Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

Two days after its re-announcement, CD Projekt have decided to reveal the first gameplay details about Cyberpunk 2077. Several media outlets got to see a behind closed doors demo of the game today, and have been allowed to report their impressions. The most important takeaway is that Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person RPG, something which has caused a certain degree of consternation among Witcher fans who were expecting a similar experience. Unlike what some people may have assumed, it appears that the game is in an advanced state of development, and all the attendees came away from the demo very impressed. IGN seem to be the first site to have published a full preview. I quote:

Six years after its first reveal, I have seen a live demo of Cyberpunk 2077, and it looks like everything I was hoping it would be. A beautiful and sprawling RPG set in an alternate future that sits somewhere between Dredd, Blade Runner, and The Fifth Element.

The biggest surprise is that the gameplay is almost entirely first-person. With a helluva lot of guns to fire and damage values popping up as your bullets hit enemies, the combat plays out more like Borderlands or Deus Ex than it does The Witcher 3. There are tons of abilities to use during combat, including bullet ricocheting and a bullet time slow down that came in handy quite a bit during the 45-minute demo I saw.

The shooting looks solid as well, though it’s always hard to tell without going hands on. Shotguns, pistols, and an enemy-seeking rifle all had kick and feedback to them that I maybe wasn’t expecting from the studio behind The Witcher. It seems slower than something like Borderlands, but definitely faster than Deus Ex, and using abilities in conjunction with your guns clearly seemed important.

And while we saw a bit of stealth, and I’m sure using the Mantis arm blades and a late game wall run ability will help facilitate that, our demo was mostly guns-blazing. One cool moment was when the player took out an enemy stealthily, then jacked directly into him to get a schematic of the base they were fighting through, hacking various systems to cause havoc.

Outside of the heat of battle, however, Cyberpunk’s RPG core shines bright and clear. You take quests, talk to NPCs with branching dialogue options, and explore an open world only limited by your “Street Cred” value -- which can be increased by doing jobs, or even by putting on sweet looking clothes, like a leather jacket that had a 5% increase to Street Cred in addition to other stats.

You play as a mercenary cyberpunk named V, a bespoke character that you can customize to be male or female and deck out with tats, electronics, and all sorts of other outfits befitting the game’s name. You also assign points to six stats (most of which are from the original Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop game): Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and (my favorite) Cool.

But Cyberpunk also pulls away from other typical RPG molds. Instead of picking a class archetype, you get to customize and specialize as you see fit during the game, making your own class of sorts. You get to customize V’s backstory as well, and instead of more typical options you might expect, there are questions like picking your “Childhood Hero.”

But while your character is your own, this is clearly as much of an open-world RPG as The Witcher 3. We saw V, a woman in the demo I watched, walking around the dense and winding Night City to talk to allies, get quests from shady criminal sources, and upgrade her abilities and body parts.

At one point she went to her Ripperdoc to install an optical scanner and a hand upgrade called Subdermal Grip. The increased grip strength upped the damage of her guns, as well as brought up a previously-missing ammo counter. The eye (which you see installed in her head from its perspective and is one of the all-time creepiest and coolest pieces of equipment I’ve seen in a game) gives V the ability to zoom and scan enemies and vehicles.

That scanning is important, because there appear to be four different types of damage in Cyberpunk 2077: Physical, Thermal, EMP, and Chemical. Scanning shows you what damage the enemy uses, as well as what they are weak or strong against.

There were also equipment and chip slots, and one chip we saw towards the end of the demo gave V a robot spider about the size of a dog that would follow and fight for her. It rocked. Player choice seems incredibly important to Cyberpunk, and I feel like we only scratched the surface of its customization options

And did I mention vehicles? Because, yes, you can drive in this game. It’s not totally clear how big Night City is, but its streets were at least sprawling enough to hop in what looked like a futuristic Lambo and get in a mobile gun fight. The AI companion took the wheel as V leaned out the window and shot people out of a van in front of them. It was tense, though the map doesn’t look nearly as open or free for driving like it is in GTA 5 from what I saw.

