Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent plays KotC

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Love it, but why is it so bruuutalll?

I want to keep playing but can you please give me a campfire to rest pretty please? I'm stuck in the orc blockade trying to kill wizards and all I can do is scribe scrolls to survive. :0-13:

Martyr

Arcane
my tip is to have at least 2 different save slots so that you can always reload when you're getting trapped, there's no bonfire to be seen and there are countless enemies. this happens quite often btw.

Deleted Member 16721

my tip is to have at least 2 different save slots so that you can always reload when you're getting trapped, there's no bonfire to be seen and there are countless enemies. this happens quite often btw.

My previous save is an hour behind but I might need to load it and conserve my spells more. There's no way I will beat this orc stockade with no casts from either my wizard or cleric. :(

What is your level?

Not sure. 4? I have to check. But my wizard has 2 casts of level 3 spells (or maybe 3) as does my Cleric.

Martyr

Arcane
the best thing that happened to me was that my mage got level drained. this made it possible to exploit XP gain, which is based on your current level.
that way my mage got massive amounts of XP and when I came to a point when I could no longer keep on playing that way I removed that curse and could level up with her to 19, while my 2 fighters and 1 cleric were only 15. Dehydrate FTW ! :lol:

Deleted Member 16721

I'm wondering if I should just replay ToEE. That game was hard but at least you could usually rest somewhere when needed. KotC is kicking my arse. Just one campfire I swear that's all I neeeeed. :lol:

Martyr

Arcane
I'm wondering if I should just replay ToEE. That game was hard but at least you could usually rest somewhere when needed. KotC is kicking my arse. Just one campfire I swear that's all I neeeeed. :lol:

ToEE is the best RPG ever (together with Wiz7), so a replay is always mandatory. :D
but don't give up on KotC yet, that game is pure RPG heaven!

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, I'm really enjoying KotC. Just wondering if I can survive this orc fort. I will scribe scrolls like Magic Missile and Cure Wounds spells and hope that makes it easier.

Oh, and my main damage dealer Knight is blinded. Does that eventually go away or is it permanent until I find a cure?

Martyr

Arcane
Yeah, I'm really enjoying KotC. Just wondering if I can survive this orc fort. I will scribe scrolls like Magic Missile and Cure Wounds spells and hope that makes it easier.

Oh, and my main damage dealer Knight is blinded. Does that eventually go away or is it permanent until I find a cure?
as far as I can remember it is permanent and your cleric needs to cast a "remove blindness" spell on your knight.

Deleted Member 16721

I think I might bonk out on this and just play ToEE, specifically Keep on the Borderlands. Might as well go full Glorious Mode if I'm going to play a turn-based D&D game (already played ToEE and enjoyed it a lot.)

moredread

Novice
It gets easier later on. As a matter of fact, the amount and the positioning of campfires almost make it casual. The first blockade would get many of us to reload, but it is a valuable lesson that one should come prepared when going deep into the enemy territory.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm sure I could beat it by scribing scrolls, but I'm thinking I should just play ToEE, or at least The Keep on the Borderlands as I've never ran that module before. Is KotC really that good to stick with instead of playing ToEE?

Dorateen

Arcane
Is KotC really that good to stick with instead of playing ToEE?

Yes. I like the larger party size and customization of ToEE better, but Knights of the Chalice is superior in scope of adventure and encounter design.

I was going to mention yesterday, there is a campfire in the orc stockade, but it is pretty hidden or not easy to access immediately, if I recall. Probably have to win a tough battle to reach it.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
Is KotC really that good to stick with instead of playing ToEE?

as I've said before, imo Temple is the best RPG out there (again, together with Wizardry 7). so I'd say ToEE is the better game of the two.
but since you've already completed Temple before I would recommend to keep on playing KotC, especially since you haven't played that much of it yet. you can always play Temple on the side if you want to take a break from KotC.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure I could beat it by scribing scrolls, but I'm thinking I should just play ToEE, or at least The Keep on the Borderlands as I've never ran that module before. Is KotC really that good to stick with instead of playing ToEE?
It has a better campaign with better encounter design, better balance, better useability (if you care about that sort of thing), and actual strategic considerations and resource management, which I see you've run into already. KotC is the better game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
the best thing that happened to me was that my mage got level drained. this made it possible to exploit XP gain, which is based on your current level.
that way my mage got massive amounts of XP and when I came to a point when I could no longer keep on playing that way I removed that curse and could level up with her to 19, while my 2 fighters and 1 cleric were only 15. Dehydrate FTW ! :lol:

They're all limited to lvl 20 as far as i remember so if you cheat the system or grind too much random encounters, you hit the limit sooner, which sucks ...

Love it, but why is it so bruuutalll?

The beginning is challenging, sometimes, you can miss a campfire and it makes it worse, i wonder if there isn't a campfire upstairs in the orc fortress.

Of course, if you waste feats on scribe scrolls and useless crafting skills, you're never going to make it.
Weapons (and possibly armor) is all you need, specially if you choose exotic weapons, but that's mostly for mid to late game.

I'm not sure you're meant to go to that fortress that soon, i think i went to the spider caves first.

Deleted Member 16721

I cleared the spider caves already, orc stockade is the only place I could go. Just didn't think I'd get walled in and have to fight with no spells and minimal healing. Scribe scrolls is invaluable right now as I can scribe healing and magic missle scrolls that will save my butt in the tougher fights, so I wouldn't say it's a useless feat. I have enough gold to scribe a bunch of them and that would keep me alive until I find a campfire.

Martyr

Arcane
I'm not sure you're meant to go to that fortress that soon, i think i went to the spider caves first.

that post just made me think.
isn't the fortress the area you clear right before you move to Torbury, where you have to eliminate the three giant clans?
if yes, then you're definitely not supposed to be in the fortress at level 4, Fluent .

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I cleared the spider caves already, orc stockade is the only place I could go. Just didn't think I'd get walled in and have to fight with no spells and minimal healing. Scribe scrolls is invaluable right now as I can scribe healing and magic missle scrolls that will save my butt in the tougher fights, so I wouldn't say it's a useless feat. I have enough gold to scribe a bunch of them and that would keep me alive until I find a campfire.

Interesting, never had to do that but i might have traveled to the last city quite soon to get some better equipment, at least what i could buy.

Just checked, there is a campfire in the NW corner of the main level.
If i remember correctly, i cleared the first part (before you're trapped), left to rest and came back to clear the rest, possibility did it twice.

Fluent an there is another campfire, upstairs, just before the part where you're trapped

Deleted Member 16721

I'll give it a look when I record more episodes of it. I'm not necessarily trapped, just have to scribe a few healing scrolls to get everyone back at maximum health and then also scribe a few wizard spells, probably Magic Missile and things like that. Then I just have to kill those 5 wizards as quickly as possible, with a blinded Knight (my main damage dealer) and then I'm sure there's a campfire somewhere around. Hoping the campfire cures the blindness, too, because i don' t have a spell of Remove Blindness yet. But it's doable, I'll play more because I am enjoying it quite a bit, and Keep on the Borderlands seems like a large investment to make when I'm already playing and rolling with KotC. :)

Deleted Member 16721

It has a better campaign with better encounter design, better balance, better useability (if you care about that sort of thing), and actual strategic considerations and resource management, which I see you've run into already.

Yeah, I'm seeing that as well so far, it's very much a true pen-and-paper desktop D&D adaptation, complete with the encounter design and movement, resource management and so on. Very good on that front. I'll play more since it's also highly regarded here and everyone is talking nicely about it. Seems like it is in fact worth it to stick with the game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's been a long time but I think once you're beyond the point of no return when you can first parley with a bandit leader (which is after the dragon) you can refuse to deal with him and kill him instead which will create a campfire.

PrettyDeadman

Where is a link to Fluen'ts KOTC letsplay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom