Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

First Person RPG with Best Itemization?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by huntsman1899, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back and Legend of Grimrock I/II are particularly strong for dungeon-crawling real-time blobbers where all loot is hand-placed, the quantity of loot is severely limited, and many of the weapons and armor pieces are unique.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
    I have to echo Deus Ex

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Morrowind has good hand placed loot, but rather boring random loot.
    On the upside lots of item slots, on the downside rather boring item system, with most items just allowing you to cast a spell. Also Enchanting system is broken.

First game I thought of. Probably the most diverse loot before Diablo 1 or 2, and eight characters to divvy the loot.

Wiz 7, seriously? You never find any interesting random loot, which makes the incentive to combat much weaker than in for example MM2.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Itemization is not the same as "good random loot", which by the way exists too - in the chests with randomized items.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    No game has done the "find well placed and actually unique loot" thing like Morrowind. Other Bethesda games (and New Vegas) have done it with various degrees of success, but Morrowind did it pretty perfectly. A lot of Piranha Bytes games have hand-placed stuff but none of it is ever that exciting in my experience. In Morrowind when you found some crazy good sword that was totally unique because you explored it was a great feeling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Random loot is shit anyway compared to well thought out hand-made items. I'm really not a fan of big randomization.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So sad that most of the best things about the older TES games like the actual joy of discovery of a well placed unique item in some cool dungeon is long gone from let alone the TES games but modern games in general, where random “rare” “epic” loot is so rampant

I can still remember my first play through of Morrowind finding a tomb just outside the starting village and finding the Mentor Ring (+10 Int & Wis) which became one of my first goals in every single playthrough after that

Random generated worlds are all the rage now and while they are very cool for that emergent gameplay aspect I will take a well done handcrafted experience with placed loot anytime; the feeling of growth where you can go anywhere and try your luck fighting much higher leveled enemies in the hope of getting some great higher level loot or unique item is such a great experience that is almost lost nowadays

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    King's Field.

Most of the stuff you can buy in the shops can be found through exploration and if you resort to spending your hard-earned yehzah to buy a short sword, you're def doing something wrong.

Also quite a few sooper sekkrit areas with phat lewtz if you can be arsed to look around and take risks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. BANANA CONDUCT Savant

BANANA CONDUCT
    This
    And not only does Morrowind have great itemization, it has a really great inventory and UI in general.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mr. Magniloquent Learned

Mr. Magniloquent
    Betrayal a Krondor has good itemization but not in the manner the OP is looking for I think. It has several great uniques, lots excellent consumables, and even upgrades (blessings), but lacks the customization depth of others mentioned.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Vulpes Educated

Vulpes
    How about the STALKER series? The only way to improve your character's combat prowess in those games is by getting better equipment since there are no attributes, skills or perks to speak of

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Canoli Arbiter

Darth Canoli
    Might & Magic, Wizardry is what you're looking for.
    Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic 6, 7, 8, 10 for "modern" ones.
    Wizardry 6, 7 and Might & Magic 3, 4 , 5 for older good looking ones, the rest for retro gaming.

^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    There is always real old school and point him to UW2 :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HeatEXTEND Liturgist

HeatEXTEND
    Just for the record, NV has shit itemization. Comparing it to for example Daggerfall/Morrowind is laughable.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)