Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First person is not more immersive than Third person view

S.torch

Arbiter
There has been a recent trend of some new RPGs coming out that don't or will not include third person view. A recent example of this is the Outer Worlds, and for games that are going to come there is Cyberpunk 2077, in this one the developers even removed the cutscenes in which you had the opportunity to see your character in third person.

Is beyond ironic that there are people trying to defend this saying that is more "inmersive" when a huge part of a "inmersion" in RPG is watching your character interact with the world. Otherwise it could be just another nameless drone from a generic first person shooter in which your character is nothing but a floating gun and floating hands. Games like Kingdom Come knew this, because while most of the game is in first person, you can see your character very often during conversations or cutscenes.

This also render the character creation or customization almost pointless if the game has any, since you can only see your character in the inventory, which is not even part of the game world or ocassionaly his awkward animations in a mirror.

It makes you worry when you see games from almost 10 or 15 years ago like Oblivion or Skyrim that have both views, while modern games can't even introduce simple cinematic or third-person conversations.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fpp is more immersive, you basically observe the world through the eyes of your character. Isometric view is more tactical. Tpp allows a more developped melee combat system in action rpgs.

All of those presentation methods have their merits. Not every game wants to be an immersive sim, but those that do, should choose fpp.

Farewell into the night

Tpp provides an elegant compromise. You're still near the action but can see what is around you and have an actual meele combat with dodges and evasions.

In some cases you can literally see behind a wall or corner, so that's not good.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
FPP feels so natural and immersive for me. I’ve always loved it. It just feels right in the context of a CRPG.

Limiting your sight and other interactivity can be better done, also.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Customizing your character's appearance beyond choosing one of a few sprites is pure decline anyway. It's literally just a way to get faggots to play your game.

I don't want the game that I spend 90% of the time playing in first person to arbitrarily switch to third person. KCD's conversations weren't made any better by the camera showing Henry's face.

V_K

Arcane
I like first person with grid-based movement. But in full 3D I'd prefer third person over-the-shoulder view, to have some body awareness of my char. Has nothing to do with immersiveness, just makes orientation easier.

S.torch

Arbiter
Fpp is more immersive, you basically observe the world through the eyes of your character.

How exactly do you "feel" like a character that, most of the time, you're not even watching? You don't even know how he looks when he is walking because you're only viewing a couple of floating hands. There is no sense of positioning, orientation, placement, or emotion, it doesn't even feel real because you don't feel the same weight.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fpp is more immersive, you basically observe the world through the eyes of your character.

How exactly do you "feel" like a character that, most of the time, you're not even watching? You don't even know how he looks when he is walking because you're only viewing a couple of floating hands. There is no sense of positioning, orientation, placement, or emotion, it doesn't even feel real because you don't feel the same weight.

When you're walking in real life you also don't see yourself, unless you go to a mirror. And yet somehow you get the sense of orientation, not to mention, emotion...

PrettyDeadman

Most immersive games are Bloodlines, System Shock, Prey and Grimoire.
There are no third person games which can compare, not even ELEX.

Metronome

Learned
FPP is more immersive, period.

Third-Person perspective sucks ass and doesn’t give you the feels, like at all.

The only feels I get from first person is claustrophobia.
In real life you can see what's going on in your general vicinity from slight head movements.

recent trend of some new RPGs coming out that don't or will not include third person view.

Otherwise it could be just another nameless drone from a generic first person shooter in which your character is nothing but a floating gun and floating hands.

History of first-person RPGs? How does King's Field fit in?

First person perspective is not simply a "shooter" perspective nor a recent one, but one of the oldest in crpgs and the most used in 80s and most 90s.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like how your argument for "immersion" is "watching your doll do shit." That's the opposite of immersion dude, immersion is about feeling like it's you, being there, in that world. Watching a doll do things is more about being "cinematic" or whatever. There's subjective arguments for both being more enjoyable, though as a PC mouse and keyboard guy, who loves immersion, first-person is about a thousand times better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom