Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time playing Baldurs Gate... help

Ash

Arcane
Please try harder. This is boring...

Hey now, this is an underrated troll. Did give him points for his sig?

aspiring game developer & novelist

Mostly only plays games made from 2005 onwards. The thought has terrified to me to my very core for years: the next generation of game developers that have been raised entirely on modern games. Imagine that.

Fuck you sellout game devs of the industry of the past 1.5 decades in particular.

Gregz

Arcane
Thanks everyone for the support BUT NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION of whether I should savescum and reload a save. Imoen I know is important for the sequel's plot (I've played the first 30 minutes of the sequel, before playing the first one). What's the 'proper' thing to do, I want the FULL CRPG EXPERIENCE, the last thing I want to do is waste 300 hours completing the baldurs gate series just for somone to ridicule me for 'savescumming', which leads to the next quetsion, what difficulty level is the 'proper' way?
  • Always savescum, never apologize
  • Read walkthroughs and forums dedicated for doing a playthrough from BG1 into BG2 with the same character(s)
  • Play with that party and import into BG2
I would recommend building the following duo party for BG1, and importing them into BG2:
  • Cleric/Ranger multiclass
  • Kensai Mage dual class
Use whichever mods are recommended in the BG forums. Spend several hours planning on how to make this work. If all else fails, there are character editors you can download to change your party and 'repair' errors. This way you won't lose 80 hours of gameplay, but use them only as a last resort.

Good luck.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Thanks everyone for the support BUT NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION of whether I should savescum and reload a save. Imoen I know is important for the sequel's plot (I've played the first 30 minutes of the sequel, before playing the first one). What's the 'proper' thing to do, I want the FULL CRPG EXPERIENCE, the last thing I want to do is waste 300 hours completing the baldurs gate series just for somone to ridicule me for 'savescumming', which leads to the next quetsion, what difficulty level is the 'proper' way?
  • Read walkthroughs and forums dedicated for doing a playthrough from BG1 into BG2 with the same character(s)
I would recommend building the following duo party for BG1, and importing them into BG2:
  • Kensai Mage dual class
Use whichever mods are recommended in the BG forums. Spend several hours planning on how to make this work. If all else fails, there are character editors you can download to change your party and 'repair' errors. This way you won't lose 80 hours of gameplay, but use them only as a last resort.

Good luck.

That's too much hard work. Why don't you just recommend writing a novel about playing BG1 and BG2 armed only with the Wikipedia articles on those games?

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
  • Kensai Mage dual class

Good luck.
Cleric/Ranger is an absolutely bitchin' multiclass, good hit die and fighting capabilities with a combined cleric/druid spell list, very good for an MC. Kensai/Mage dual-class is going to be rough for a newbie (though Kensai/Mages and Kensai/Thieves are fucking obscene later), though it's doable (but probably not by OP). Dual-classing itself might be too much for OP to grasp, as there are certain breakpoints you need to keep in mind for dual-classing (and you really want to be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot by starting your second class in a tougher stretch of the game).

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
What's the problem with Shar-teel? The constitution? Who cares? Gonna be like 10 hp difference by the time BG1 ends compared to others. Literaly 0 problems to use her as a tank. She has one of the best strenght score AND dexterity. Also you can pick her up EARLY, so won't miss HP from autolevelling.

Also you CAN'T dual Safana to a mage like someone said here.

Falksi

Arcane
Ah, to play BG again for the first time. Good memories :)

Doesn't save-scumming reload with more enemies though? I remember it did back in t'day

Palomides

Augur
To dual class Safana, you have to use the tome of intelligence on her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom