Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First DA2 Screens from Game Informer

ironyuri

back to sportforredneck said:
MRE LIEK DRAGON ASS 2 AMIRITE?!?!?!??!?!LAOLAOALAOlAOLOLOLOLL

I thought the decision had been made to call it Dragon Turd 2: 2Dragon 2Turd?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Alexandros said:
Alec Meer is the heathen bastard who thinks that XCOM will turn out great. Just wait and watch him change his tune about DA2 as soon as he gets an exclusive preview.

Yep. Though AFTER he had praised the new shit he wrote a post detailing possible problems with it, though still remembering to end with a positive note and even in his interview with the 2K guys he never asked them the most important question - "Why X-Com license?" Hell, everyone asked Bethesda that about Fallout and hence we got the "we are huge fans" replies.

Also, shit game gets a probably shitty sequel. News at 11.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Two Dragons, One Turd.

On an aside I'd like to mention again that those screens are most probably from alpha-stages. No idea why Bio would release them but it needs to be mentioned every two pages or so before the next moron crusader comes and says:"All of the Codex hated DA2 from the very beginning simply because of some alpha screens. You are all hypocritical graphic whores.".

Oscure Childe

Educated
It seems prudent to mark my entry into this thread at this point of fecal memesis.

To use my faculty of brevity, as Kosmonaut has exhorted to me to, 'in during turd'.

StrangeCase

Educated
No idea why Bio would release them but it needs to be mentioned every two pages or so before the next moron crusader comes and says:"All of the Codex hated DA2 from the very beginning simply because of some alpha screens. You are all hypocritical graphic whores."

They'll say it anyway. Comes with being a moron, I guess. Or a moran, as the case may be.

Radisshu

Prophet
CrimsonAngel said:
Go over and read the RAAAGE over that the Dragon age 2 forum it is GOLD!.

Didn't find a DA2 forum on the bio site.

EDIT: Nevermind

Radisshu

Prophet
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 120-1.html

Note: Edited Disappointment 1 so people will udners tand more clearly what I am coming from.

Honestly, I was ready to gouge my eyes out with a spoon waiting for info on DA2. And now, I am enraged at what Bioware has done. See, I don't have Mass Effect 2 registered because I don't have the game. I played the Demo, and was honestly not impressed.

My biggest disappointments are:

1. Your character is not a Grey Warden, hello Grey Wardens are one of the main foundations of the DA universe are they not?
HELLO?!

2. I don't get to see what happens to my character after Awakening, that was what half of my anticipation was for DA2. When I played DA:Origins I felt like I was the character and my own morality often played into my choices of my characters actions. It was like reading a good book thats sequal was scrapped.
Not a very vad point, though... well, how ridiculously powerful should your character become, really?

3. ME:2 was not a game I can get in to and if DA2 ia anything like it I'm probably not going to waste my cash on it and put more money into games like Halo Reach and CoD Black Ops.
Put this in all caps and see the BLOBERTism.

4. I honestly wanted to fight darkspawn, or do something along those lines as a race of my choice. I honestly dislike being a human, in DA:Origins my favorite stories were those of the Dwarves.
What's so fun about fighting darkspawn? But yeah, not being to choose your ORIGINZ feels a bit like dumbing down (even though their impact on the main game wasn't that great).

5. It won't be DA anymore. Honestly, I would at least like to create a character of any race and go through any origin story I wished or continue the quest of another one of my characters or their children, descendants, w/e. In my opinion DA2 is going to be a huge flop...
I guess I agree with this.

DISCUSS!!!!!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With a span of ten years, it is quite probable that you will be able to enslave nations with necromancy, though.

Playing a necromancer lord of Thedas? Why not?

circ

Arcane
treave said:
With a span of ten years, it is quite probable that you will be able to enslave nations with necromancy, though.

Playing a necromancer lord of Thedas? Why not?
Because you will have areas designed and made by BioWare and characters too.

"I zay Hawke oylde boy, mus wee really dig up zees old boynes to make ze new parte member? I mean reelly, reelly Hawke is this necessary? Zis not, is it? Reelly?"

Slides wheel to: Fuck you. Yes. (influence -1)

Meanwhile in another tomb. (yeah I was thinking we could do this wavy effect here, or maybe like a split screen and then it cuts elsewhere like in Star Wars. -David.)

"Fucking take it bitch, yeah, take my cock you rotting old whore!" (is this really epic or grim enough, guys? Not sure myself. Not sure. -David.)

"And reelly Hawke, can you not do zamzing about our elven friend? He keeps spoiling ze stocke." (influence -1)

Slides wheel to: Slash whinypartymember with boot knife across the cheek. (influence -5)

"Ouch! Ze knife! Zat 'urt! Jou bastarde!" (yeah guys? not enough blood. this is grim. and dark, ok guys? -David.)

DING DING XTREME TIME: Do you want to bash whinypartymember into the now exhumed grave? (can someone maybe code this so you hiltbutt this guy instead? Teeth falling out would be epic. And hey really guys, text? This is the 21st century here, make an epic icon instead. Something that says xtreme option. Thanks. -David.)

Cutscene. (ok guys, I'm just not happy with the size of that pauldron, it needs to be more epic you know. Unless you go with my hiltbutt suggestion. Make it bigger, thanks. -David.)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Killing whiny party member to produce a corpse to make an undead (mute) minion out of is probably the best suggestion of party interaction I have ever read on the codex. DavidCirc is a genius.
I'd also accept it as an "evil" option, in contrast to "muahahahhaha, I do evul coz I iz black super evul" and "I'll risk my hide to save the poor peasants from the ancient evil,... for a price.".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
racofer said:
Oh Lyric Suite, your brian is still damaged I see. Poor fella.

Decline is decline. The fact graphics are ultimately secondary to gameplay does not mean we should accept the stagnation of all graphical evolution just to accommodate the console market. Particularly considering gameplay is shit anyway.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Oh boy, 6 pages about graphics being shit and the sword looking animu, this is a stimulating thread, here goes for another 6 pages

random_encounter

Educated
But, unless I'm mistaken, Bioware isn't planing to turn Thedas into post-apocalyptic wasteland. Or are they?
To the degree that TSR did, say, with Dark Suns, no. But to the degree that they want to put more "grit" into their "dark fantasy", probably, which only makes the whole "pointy angles" armor thing come off as weak ornamentation pressed onto their attempted ideal. I mean, really? Pointy, edgy armor? Given their touted experience with RPGs and the vast ocean of random armor generated across the board in one title after another in the past decade to use as inspiration, that's the best that they could tantalize fans with their first screenshots?

I guess if it passes internally for their own ideas on what is popular among the dark and gritty fantasy crowd nowadays in the same way twinkling vampires do among neo-goths, then I suppose there's a niche for that.

Der_Unbekannte said:
No but Hawke is a refugee. So the cheap made armor kinda fits.
Piecemeal, okay. I can see that. But the GI cover mock-up sticks him in that angular armor that the darkspawn were wearing in the screenshot on the first page along with the laughably triangular knee guards. That doesn't look cobbled to me. That looks like he's in part of an embarrassing armor set missing only the left arm pieces.

And as everyone knows, angled armor is better at deflecting stuff.

Just ask the Russians.

t34_76c.jpg

Shannow said:
Killing whiny party member to produce a corpse to make an undead (mute) minion out of is probably the best suggestion of party interaction I have ever read on the codex. DavidCirc is a genius.
That. Not sure if making the resulting undead an occasional tasteful comic relief/mockery would be going overboard; but if the corpse ended up having heaps more character than the usual BW whiny little bitch that produced it, that would be just dandy. Alas, not while the toupee's in posession of a lead writer's body...

Project: Eternity
"Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land."

Oh, great. The hero's journey. Since every BioWare game has centered around this monomith, they are all literally the same. I cannot tell the difference between Knights Of The Old Republic and Baldur's Gate 2. I'm not just tired of a style of narrative, I am convinced that no writing within a framework that I dislike can be considered good.

"more action, a new, more responsive combat system"

There will be no strategy. This will be an action game with a cover system, and I don't like it one bit. They should have called this Dragon Effect.

The strategy in the first game wasn't even good. It was terrible. It was the easiest and worst thing I have ever played because there were dice rolls and also skills that could be abused. Now it will be worse because that quote just said that this will without a doubt be a twitch-based game.

"Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke"

A character with a predetermined last name? How dare they do the exact same thing they did in the first game?

And really, Hawke? That does not fit into a world full of dragons and blood-drenched swords and talking trees. This is what happens when things get dumbed down for consoles.

I don't want to stomp around as some brute named Hank Attitude, but that is exactly what the game is going to make me do. There will be absolutely no way to shape the character. Looks like BioWare forgot that RPG stands for "role playing game" and mistook it for "really poor generic".

"Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor."

Wait, there's just one origin? You mean to tell me that the origins mechanic in Origins was specific to Origins? This is not what my imagination tells me I was promised!

What happened to my character from the first game? The one that could have died at the climax or wandered into a certain death in the Deep Roads in the epilogue? If I can't continue playing as him/her, then the entirety of Origins will have been for nothing. They should have called this Mass Dragon. Assholes.

"Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style."

First Diablo III, then Wind Waker, now this. They should have called this Liars That Never Made A Good Game Making The Worst Game.

I bet the critics will fawn over every aspect of this mess dribbling from BioWare's butthole like they have for the last ten years for absolutely no reason (except bribes which I know every reviewer takes) while idiots buy it in droves because they literally have no taste. I wish more people could be sensible. Like me.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Lyric Suite said:
racofer said:
Oh Lyric Suite, your brian is still damaged I see. Poor fella.

Decline is decline. The fact graphics are ultimately secondary to gameplay does not mean we should accept the stagnation of all graphical evolution just to accommodate the console market. Particularly considering gameplay is shit anyway.

No, no, no! See, I told you your brain is still damaged.

You answered seriously to a Drog's post, that's what I was talking about.

Rhalle

Magister
Volourn said:
"I have to wonder about such a short development cycle though. ME2 took like 3 years IIRC."

Chances are they've been working on DA2 before DA even came out.

I doubt this. It appears to be a response to (or participates partly in) complaints made after DA1 (and ME2) had been out.

Why is it out so quickly? My guess is that DA2 will be short, the shortest game BW has ever made, as in, less than twenty hours, and perhaps as few as six. Short. Short. Short.

Even then there will be ready-before-release and day 1 DLC will needing to be purchased to round out the OC; and, on top of that, I'll betcha that DA has evolved a full-on cash shop, with all sorts of doodads available for real money from day 1-- and maybe available right from inside the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom