Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Elder Scrolls Online

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Wanna take this opportunity to give a shout out to the Army of Lovers. Fantastic band. Inane thread. Peace.

Martyr

Arcane
I actually wanted to play ESO two years ago, but after downloading 50+ GB I couldn't even start the game. read the steam forums, obviously I wasn't the only one with that problem and nobody knew a solution, so I refunded it.

Codex Year of the Donut
pros:
the quests are good
the game is incredibly lore-dense
the world is fun to explore
cyrodiil pvp is fun

cons:
basically everything else
animation canceling is aids but the community would cry if it was ever removed
nu-mmorpg focus on 'rotations' and very short duration buffs is stupid
additionally, nu-mmorpg focus on every class essentially being identical except looks different. Why even have classes?
trading is really cumbersome(large part of this is due to how shit the guild traders are with constantly dropping searches due to shit programming,) but that worked in my favor because I wrote a mod to find the best deals and made lodsamone
delves should have either been instanced or much harder. They're designed to be done by a single person so having other people in there with you just ruins the experience.
I really hated the gear system. Gear doesn't have stats, only when items are combined into sets do you get any bonuses at all from gear.

If you pick it up cheap it's worth playing IMO. It's not something you'll be playing a few months down the line though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is nothing like Skyrim, and it is much better. There are more things about ESO that I dislike than things that I like though. But overall it was fun for a month.

Deleted Member 16721

It's way, way better than Skyrim. I enjoyed Skyrim but ESO makes it look absolutely archaic and simple in comparison. There are just so many good things ESO does that make it the best RPG I've played by far. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Gerrard

Arcane
If the animation canceling was removed there would be literally zero player skill involved in the combat, and already today the game is filled with shitters who think they are "good" when 90% of damage is in stats.
Also I have no idea how the devs imagined the trade system working. Did they imagine people going around the whole world checking every guild trader? This shit would be unusable without the indexing addons, it's just a single step above spamming a trade chat.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Still waiting for ES: Blades to come to PC
rating_negativeman.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The gameplay is way better than in any mainline TES game, but it's too easy. MMOs are afraid to challenge players these days and so playing them feels hollow after the initial glamour is gone.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Does ESO require a monthly fee? And does it include micro-transactions? If so, then the game should be banished to the lower depths of Hell, below The Circle of Shit

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Does ESO require a monthly fee? And does it include micro-transactions? If so, then the game should be banished to the lower depths of Hell, below The Circle of Shit
No monthly fee. It's buy to play. But there are microtransactions. All though I haven't played it in a long time. But there was microtransactions. Might not be so now. But given that it's Bethesda I doubt the microtransactions are gone

ADL

Prophet
I actually wanted to play ESO two years ago, but after downloading 50+ GB I couldn't even start the game. read the steam forums, obviously I wasn't the only one with that problem and nobody knew a solution, so I refunded it.
You did yourself a favor. No matter how many people scream "DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THE GAME ON STEAM" people continue to do so. The Steam version relies on Steamworks authentication which regularly goes down so it's just adding another unnecessary layer of things to go wrong if you want to play your game.

The gameplay is way better than in any mainline TES game, but it's too easy. MMOs are afraid to challenge players these days and so playing them feels hollow after the initial glamour is gone.
Craglorn back when it was an adventure zone was one of the greatest things ever. It was challenging and fun and actually forced people to play with others instead of treating it as a single player experience in an MMORPG. Unfortunately it was group content introduced back when the game's grouping mechanics were broken so of course people hated it and now Craglorn is just another zone that you can one shot enemies in.

If they can address the power creep problem, I'd absolutely recommend it. That being said, I'm taking a break until the Q4 zone release to see if they do.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes its cancer but if you dont anim cancel dont even bother joining a group, really its extremely important . Oh well dont even bother joining a public group for dungeons,last time i joined a pug i was doing 80% of the damage on the dps parser.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't know, my High Elf Sorcerer has died about 10 times so far. Level 14. It occasionally throws a hard one at you.

Deleted Member 16721

And this disproves his point how

If a game is too easy you don't generally die 10 times in the first sub-20 hours. It's pretty easy but it's not too easy IMO. Even a bad pull pulling an extra enemy or two can be deadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom