Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Impressions (Mild Early Spoilers)

Jed

Cipher
So after many abortive starts creating my band of intrepid adventurers, I finally sat down and sunk my teeth into the RPG goodness that is Prelude to Darkness.

I had a few frustrations at first, most notably the camera and general navigation, but after some time I've become more acustomed to finding my way around things, although at this point I still haven't left the general vicinity of Kellen. The only remaining frustration is the crashing, but I am considering myself to be involved with a final beta testing process since the Zerosum guys are doing such an amazing job listening to what we have to say and incorporating this feedback into the continuing refinement of the game, and therefore I don't really mind the crashes so much. I save often and in rotating save slots.

That said, by the time I helped reconsile Vauni and Antius, saved Mena, and discovered and defeated Jactis' murderer, I was in love with this game. I love the setting, the combat, the impact my lowly beginning party has already had on the lives of the citizens of Kellen, and I can't wait to explore the rest of the Valley.

I will definitely be registering soon, and I just wanted to say thanks to Matt and the rest of the Zero Sum team.

Jed

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
love the setting, the combat, the impact my lowly beginning party has already had on the lives of the citizens of Kellen, and I can't wait to explore the rest of the Valley.

Right on, that's exactly how I felt.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kellen's probably the town I got the most attached to in the game. Jerrock is a close second though, it's a great town as well in terms of getting to know the people.

The Citadel does some nice things, but I really didn't go around talking to the people much more than I had to talk to them. However, they have a barber shop there that can change the hair of your party, which I thought was interesting. You can even get your head shaved there! I only mention that because I thought it was a neat touch to the game.

All in all, there's a hell of a lot of great things in Prelude to Darkness. It's well worth the $25.

Jed

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:
However, they have a barber shop there that can change the hair of your party, which I thought was interesting. You can even get your head shaved there! I only mention that because I thought it was a neat touch to the game.

Ha! I know many folks find it annoying or stupid or whatever, but I always appreciate a little 'sim' in my RPGs.

All in all, there's a hell of a lot of great things in Prelude to Darkness. It's well worth the $25.

Considering the small amount of other entertainment--likely of questionable quality--one can purchase for the same amount of money, I would second that notion, Prov.

Jed

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:
Ha! I know many folks find it annoying or stupid or whatever, but I always appreciate a little 'sim' in my RPGs

Well, all my people had helmets by then, so I didn't really use it.

The Citadel has a lot of neat stuff in it, actually. There's a library where your character can read books, which may raise another character's skills if that character doesn't have that skill. There's a Flame Temple there where you can learn things. There's a combat trainer.

The Barrier has a lot of neat stuff too. There's a lot going on in that town.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
XJEDX said:
I will definitely be registering soon, and I just wanted to say thanks to Matt and the rest of the Zero Sum team.

Jed
Thanks! We love to hear it. :wink:

-mat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom