Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First DA2 Screens from Game Informer

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not really. I'm merely pointing out the ridiculous rant people are proposing in here about DA2's graphics given it's still in early alpha stage. It's too stupid even for us.

I'm giving it a chance. I might as well be one of the big BioFags here, but I like their stuff. If I made the effort to find it, I'd even try out their sonic RPG.

Silellak

Cipher
If we aren't supposed to judge the new graphical direction from early alpha shots, then they shouldn't be using early alpha shots as promotional material. It's not like these are leaked images; they're from a "professional" news source.

From the article:
The team at BioWare is also aware that many gamers weren't satisfied with the graphical quality in Origins; Dragon Age II not only looks better, but sports a new artistic direction that gives the world of Thedas a more distinct visual identity.
Sure sounds like we're supposed to see this screenshots and think "Wow, that's so much better!" not "Well, they're just from an alpha build."

There is no such thing as pre-alpha when it is a sequel to the game that was released last year and is going to be running on the exact same console hardware. DA1 took something like 5-6 years minimum development time that we know of. You are fucking retarded if you think they scrapped everything and are making DA2 in the space of a year and a half.

The OP comparison is using a prettied-up screenshot for DA while the DA2 one is probably straight ingame footage. The much brighter and more expansive environment also contributes to make the DA2 picture look worse in comparison.

Surprised anyone cares about graphics in an CRPG really. Further decline in the Codex.

Once upon a time even the Journo's knew the score: CRPG's usually use second generation graphics (or worse) but rely on what is under the hood. I understand they have gone all next gen, but what are all the excuses here? Just a bunch of graphics whores? The need for CRPG's to be at the graphical pinnacle has contributed to the hopelessness of the genre. Massively. Glad to see the silliness extends to the Codex.

Bear in mind that I am not arguing for the game in question, merely the semantics of the thread in play.

I think its more the idea that the graphics of DA:O were far superior to what they are showing off for a game's sequel. I mean there is a very large difference in quality between the two, even in character design.

Blackadder said:
Surprised anyone cares about graphics in an CRPG really. Further decline in the Codex.

Once upon a time even the Journo's knew the score: CRPG's usually use second generation graphics (or worse) but rely on what is under the hood. I understand they have gone all next gen, but what are all the excuses here? Just a bunch of graphics whores? The need for CRPG's to be at the graphical pinnacle has contributed to the hopelessness of the genre. Massively. Glad to see the silliness extends to the Codex.

Bear in mind that I am not arguing for the game in question, merely the semantics of the thread in play.

Next Gen CRPG's aren't worth playing unless you are either a graphics whore or collar-grabbing EXTREEME. There are no mitigating factors like 'good gameplay' or 'branching main quest paths' or 'expansive world'.

back to sportforredneck said:
I think its more the idea that the graphics of DA:O were far superior to what they are showing off for a game's sequel. I mean there is a very large difference in quality between the two, even in character design.

I guess I can swallow this reason. It still makes me rage inside however, whenever I see Codexians carrying on about graphics in a supposed CRPG.

The other threads that rant at the game mechanics, totally understood.

FeelTheRads said:
Surprised anyone cares about graphics in an CRPG really.

But is DA2, or DA for that matter, an RPG? ZING!

Well, they are to many here, otherwise I don't understand why a) they are being covered and b) why so many of the elite buy them.

I don't think there isn't a place for this kind of CRPG. I get angry about the fact that these....things...are the only game in town. I believe there are various subsets of the genre (or at least there used to be), so if people like the current rubbish, power to them. Graphics though? come on...

Overweight Manatee said:
Blackadder said:

Next Gen CRPG's aren't worth playing unless you are either a graphics whore or collar-grabbing EXTREEME. There are no mitigating factors like 'good gameplay' or 'branching main quest paths' or 'expansive world'.

At least you are honest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Graphics though? come on...

Meh, don't give a crap. Won't waste any opportunity to trash Bioware, though. :smug:

But more seriously, whether you care about graphics or not, it's at least amusing, if not hilarious, that a ZOMG GEN_NEXT GAEM looks like that. And it will be praised for the graphics. Just wait and see. It's already a "distinct visual identity" instead of "really fucking ugly crap".

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't care but that is clearly like world of warcraft graphics with a higher polycount and bigger textures. I genuinely assume it's just autopilot press releasing where the ones working on it give no fuck about looking good for previews and the marketing people don't know it looks worse than the first game when they hit the mass e-mail button, and the game journos can't nitpick it because it's from a big company. So it's like some Dilbert shit in action, apathy. So I guess I'm interested in it as a "death of the games industry" phenomenon.

The thing is, the first game looks SO MUCH better. Here's a cool screenshot of mine:
darkspawnchronicles.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
BioWare is all about gameplay. :smug: Seriously, releasing triple-ass title which makes WoW look like a guest from the future takes some serious balls. Or totally failed reality check.

Radisshu

Prophet
HAH, what the fuck? Why do they even release screens that look that bad?

And what's with the shitty angular armour?

piydek

Cipher
The thing that bothers me is that the player character dude looks japanese, look at his hair. And his face, even while not being overly feminine, looks very gay indeed. Also, with the sword, what bothers me more than the sawing bit of the sword is that it also looks like some fucking JRPG oversized piece of shit weapon. Not that weapons (especially staffs) in DA:O were any different. But this one looks even more so.

Don't like the fact that ogres still look like commanders of satan's army. Why satan? I get it, they're fucking evil (even though Gaydar himself said he would like to expand upon their nature and connection to normal people, making darkspawn more gray than black), but come on, come up with at least some kind of adequate design.

piydek

Cipher
Some Moron On Welfare said:
I've already explained the sword. It's a placeholder from Origins.

Look at it's broadness on the picture you posted of Sten holding it and look at the first two pictures in OP. I understand that the model could be the same, but changing model's size does make it something else. On picture with Sten it looks accaptable, but look at the particularly 2nd photo in OP. What the fuck? That looks like a design choice to me.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Meh don't care for the graphics. DA:O was pretty enough anything more is just graphix whoring.
What bothers me though is the art design, since it looks like they went away from "gritty but realistic medieval" to "I can't discribe it but it looks shite".
Especially the Oger... what is this? Salamander-Oger?

But as already said: Let's wait with the good flame until its out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom