Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fire Emblem series

Zanzoken

Arcane
I'm looking to see if there are any Fire Emblem fans on the Codex. I've played FE7, 11, and working on 12 currently, with a little bit of dabbling in 4 and 5.

In particular I'm curious about what you guys think of the gameplay... I feel like the combat is pretty unique in the way it plays, which is a little surprising given how simple and straightforward the mechanics are.

So would you call FE popamole or is there enough strategic depth there to keep you engaged?

Mychkine

Educated
I have finished (not in the highest difficulty settings) FE 4, 6, 7, 8 and 13 and played 5, 11 and 12. I must say I really like the series as a whole.

The simplicity of the mechanics (even if some games do have some obscure bits) helps into building challenging-but-fair tactical games with a few RPG elements and visual novel overtones. I found permanent death to be a central aspect of the games, especially when playing using a "swift play" approach. This gives games when one has to use it's brain a lot and I hope the casual mode of 13 will not become the norm in If.

Some games (like 5, first chapters of 13 lunatic) even fringe on puzzle game category. 4 may cross the line between tactical turn based game and a genuine strategy game (and is definitly a high point in the series). Some games may be too easy (8 comes in mind, 13 with all the grinding allowed too), some other are quite hard (6 and of course 5).

The game stories are variation on the same themes, with a collection of character archetypes fighting an ancient conspiracy / ancient evil trying to take over the world. This canevas gains substance from the abundance of games, the theme-and-variations thing giving depth to the the series when taken as a whole. The individual scenarii, writing and character casts ranges from very engaging (imo 4 has a strong story and strong characters) to much weaker ones (8 comes into my mind and maybe the main storyline of, 13 even if I found the time travel part quite interesting, especially when considering the DLC maps).

I really love the series as a whole and I can't help myself wondering why they aren't more popular on the Codex.

Archibald

Arcane
I like the series but I'm sad about how little they have progressed. It feels like around first GBA game it froze in time and nothing meaningful has changed in the formula since then (asides of waifu nonsense that we got in latest iteration). Same for storyline, at this point I really don't care about "good kingdom gets crushed, prince runaways and eventually gets his revenge" plot structure that they have been following since forever. Funniest thing to me was that GameCube FE had slightly more interesting plot, but in sequel it was revealed that yeah, you are a prince who was shipped away as an infant and you are getting your revenge. Best plot twist ever.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Beat 6, 7, 8, 9, 12.

Played 10 and 11.

Series might be on its last legs though, I don't know. Awakening engaged me, but just barely.

We'll see how Fates fares when it releases west side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom