5 year old could do it after the first couple of hours...

As for Witcher 3, yes it is AAA, AAAA even, but it is great. Every side quest has a story and is well designed. There is no radiant quest and copy-pasted work here. It is great.

The fact that you think Witcher 2, a corridor based fake Dark Souls/Batman Arkham wanabee with garbage combat, garbage character system, garbage level design, and full of glitches and bugs, was better than the other 2, makes your opinion officially irrelevant.

Storyfag!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The original Witcher was a stellar game. I can understand if you are a 15 year old fag and can't adjust to the fucking old Aurora engine and its limitations, but Witcher aside of a great story had nice gameplay once you got used to the controls. Just use the over the soulder view and never touch the isometric one.

I actually advise against using the over the shoulder view. I found the isometric view to be more comfortable, on top of prettier looking.

The-Witcher-2017-12-05-13-01-58-425.jpg

The-Witcher-2017-12-19-20-52-32-034.jpg

The-Witcher-2017-12-19-20-58-52-369.jpg

The-Witcher-2017-12-22-21-06-24-911.jpg

The-Witcher-2017-12-20-21-51-43-794.jpg

The over the shoulder view simply looks ugly all around. You see less of the environment and more of Geralt's low resolution body. When you run around, it feels like you are Usain Bolt. And during combat, I thought it was particularly useful to have a broader view of the battlefield, which plays nicely with the Witcher styles (since this isn't a Bethesda game where you can only attack what is straight in front of you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom