Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Footage from a 1998 Bard's Tale IV prototype revealed for the first time

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Electronic Arts; Interplay; Mythic Entertainment; Origin Systems; Rebecca Heineman; The Bard's Tale IV (EA)

Kenneth Kully of the Ultima Codex was recently granted permission to dig through the digital archives of EA subsidiary Mythic Entertainment. Two days ago, he informed me that he had found in it a very strange video. See for yourself:

Wow. It's...it's...pretty shitty, actually. But what the heck is this game and why is there footage of it in a Mythic archive?

We know that Mythic Entertainment are the caretakers of Ultima Online and the entire Ultima legacy at EA. As such, they have inherited materials that originally belonged to Origin before that company's final shutdown in 2004. We also know that back in 1998, Brian Fargo had not yet recovered the rights to Bard's Tale, which he eventually used to make his own modern take on the series, 2004's The Bard's Tale.

So, did Origin set out to create their own Bard's Tale sequel? Considering how busy they were in 1998 with the disaster that was Ultima IX, that doesn't seem likely. Luckily, the powers of Google supply an answer to our conundrum.

A forgotten interview from 2000 with original Bard's Tale trilogy developer "Burger" Bill Heineman at defunct fansite BardsTale.com reveals:

Scott: Well I sure hope that someday the saga will continue. If you were allowed to produce BT4, do you have any new ideas in the back of your mind on things you might do differently this time?​

Bill: We have a whole game design document and even a prototype of the engine. We pitched the idea to EA about a month ago but they were not interested.​

Scott: Oh, that is a shame!!! With your new engine, has the game been enhanced a lot, or does it still look basically the same?​

Bill: Completely new game. It has more of an Everquest look to it but all the art and sounds have a Bard's Tale feel to it.​

Scott: Do you have any story ideas for Bard's Tale 4 yet?​

Bill: As I said before, we have a whole game design document. It takes place after Bard's Tale III and begins the tale again. We hope it's the first part of a three part saga.​

Tsk, tsk, Rebecca! Of course, this still doesn't answer the question of what this video was doing in an Origin archive. Perhaps somebody at Origin was tasked by the suits at EA with examining the prototype and determining its quality. Hopefully, somebody will step up and provide the last remaining pieces of this puzzle.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That Breastplate... :lol:

Do you think it would be possible to impale enemies with it?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Wow. Was early 3D ugly.

Same year:
drakan_desktop_v3.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So take a classic blobber combat game and turn it into a shitty "action" game. Glad this never came to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least inXile's game had EXTREME SHEPARD BARD dialogue choices. Three years before Mass Effect!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wow. Was early 3D ugly.

To be fair, 't is a prototype.

Basil Poledouris! :love:
yeah I just closed it down and listened to the music instead :D

:love:One of my most-played CDs is the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. It's pure genius.

To be fair, knowing full well that game's never gonna be a Codex favorite, at least he didn't call it Bard's Tale IV, and was explicit about it not being a Bard's Tale sequel or anything much like the Bard's Tale (though you can question if that's a good decision or not).

inXile might still do the Bard's Tale IV at some point in the future, and it wouldn't be...this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom