Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Elder Scrolls Online

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That sounds incredibly lame. Don't ruin my fun with the game. I will be 'that guy' and not weave, mmk.
I didn't weave either and never ran into any trouble. Didn't feel like it was necessary. Just felt like tedious autism, which it is.

Gerrard

Arcane
its an EXTREMELY important feature in eso.

I dont think that shit its a feature at all, its just a bug/glitch that somehow made it to the meta.

Now i wonder, what would happen if the devs fixed that exploit?
The combat would become even more mind numbingly dreadful.

This game would've been godlike if it had action combat, they needed to tell all the WoWfags to get up with the times or fuck off.
Has nothing to do with WoW, everything to do with consoles. It's why it's limited to 5 buttons and you have to swap weapons.
Was the game released on consoles at the same time as PC?
In last year(s) they had a big influx of people leaving WoW so they have even less incentive to change.

Deleted Member 16721

My current style of attack is spam skills until I'm out of stamina. If they get up close I use my magicka-based slashing attack until magicka is gone. It still takes quite a few hits for me to kill anything. Their health bar goes down like a millimeter at a time. Bow user for the record.

Deleted Member 16721

It's not decline luj1 it's fun. Against tougher enemies you have to be more strategic. Heavy attacks restore stamina for example, and timing that to spend more stamina in your abilities is fun as well. It's got good combat by all means.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My current style of attack is spam skills until I'm out of stamina. If they get up close I use my magicka-based slashing attack until magicka is gone. It still takes quite a few hits for me to kill anything. Their health bar goes down like a millimeter at a time. Bow user for the record.
Dude!
Pick magicka for DPS. Or pick stamina for DPS. Don't pick both. Damage/healing scales with its assigned attribute. Don't mix stamina/magicka (except for tank, maybe).
Pick an attribute that isn't health and stick with it. That's the first thing you learn in ESO after you fucked up your first character.

Or are you gimping yourself on purpose here? In which case, cool, have fun.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Are hybrid builds viable and if not, why ? The sheer benefit of min-maxing is just too good not to go for ?

As often with mmos, the game's ought to get repetitive real quick. But I appreciate the side activities in this game a lot. Said it already but the level-scaling pre-max level is a very good aspect. MMOs always only had two actual evels anyway : non-max and max. I've never seen a game differenciate the experience between level 32 and 48, you're just slaying pigs of different colours. This game got it right.
On another note, there's an insane discrepancy between the premise of having 3 factions at war and the reality being that these 3 factions actually really aren't.
It makes absolutely no sense. I suspect they originally wanted to go for a PvP game but had to adapt their design to their audience, a big part of which is probably much more interested in TES stuff (PvE).
As a result, these factions are completely inexistant throughout the story of the add-ons because of this weird shift.

Inb4 an update abolishes the faction and sets up some storyline to explain it.

Gerrard

Arcane
You have to give some credit to the Zenimax studio here, they managed to dumb down the Skyrim attributes even more making health almost completely irrelevant.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
How do stats work in a few words ? How can points invested in 1 out of the 3 (jesus) avaliable choices be irrelevant ?
If it's just about max-ing stamina or magicka, and if the game is actually designed around it (I mean, maybe they're not satisfied with it, I don't know), why aren't they just asking at level 10 or something "hey wanna go stamina or magicka ?" ?

Why does Bethesda hate character progression/customisaton so much ?

Gerrard

Arcane
How do stats work in a few words ? How can points invested in 1 out of the 3 (jesus) avaliable choices be irrelevant ?
If it's just about max-ing stamina or magicka, and if the game is actually designed around it (I mean, maybe they're not satisfied with it, I don't know), why aren't they just asking at level 10 or something "hey wanna go stamina or magicka ?" ?

Magicka and Stamina directly determine how powerful your abilities are (unless the description mentions something else). Health is just health, there are only a few abilities in the whole game that scale based on max health, and they are all in different classes so even any meme build potential is nearly nonexistent.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

There's more to the character customization than just the Attributes.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Was thinking of getting this in the Steam sale for $10 but the idea of playing any MMORPG where you actually have to use an exploit to co-op with others lest you be thought of as a shitstain of the world's loincloth is abhorrent to me. And the fact that it's a bug that the developers are actually afraid to patch because players will scream "WHERE'S MY EXPLOIT?!!!" makes this game a big "No, just No." But thanks anyways.

ADL

Prophet
Was thinking of getting this in the Steam sale for $10 but the idea of playing any MMORPG where you actually have to use an exploit to co-op with others lest you be thought of as a shitstain of the world's loincloth is abhorrent to me. And the fact that it's a bug that the developers are actually afraid to patch because players will scream "WHERE'S MY EXPLOIT?!!!" makes this game a big "No, just No." But thanks anyways.
Like I said earlier, when people say animation canceling they mean using an ability before the full second long animation is complete. Anyone who isn't braindead will be doing it out of habit so it's not bad.

Also
do not buy the game on Steam

Remove "weaving" and it's Guild Wars 2 with worse animations.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Why not get it on Steam?

