Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For a lack of better title: "Semi-Aquatic-Combat"

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Right. Nice thread title, innit?

Since I lately discovered there are some tricks to make sprites appear as if they are standing half waist in water with our engine we use, I did some first tests to see if it really looks ok and combat plus movement could be fun in it. Turns out it can! This got me really excited and together with some people who listen to my crappy ramblings about vapourware ideas to make the game even better, I have put together some ideas.

"Water combat" - what could one expect of that? First, there is the "I am standing only thigh high in the water, nothin much can happen to m... *hhhhhnnnnnghhhhh*

(primitive draft animation incoming, it will ofcourse look better when all is done)

asdebd2c.gif

What happened in the supposed above picture is, the guy in leather jacket fights the two metal armor opponents (both Metal Armor Idiots wield a cattle prod, charged with electronical devices). Due to some insanely retarded failure, they all step into water. The Metal Armor woman fails a critical luck roll, electrocutes the water, her metal armor bro who has the same high fail chance for electro damage leans into the blow - the entire liquid area around them gets electro damage depending on his/her resistances. It's quite the fireworks for the leather armor guy, who was wise not to take such highly abusive armor for wet enviroments and took only half the damage.

Then, there is ofcourse the penalties it gives you to move through such water. It takes 3 AP to move from one hex to the other. You cannot crouch or be prone as you know it from on ground What Remains. As WR takes place in an area largely filled ponds, lakes or rivers, this is not that much of an oddity. Chance of sneak success is halved, you can be hit on your arms and legs twice as good as on normal ground and your AC is lowered by 1/4 the maximum amount.

The "electro" damage (other stats as "poison", "laser" etc) resistances are under developed. There will be much more juggling between "does this give me this bonus or that". Electro damage was the worst case in Fallout. Either it was full success on Robot enemies, or it was 0hp wasted turns on human enemies. This will go away. The more hi-tech equipment you carry, the more likely your electricity resistance is lowered. This is done by a new stat that I soon will reveal. :)

This can, however, prove for interesting combat situations too. Think of that water bottle filled with clean liquid you just poured that gold into? Well, throw it at your enemy, let the bottle explode, make him "wet" and electrify the shit out of him. :)

There will be similar treatments to other stats such as "explosive", "poison", "radiation", "laser", "plasma" and such. They all sucked in Fallout and barely made a difference. In WR; they will.

Now, what's your opinion towards the changes?

For late game purposes,underwater (plus vessels) combat is invetibale anyway, but I won't spoiler. :)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It was EMP, not electro that hurt robots and not players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom