Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

First DA2 Screens from Game Informer

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Silellak, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    Looks like shit. I don't quite know how they managed to make it look that bad... even early beta Mount & Blade looked better than those screenshots

A few choice comments from GameInformers:

Please help Codex, I don't know whether to :retarded: , to :x , or to :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  2. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Slight nod to the PC crowd? They'll never come out and say it (oh, wait) but DA2 sounds like it'll have Dumbed-Down-"Strategic"-Combat (tm) for the kids and Not-So-Dumbed-Down-"Strategic"-Combat (tm) for the growups.

That alone brings me up from a 0.02% chance of buying it to maybe a 5% chance. Just to spite consoles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    Odds are that a month before release they'll just scrap the PC only combat mechanics in favour of a "more streamlined", "user-friendly" combat model.

I think the correct response is: :M

^ Top  
  4. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Eh, I'm not really surprised. They saw that DAO was selling better than ME1 and thought: "Wow, it must be fantasy setting's fault! People love fantasy! Oh wait, what if we combine EXTREME Mass Effect gameplay AND fantasy? Biggest bestseller evah!". And then they have realized that general consoletard public loves anime as well.

Hence - belts and zippers! Now with more retarded anime-like swords.
    [​IMG]

Heh, they could take inspiration from Kentaro Miura's Berserk, it would actually have been an improvement, but nooo.

^ Top  
  5. Zeus Cipher

Zeus
    The Swordman's face looks okay. Kind of an animated, stylized look, as opposed to the "carved from flesh-colored play dough" faces on DA:O, or "randomly generated Inuit Indian Elf from the depths of your nightmares" faces of Oblivion.

It's obviously unpolished though. This is like the opposite of a developer showing impossibly high-rez photoshopped too-good-to-be-true shots in a preview.

A little off-topic, but anyone else see the article in RPS today? Alec Meer had a couple of good points:

^ Top  
  6. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    No belts, no zippers. Rugged armour yes, but it makes sense since the protagonist is basicly a hobo.

Also the word is not as big as all of you seem to believe. Do you guys even look at the screens.

And judging by the Artworks they heavily take inspiration ( = rip off) from Berserk.

Also: You made me defend a Bioware game. See what your anti-fanboy whining brought onto us?
    :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  7. Abelon Blanchetourbe Educated

Abelon Blanchetourbe
    My personal favorite :

Thank god BLOOD IN REAL TIME

^ Top  
  8. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Erm. No belts? [​IMG] And I'm sure that there are zippers there, somewhere.

On a more serious note - armor in DAO was p. retarded too, especially female armor. Nothing says "mature, gritty fantasy setting" like cleavage. But armor on this screen looks more like mage armor from DAO, only with more belts and retardation. Only the character on this screens isn't a mage, and can't rely on spells for protection and wear armor only for shits and giggles.

The word? Ok, barring bad puns - tell me where I wrote that the sword is too big? I'm pretty sure that I wrote "retarded".

Ripping off Berserk? Where? With what? With their alleged grimdark setting?

And yeah, dekrine, sure.

^ Top  
  9. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    Alec Meer is the heathen bastard who thinks that XCOM will turn out great. Just wait and watch him change his tune about DA2 as soon as he gets an exclusive preview.

^ Top  
  10. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Erm...I think the armor needs these supporting belts to hold on to the user, no? Final fantasy belts are funny because they don't have any use, not for simply being belts. Example:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  11. Zeus Cipher

Zeus
    Hah, I didn't know that. Strange that he'd point out making DA:O more like ME2 is weird, but is apparently fine with X-Com turning into Destroy All Humans?

^ Top  
  12. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Well, Dragon Age armor is funny because it doesn't have any use either. If the guy on screen is our hero, presumably Champion of Whatever, why can't he get normal armor? I mean yeah, DAO armor was bad, massive armor was meaningless without horses, latex-tight chainmail - oh, well, don't get me started. But here we have JRPG-grade mismatched pieces of questionable use. OK, if it was post-apoc setting I would understand such jury rigged "armor". But, unless I'm mistaken, Bioware isn't planing to turn Thedas into post-apocalyptic wasteland. Or are they?

As for armor, you can read about its construction, for example,this resource, or countless others. There were many types of armor in human history, but most of them tried to minimize the quantity of fasteners, or somehow cover them, because it's always a vulnerable spot.

^ Top  
  13. Gosling Liturgist

Gosling
    Retarded huge sword aside, what the fuck is wrong with his humongous belt buckle? Does it serve any practical purpose except sprouting three ugly spikes to scare away darkspawn?

Seriously DA had horrible art direction, fucking ugly in a bad way. DA2 looks even more tasteless. And I'm not speaking about graphics here.

P.S.: talking about swords BG2 probably had the ugliest bizarro-impractical sword concepts in an RPG ever.

^ Top  
  14. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    The direction looks better to me, at least the ocean waves of ever-growing humongous pauldrons have funally broken on the beach of retards and begun to recede, sword is retarded but whatcha gonna do

Don't put superfluous chainmail on your fantasy shitbird armor that shows off the PCs rad guns if it's just gonna be a stiff polygon and you aren't gonna animate it though

^ Top  
  15. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    No but Hawke is a refugee. So the cheap made armor kinda fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks kinda Berserkish.

^ Top  
  16. CrimHead Scholar

CrimHead
    ANOTHER CLASSIC GAME FRANCHISE RUINED

OH THE HUMANITY

^ Top  
  17. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Because Torment is a JRPG, naturally.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Whipporowill Erudite

Whipporowill
    Oh boy, oh boy! Looks like ass, smells like ass - it's likely ass?

^ Top  
  19. CrimHead Scholar

CrimHead
    [​IMG]

r00fles!

JAP SHIT

IMPRACTICAL

^ Top  
  20. ElectricOtter Scholar

ElectricOtter
    I think the correct response is
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. Black Arcane

Black
    With the difference that Berserk is good.

^ Top  
  22. Radisshu Prophet

Radisshu
    And it's been replaced with weird, shitty-looking polygonal crap!

^ Top  
  23. circ Arcane

circ
    Not too long ago someone, I forget who, made a topic here on aesthetics vs graphics whoring. How quickly we forget.

^ Top  
  24. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I wouldn't be entirely sure if a giant monster that may have a healing factor would be fucked by being stabbed with a normal sword.

I just justifed part of DA's design (and the devs likely only did it because it looked edgeyy23123twelve). I need a shower.

^ Top  
  25. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    As far as I can tell, "new art style" means bland environments, slightly lower polygonal counts, and strange S&M-style leather geometry pasted onto darkspawn. Hmm.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)