I think someone mentioned that the Steam authentication servers for ESO are down most of the time or something

How much is ESO typically when not on Steam sales?

I got a boxed copy from Amazon for about $5 a few years ago.

Now that's my kind of sale, cousin! I never pay more than $10 for anything... okay, maybe $15, tops!... if it includes TWO games, like Arma I & II which I bought in a digital purchase once for $15, oh, and Dark Souls I & II for the same.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Would you guys say the combat mechanics in ESO has at least as much depth as the last couple of Elder Scrolls games, or worse? I could probably tolerate Oblivion/Skyrim levels of low difficulty if the setting, story, lore and other gameplay elements like decent exploration are good enough. I always enjoyed Elder Scrolls lore and I understand that ESO is very lore heavy but don't want to play a game where there's very little challenge anywhere.

ADL

Prophet
Why not get it on Steam?

How much is ESO typically when not on Steam sales?

I got a boxed copy from Amazon for about $5 a few years ago.

Don't buy on Steam it relies on Steam authentication so if Steam Community is down, you're fucked.
You can get a key for ESO or a retail box off eBay for about $5-10 for Morrowind and you can get Elsweyr+Summerset+Morrowind+base game for around $30-$40 if you shop around.

Would you guys say the combat mechanics in ESO has at least as much depth as the last couple of Elder Scrolls games, or worse? I could probably tolerate Oblivion/Skyrim levels of low difficulty if the setting, story, lore and other gameplay elements like decent exploration are good enough. I always enjoyed Elder Scrolls lore and I understand that ESO is very lore heavy but don't want to play a game where there's very little challenge anywhere.
Waaaaaaaaaaaay more depth than anything found in Skyrim/Oblivion. There's plenty of challenge at the veteran DLC dungeon/raiding level.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
When I can get Elsweyr + Summerset + Morrowwind + the base game for $15 then I'll buy it. I want it all, every single inch of that ESO real estate. First I'll take Tamriel... then the world.

Deleted Member 16721

When I can get Elsweyr + Summerset + Morrowwind + the base game for $15 then I'll buy it. I want it all, every single inch of that ESO real estate. First I'll take Tamriel... then the world.

Make sure to subscribe monthly for $15 because you get access to all DLC too, and there's a ton of areas in the DLC and cool stuff.

Well, your idea of fun is... different than mine I guess.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Combat is actually very satisfying and deep. Their health doesn't go down that slow since I morphed my sniper shot ability. I can kill most enemies quickly but boss enemies present a real challenge. They will kill you if you don't fight properly. And I do spam my sniper shot but when they get in close I also hit them with a magickal slash ability, or run away and pop shots with my bow. It's actually really fun. I'd suggest giving it a try and see for yourself. It's way better than Skyrim and close to Morrowind as the best Elder Scrolls game ever. I'm not even exaggerating.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Make sure to subscribe monthly for $15 because you get access to all DLC too, and there's a ton of areas in the DLC and cool stuff.

Well, I don't wanna go overboard with it right off the bat. Need to just try out the base game + Morrowwind first to see if I like it (which I strongly suspect I would since I like the Elder Scrolls universal). But I'm unusually wary of any type of MMORPG or multi-player game that tries to get money from you, tries to trap you with paywalls, pay-to-win and shit like that, feeding upon the addiction syndromes of countless fools & their mentally & socially sub-normal offspring so easily parted with their monies, likes rats & mice in a skinner box, or kids madly running to & fro at Chuck E. Cheeses with their shiny tokens and single slice greasy pizza stains on their faces & clothes, though this doesn't sound like that.

Deleted Member 16721

Nah, you don't have to buy anything, I haven't even been tempted. If you subscribe you get free crowns (their store currency) anyway. But I'd suggest subbing because you get access to DLC which includes Morrowind areas and much more - there's a lot. If you like Elder Scrolls you should love the game honestly, it's very good.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nah, you don't have to buy anything, I haven't even been tempted. If you subscribe you get free crowns (their store currency) anyway. But I'd suggest subbing because you get access to DLC which includes Morrowind areas and much more - there's a lot. If you like Elder Scrolls you should love the game honestly, it's very good.

My nephew, whom I greatly respected because he made something of his life after much early disorder and sorrow, told me about a golf game he was addicted to on his iPhone that he knew was unwinnable unless you bought whatever it was you needed to buy to win, and he still bought it. As he told me this, I could hear his kid shouting in the background, "Dad! I need $20 to buy that cool new weapon in the game I'm playing! You can fly around on it like an outta sight science fiction hoverboard too!" Lost. All. Respect. Right. There. I don't want to ever become that guy. But I'll check ESO out. Sounds harmless enough

Deleted Member 16721

There's nothing wrong with spending money on a game you like. But that said, ESO is harmless in that regard, you can buy cosmetics and stuff like that, and also I believe repair kits, but you can have your stuff repaired anyway for in-game gold, so it's not pay-to-win by any means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom