Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Party?

Jed

Cipher
Just started tonight, and I'm wondering if any of you more veteran Preluders can let me know if my party sounds viable:

Bard, River
Thau, Flame
Bodyguard, Mixed

I wanted to have a member of each race, and at least one combat capable member, though I'm more interested in non-combat options. I picked polearms as the main weapon for my bodyguard. Any opinions or other advice for getting started?

Thanks for any help,
Jed

Maced

Novice
From my point of view the music skill is pretty useless except you can earn little money in taverns. You will need some close combat party members for the beginning of the game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Agree, there is not much to do with a bard char, thau can esily handle speech, lore, and music. While the combat is not the main focus of the game, there are areas where having a fighting man is better then a bard.

My party: strong sword fighter, goddess' archer, fast dagger-throwing thau with the charge spell (one hell of a fellow).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I wouldn't really say bards are useless, even the noncombat backgrounds can become fighters. Bards also start with a 15 speech, which is pretty handy too. Bards also get three additional skills to the 20 music and 15 speech, so you can tag a weapon skill, Barter, and Literacy & Lore and have a pretty well rounded character there.

I'd also make sure you have someone with the MEDICAL skill as well, since there are areas where you have to clear out some monsters, typically Dwellers. Unless you want to make trips between that area, it's good to have some characters that can bandage you.

NATURE is also good for avoiding random encounters, which you'll probably want to do at some point.

If you want a background that does both, Herbalist starts with 15 MEDICAL and 15 NATURE. Herbalist also gets three other skill picks.

I like the Acolyte class as well, just because they start with 20 FLAME, 15 LITERACY & LORE, and 10 DAGGER. They only get one additional pick though, but with a 16 INT required, they can build up FLAME and DAGGER fairly well. Give that character a 16 or so Speed, and you're in business.

The game basically boils down to the skills, really. Go by those, and then determine what backgrounds you want.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You should deffinetly experiment with party setup, The group I'm using now is 2 Bow/dagger bodyguards and a hunter each with 19 speed. Main reason I ended up with this party setup was that enemies get to move and attack the same turn, pretty much negating the speed bonus.

Jed

Cipher
Thanks for all the advice. If I can waste a little more of your time, allow me to give a few more details of my current crew:

My bodyguard has a level of Nature, my Thaumaturgist has one of Medical, and as far as combat goes, my Bard has a level of Sword, and the Thau a level of Dagger.

I really wanted to have more of a roleplaying, rather than a necessarily combat-effective party. I plan to avoid combat as much possible, though I realize that I'll have to deal with it often enough. I really like the idea of having a Bard as my leader, what with all the Charisma and Intelligence based skills for conversations.

I guess I just wanted to know if I can survive with this party, though I understand it won't be as easy as if I had three combat characters. Are there any other must-have skills that might not be so obvious? Are there some skills that seem useful that might not be? I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks,
Jed

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not sure avoiding combat is too good an idea, there are some (I think) required fights that will bite you on the ass if you haven't been taking out bandits and hoppers to get your combat skills up.

Think you deffinetly want a character with stealth if you want to avoid cmobat tho.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:
Thanks for all the advice. If I can waste a little more of your time, allow me to give a few more details of my current crew:

My bodyguard has a level of Nature, my Thaumaturgist has one of Medical, and as far as combat goes, my Bard has a level of Sword, and the Thau a level of Dagger.

I'd go with someone that has Axe.. Or at least, build axe up later on.

I really wanted to have more of a roleplaying, rather than a necessarily combat-effective party. I plan to avoid combat as much possible, though I realize that I'll have to deal with it often enough. I really like the idea of having a Bard as my leader, what with all the Charisma and Intelligence based skills for conversations.

You'll beed both, btw. There's only a few places where Tinker is needed, but it needs to be developed throughout the game. I would have prefered more places in the game that used it. I don't recall it being manditory though.

Music and Literacy and Lore come up often, though, at least in quests.

ReKoT

Novice
A bit to the left and around the corner >
I want to know if i have made a mistakeor not :arrow:
My top 3 characters have a willpower of 5 so i could get high stats.. so far i have found it was a good choice (i dont have any ppl with gifts of the godess)
Are there many enemies that pray on willpower?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
My first party:

Guardian, Flame
Hunter, River
Scholar, Flame

Is there a list of all the possible additonal party members somewhere, with stats and skill information and all? It feels like the ones I have now (Tauna, Nylis and Hyric) might not make the 'best' party. Nylis would probably be the easiest one to dump (well, not at this stage of the game) since he doesn't have that useful skills to start with.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
I use Nylis for my medic so I can skip having a starting party member with that skill.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
ReKoT said:
about medics.. i have two people in my group with medical skills of above 20, do they both heal my party or is it only the highest one which heals?

If I remember correctly, they all pitch in. They also all get statistical raises from the process.

CP

Liturgist
ReKoT said:
about medics.. i have two people in my group with medical skills of above 20, do they both heal my party or is it only the highest one which heals?

The party memeber with the highest medical heals the party. We thought about better ways to handle this but towards the end of development it got pushed to the wayside. Any suggestions on better ways to handle this in the future?

Thanks.

CP

CP

Liturgist
ReKoT said:

The party memeber with the highest medical heals the party. We thought about better ways to handle this but towards the end of development it got pushed to the wayside. Any suggestions on better ways to handle this in the future?

Thanks.

CP

ReKoT

Novice
A bit to the left and around the corner >
doh now i have three members of my party with a high medical skill...
I thought i was so smart, having three people in my party with medical skills over 20 =(

It is probably the best that only the highest skilled doctor heals.. it doesnt matter how many doctors you have, if they are not experienced enough to know how to treat the wound then the patient will not be healed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom