Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Flatspace - the Interview

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Cornutopia Software; Flatspace; Mark Sheeky

An interview with Matt Sheeky about Flatspace, his 3D on a 2D plane space trader game with rogue-like elements. Here's a taste:

2.) Flatspace has some interesting features from rogue-like games, including permadeath, graveyards, random universe generation, and so forth. Can you tell us a little bit about why you've added features like this? What made you think they'd be interesting in this context?

Well, I like Nethack. Random elements always make a game better because they really add to the depth for such a small amount of development work. Once you've completed Half Life, there is no real reason to ever play it again so why don't they add random levels? Getting the computer to generate as much from seeds can lead to great depth and complexity without much outlay. The real Universe is generated algorithmically after all.

The exploration aspects of rogue clones is rarely used in games, yet those are some of their most interesting aspects. Every game is different. It keeps the game interesting even at the start, a plot driven game gets more and more interesting until you finish the game and never play it again. If a game is just as fun at the start as the end then permadeath is not a penalty.

Nice cover art, ain't it?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Wow. :shock:

There's alot to this game. Alot more than I initially thought. I am definitely looking forward to getting further in this game. I'm enjoying it immensely so far. :)

Good job, Matt. You can expect to hear from my bank account soon. ;)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
cornutopia said:
It's Mark. The artwork printed out all dark so I've suspended the CD version until I can get reprints :(

My bad. Mark. :P Well, just let us know when you get the reprints done please. :) I've got the game site bookmarked, but I can almost guarantee you I'd see it faster if you posted an update here. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom