Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

FO3 is not nearly as bad as you hystronic nerds make it out to be

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by ThatsRightImInIt, Sep 3, 2019.

1. ThatsRightImInIt Educated

ThatsRightImInIt
    Can games no longer move across genres while still retaining certain systems that make it what it is? Is Tetris 100 no longer a tetris game because they incorporated multiplayer battle royale elements?

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ThatsRightImInIt Educated

ThatsRightImInIt
    all 2000's Bethesda games had the ugliest fucking faces, that's a fact. Even in Skyirm they still looked retarded, but at least they slightly resembled human beings

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    People calling Called Shots "VATS" triggers me like hell.

3 has most of the bases for an excellent Fallout game, but it lacks vital features and has serious problems:

- Different ammo types
    - DR/DT system. DR-only system doesn't work because it leads to crap like someone in Power Armor being seriously hurt by repeated enemy attacks, when by all rights a burst of low-caliber fire should plink on your Power Armor.
    - Inferior ARPG gameplay to Deus Ex. The original Deus Ex, from 2000 something.
    - Actually good writing
    - An actually decent plot; FO3 that is so bad, even most of the new games' fans agree that it was a linear, unworkable piece of shit plot with an horrible ending.
    - A gameworld that makes sense and has verisimilitude
    - SPECIAL was seriously murdered. Its barely important and you could easily finish the game by putting 1 in every skill.
    - Actually interesting settlements that are bigger than my street.

Ironically, while the art-style is different from that of the originals - I personally find the originals more "doorhickey" and 80-90s in its 50s and in certain aspects use more raygun gothic sleekness, while the new games have more of a "blocky, brown-ladden, "what if the Fallout universe tried to make 2000s tablets" aesthetic. But then again, the guy who handled the art (sadly RIP) was good.

Its not a coincidence that when Bethesda handled the engine and assets to Obsidian AKA a studio full of people who have made and know how to make a proper Fallout game, they made... wait for it... A PROPER FALLOUT GAME!!! WTF!

Who could have predicted this?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    They even ruined the look of Vault Boy himself. The aesthetic of Bethesda's Vault Boy is considerably different than that of Interplay/Black Isle. New Vegas' is much closer to the original.

[​IMG]

Tramell Ray Isaac, Fallout.

[​IMG]

Brian Menze, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas.

[​IMG]

Natalia Smirnova, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout 76.

It makes sense New Vegas' Vault Boy resembles the originals as Menze's artstyle closely tried to mirror Isaac's, plus he also worked on Fallout 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    A combat system that lets you pause within a real-time action game to take aimed shots with a chance to hit based on character stats is not the same as a turn-based combat system.

VATS lets you pause and take an aimed shot.
    Then the dice are rolled to see if your character hits.
    When your character takes the shots, the game progresses in real time, albeit slowed down.
    It's not turn-based. Not even remotely. Nobody is taking turns. Your character can get hit by enemy shots while performing a VATS attack.
    Action points regenerate over time, in real-time, rather than the combat being split into player turns and enemy turns, with each side having their full action points during their turn.

VATS is nothing like FO1/2.

You are being retarded and have no idea how game systems work.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Okagron Prophet

Okagron
    What choices that drastically impact the game? There are none. The one you mentioned is probably the most retarded choice in the game. Guy wants to destroy a whole town of people because "it's ruining the view from his tower". And then the game goes out of its way to make that choice meaningless by making Moira turn into an instant ghoul so that you don't miss out on that crap Survival Guide questline and your dad is "disappointed" with you but then forgets about it.

When people say they want choices, they want meaningful choices. All the choices and solutions to quests in Fallout 3 are absolute meaningless, with no affect on anything whatsoever. Not to mention a lot of the solutions are overly simplistic and too easy to achieve.

Also, Fallout 3 didn't translate jack and shit from the first two games. It's like someone parading around in your favorite series's clothes, telling you that it's totally part of your favorite series. But it's not. It's a cobbled together pretender that uses recognizable iconography and some RPG systems from the series to make people think it's an actual Fallout game.

It's not "mediocre", it's not "not that bad", it's an absolute travesty. And the existence of Fallout 4 doesn't make it less bad.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I have not played Fallout 3 nor did I read OP's post, but I gave it an "Agree" rating anyway.

:edgy:

• Edgy x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • nice x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fallout 3 is just like the holocaust. We must remind ourselves daily so we don't forget.

• Funny x 7
    • Salute x 7
    • "It was Aliens" x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fallout 3, New Vegas, 4 and 76 are travesty and rape.

• Edgy Edgy x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Could you please GTFO and go die in a radiation chamber? Kthxbye.

• Prestigious x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Imagine two identical airplane control panels, where you can flip all the buttons and have pretty lights and buzzers and shit. This is the analogy for FO3/FONV user interface. One of those panels is connected to the airplane, the other isn't. On the surface they're the same. You have stats and dialogue and shit. But in FONV your experience is less railroaded, stats actually do something, and world reactivity in general is far higher.

Of course FO1/2 world reactivity absolutely surpasses everything that came after them. Those were real genuine attempts to make living RPG worlds, and a lot of care was put into subtle reactivity on different levels which created an illusion of elasticity in your surroundings.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    I actually like a lot the monocromatic visuals of fallout 3/NV.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Genre IS what makes it what it is. "no longer" my ass.

Ask me when Tetris becomes turn-based.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    They're not bad, but I do think they differ from the more metal + junk look of the originals' interface. I can't quite explain it right.

Also mechanically, the originals often have better interfaces because you don't need to scroll multiple screens to get all the information you need.

Compare the character screens. 1/2/Tactics showed you all you needed to know about your character on a single 640x480 screen and three little tabs.
    Fallout 3 makes you switch between FIVE tabs. On modern screens which are far larger. A good chunk of it is also used to show your pip-boy rather than the info you want and need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    11 page topic inc

^ Top  
  16. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    Except FO3 actually happened.

• Yes x 4
    • nice x 2
    • Slam dunk! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. underground nymph Educated

underground nymph
    Also: YOU CAN’T KILL KIDS! It completely describes what kind of fucking retards Bethesda are. Killing kids is bad you got it? Thus you’re not gonna be able. That’s simple fucking logic. And they then parry with: oh you mad piece of shit you wanna kill kids aren’t you you sick fuck? No I don’t, I just find this restrictions in game being a fourth wall breaking. When I accidentally killed a child NPC who was standing next to the hostile in F2 I got (if I remember correctly) a trait child killer which caused reputation penalty, thus I immediately loaded save game, though the encounter was tough. That’s how you make a world which actually reacts to your deeds.

^ Top  
  18. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    I actually agree with op.

You're all a bunch of nerds.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    [​IMG]

What an unfortunate design decision. This was clearly a decision taken with consoles in mind, as people tend to sit farther away from their TVs and so everything needs to be big enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. redactir Artist Formerly Known as Prosper

redactir
    FO4 is better than FO3 in many ways. FO4 was less childlike than FO3 was in its tone. But took significant steps down in its own way.
    It also got better at representing some of the art of the originals, also in its own way.

FO4 relies on a conspiracy of generic but alright gameplay. Whereas FO3 tried to be more charming even if it was often bad at it.
    FO3 has worse consistency but atleast tried to tease the player.

Both games sadly tie your background down to family-oriented bs, and worse make the MQs largely about your family too. This immediates lowers quality of the game as it has no flexiblity in subject matter.
    Instead an MQ should revolve around more than one thing, or just one thing that implies many things but which things is not to be written in stone.

RPGs done right leave many things open to the player's identity from the start to the end.
    It's about reactivity the player can have to events and reactivity by the game to the player's decisions. This is what makes a role fun or boring to play.
    In this regard replayability then is made better or worse depending on if the game is developed around such openess.

FO3 and FO4 are at heart far worse RPGs than FO1 & FO2. They are closed systems fitted only to the results bethesda-dev thought would be neat at the time.

That said the old games were also created by true MASTERS of game design,
    which makes the old games seem in practice a grade higher than they perhaps really are in theory.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    This alone proves that the people who currently are Fallout's audience are the audience only because Bethesda changed everything Fallout was about. I've heard people complain about New Vegas' choices because they weren't black and white and thus they had to choose between two shitty decisions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    ha

HAHAHAHA

Anyone who couldn't tell that FO3 VATS literally broke the game with its weird ass nonsensical bullet time letting you kill people for free with no chance of them fighting back in a real time game

You guys could probably play a game where stats are bugged and half of your items don't do anything and not notice for 10 hours

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. howlingFantods Learned

howlingFantods
    What’s the point of having a reactive world if you’re just going to load the game as soon as it reacts to you? Makes for better stories to play through shit like that

^ Top  
  24. Butter Erudite

Butter
    Don't browse the Fallout subreddit. There's a strong contingent of mouth-breathers on there who actually defend Fallout 3's story. It's emotional or some shit.

• Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    :fallout3:

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)