That said, Night City seems to have a lot of depth and height to it if you’re walking around. It’s got huge sky-rises full of things to do, sodas to buy (which can be used later like most RPG food), and V used elevators to get between floors. Like I said, it comes out as a dense city with lots of side paths to explore.

And Cyberpunk has more AI civilians just bustling around on ground level than I’ve seen in most games. Walking around in first-person made the city streets feel alive with action, not like a game. It was truly remarkable.

Cyberpunk 2077’s writing and voice acting seemed superb as well from what I could tell. It was clever and well-written -- at one point a dialogue choice had V chastise her Ripperdoc for narrating what he was doing, poking fun at another game trope.

The dialogue options also seemed like they had real weight to them. At one point, a deal gone south made V end up getting hacked by her enemy, a line plugged into her that acting as a digital lie detector. The player could lie still, but when she said that she didn’t have back-up (she did) it caused them to search for her partner. All the while, the option to just grab the gun and start a fight persisted, but the player was able to talk their way through without conflict.

Those dialogue options don’t feel as stationary as The Witcher 3, either. Occasionally more casual dialogue choices would pop up while walking around with V’s NPC partner. That, coupled with the first-person camera, makes Cyberpunk 2077 seems significantly more immersive than having more structured conversations as Geralt.

CD Projekt also explicitly called Cyberpunk 2077 "a mature experience intended for mature audiences" and that players would "not only have a chance to engage with the game world but also with its people.” They happened to say that right after V carried a naked woman she had rescued for a job out of a building, and during a cutscene where we then see V waking up in the morning in nothing but her underwear. You can read between the lines for yourself, but it sounds like… let’s call it “romance” options will be in Cyberpunk too.

A handful of cutscenes were the only times Cyperpunk left first-person -- apart from driving which gives you the option to swap, though first-person has a sweet MPH UI on your windshield. It’s nice to know that you’ll be able to see your custom V during the game.

Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely not just “Cyberpunk Witcher,” it’s something a whole lot more than that. The core of what I loved about The Witcher is clearly there, but in a wild and exciting new shell that stands as something wholly its own. Questions about how free its open world feels, the quality of its stories, and if the guns are actually good to shoot when they are in our own hands persists, but having finally seen Cyberpunk 2077 in action, I’m more excited for it than ever.
IGN also put together a bullet point list of Cyberpunk 2077's notable features, and at Game Informer there's an even more detailed preview that describes the demo footage moment-by-moment. When will we get to see this footage, you ask? Two of the game's developers were interviewed on the GameSpot and IGN live E3 broadcasts today, but there was no sign of any footage there. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
So, we already know that you can modify a backstory, appearance, sex and other stuff that defines your character. That should cut all the talk from people who said that you're getting forced to playing something specific. You'll just be called by generic "V", which basicly can be a nickname like "Shepard" or "Children of Bhaal"

Paul_cz

Arcane
John Linneman from digital foundry (guy who hated TW3, so nobody can accuse him of being a fanboy) tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/with_replies
Cyberpunk 2077 is legit. I can’t even imagine this being current gen. Like holy shit. It’s like Deus Ex + Crysis + Witcher at a scale and level of detail that I’ve never seen. It’s the kind of game I’ve dreamt of for ages. That was one hell of an hour.

Probably yeah. They may well be targeting those machines. I don’t know. It’s just that it has the detail of Mankind Divided (or more) but at 1000x the scale and size. This isn’t just another open world. It feels like a real city.

Ha ha, it’s not console strangled. There’s nothing like this on PC right now. Not even close.

Unlike that Watch Dogs E3 demo, there were plenty of technical hitches and flaws. You can tell it’s a legit, in development build. It was played on a PC. Slowdown, glitches and other minor things popped up but didn’t take away from the experience.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

#Not my cyberpunk and not even the one people back in the day talked about in the cd project forum the situation is like this pretty much staple of the cyberpunk community people like Wisdom00 are pretty much upset about the situation... There is a shitstorm going on in the cd project forum at the point a dev told that they will think again about TPP.. The only people supporting first person are just shoter entuxiast and luckily after a thread that is still on flame are the minority.. Damn people still keep join the forum to tell cd project that FPP only was an idiotic decision... Because is it.

In regard of me the disappointing was real... If i wanted a shooter with cybernetics there are plenty of them around.... There was no need to bastardize cyberpunk to make another shoter.

Mustawd

#Not my cyberpunk and not even the one people back in the day talked about

Didn't the creator of Cyberpunk pnp basically say the game should be fpp with tpp cutscenes?

What is ur major complaint anyways? I suffered through 12 pages of that thread and you never mention why tpp is so important.

FPP worked in Deus Ex just fine. I suspect you just wanted to see ur custom character run around in the clothes and hairstyle you picked out for them.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yes Mustard becayse cyberpunk is also that... STYLE not fucking shoting in cyberimplants... In fact shooting usually in the game is the last resource and usually happens when you fuck up something... They bastardized it... that is what burns... Cd project were aware the fanbase wanted Third person visual for this game.. because in the end is a rpg that have ton of customization and customization in cyberpunk is integral part of the gameplay as well... what you wear influence also how other react to you...But no lets add a custom char and do a rpg based on a pen and paper in first person for fucking people that care about to see their hands on front of their face shooting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
TPP is vital for melee combat to not feel like garbage, but it doesn't matter since if I ever get around to playing this, I'll only use guns. :M

Mustawd

Cd project were aware the fanbase wanted Third person visual for this game..

Hogwash. Someone made a poll in the CDPR forums and 300 ppl responded. That is not the “fanbase”.

Anyways, they’ll probably end up shoehorning in a tpp anyhow.

TPP is vital for melee combat to not feel like garbage, but it doesn't matter since if I ever get around to playing this, I'll only use guns. :M

I do think that’s something that could be a weakness. Melee does indeed feel better in 3rd person. Of all the questions you’d think these so-called journous would have thought of that one.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes Mustard becayse cyberpunk is also that... STYLE not fucking shoting in cyberimplants... In fact shooting usually in the game is the last resource and usually happens when you fuck up something... They bastardized it... that is what burns... Cd project were aware the fanbase wanted Third person visual for this game.. because in the end is a rpg that have ton of customization and customization in cyberpunk is integral part of the gameplay as well... what you wear influence also how other react to you...But no lets add a custom char and do a rpg based on a pen and paper in first person for fucking people that care about to see their hands on front of their face shooting.

Your incoherent ranting still doesn't explain why we need third person view. I think you just want to stare at your characters bubble butt wobbling around everywhere, which I do understand, Geralt was a sexy bro.

But from a gameplay point of view First Person is a great move for a game using guns.

Shilandra

Learned
Why cant the game have both? I mean, we've had that since MGS2, maybe even earlier. There doesn't seem to be a reason to not include both. Player choice seems to be very important to them in this game so I cant really fathom why they can't let players choose their perspective. Especially if you can switch at any time.

deuxhero

Arcane
I want a third person camera, but only as something for vanity and taking screenshots instead of making the game playable in it, sorta like Morrowind had. It's a dumb idea to have character customization and dress up then just flat out not let the player see it outside of cutscenes. It's a relatively trivial addition if they have the art assets for it (the only thing they might not have is animations for player character only actions). Hell they could even make it an in-world thing by including a flying drone as a purchasable gadget (which also serves a gameplay purpose as a scout, distraction and even spy if they set up the mission objectives for it) and saying low end versions (not particularity quick or stealthy) largly get used for selfies.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is about customization first this is declared to be a game where there is toon of customization even the attire in cyberpunk have a vital role on who you are and what sort of people you are dealing with... Is the first cd project game where you can finally crate your character and boom forced in first person.. because we never had cyberpunkish title in first person before.

Mustawd

Why cant the game have both?

In the IGN interview it was alluded that some of the effects and visuals are very fpp specific. For example, there is a scene where a doctor removes an eye implant and the PC is seeing themselves via both eyes...aka from outaide and regular view (or somethig similar to that. I dont remember 100%). Presumabely, this is what CDPR means with FPP being more immersive.

Also, if that was the plan from the start, creating animations for tpp could cause them to go over budget or delay the game release. Since FPP games normally only animate the arms and weapons of the player character.

Being a public company I don’t think they want to do either unless they feel it’s worth it financially.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom