Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For when I play Skyrim 2017

Ivan

Arcane
I've come to enjoy Morrowind, God knows not for the quest design, but for exploring its unique world. I find it quite weak in itemization, and the less said about its progression system the better. I love Gothic (progression, itemization, natural enemy gating), I have yet to find a FP melee system that has done for me what Bayo or God Hand have for Third Person combat but anything that emphasizes parrying, timing (dark souls stamina type of thing) would be great. I hate slow running speeds, particularly when there's a gauge tied to it that forces you to either find a cheat item or just wait around.

That being said, what gameplay mods would you suggest. I love the feel of early Gothic/STALKER/Fallout where you're as disposable as a vendor but slowly accrue better equipment and improve your skills.

Also, should be fine with my 670 or when I upgrade next year?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Requiem.
Requiem Survival Experience recommended mods. Among others: Realistic Needs and Diseases, Frostfall, Hunterborn.
Revenge of the Enemies (Requiem patch available).

Skyrim is such a weak RPG it desperately needs any mod that can improve on what's already there: combat, survivalism, and difficulty.

Ivan

Arcane
any ETA on Requiem 2? I think I'll just wait for that to be coupled with the Remastered version for my first go w/ Skyrim.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
any ETA on Requiem 2? I think I'll just wait for that to be coupled with the Remastered version for my first go w/ Skyrim.

Not that I know of, but it should be soon.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Requiem makes the leveling more like Gothic, yes? Trainers and such?

Nope. But it does make leveling much more rewarding, as pretty much like in Gothic, you suck at everything unless you have the perks.

So lockpicking is impossible, for example.

Ivan

Arcane
sounds dope. how accommodating is it for hybrids. ex: Melee sword and board w/lockpicking skills and archery.

is this like Skyrim, Morrowind, where with enough time you can be a jack of all trades? or does it get rid of attribute progression

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
sounds dope. how accommodating is it for hybrids. ex: Melee sword and board w/lockpicking skills and archery.

is this like Skyrim, Morrowind, where with enough time you can be a jack of all trades? or does it get rid of attribute progression

Requiiem forces you to pick a good build early on. That is, you just can't spread your perks all over the board, or else you will have a gimped character.

It's similar to Gothic in this regard, since you have to pick some skills and stick with them for the remainder of your playthrough. Of course, you can spend perk point in a few very basic skills (like Lockpicking, so that you can at least pick the shittiest of chests). But it encourages sticking with a build.

I think it also gives each race more appropiate stat bonuses. In the vanilla game, Altmers are the objectively best race as every race has the same bonuses (or better said, lack thereof), while Altmers get extra points in Magicka. Now it isn't like that anymore.

Requiem's only problem is that the mod is designed around a flawed main quest and quest system. Imagine if Gothic made you face dinosaurs from the beginning. That's basically what Skyrim did: it forces you to fight hordes of undead enemies, and in Requiem these guys are fairly though. What most people are able to complete at levels 1-4 in Skyrim, it takes you to reach level 15 to be able to complete without sweating in Requiem.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
IDK man my experience with overhaul mods like requiem is that they either make the game ridiculously difficult (as in everything 1-shots you) or they keep the game way too easy.

In requiem you can really only take on one or two bandits at a time but every quest in Skyrim involves you killing entire bandit camps, necromancers, and dragons from the beginning. The game really isn't designed for this kind of overhaul.

I would recommend just not playing Skyrim if you're looking for a skill based system. It's really more of a god-simulator than anything.

Ivan

Arcane
see I just finished a line of Gothic 1 and 2 and I just need more of the good stuff. even if it's done using a faggot ass engine as gamebryo.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got the Legendary edition. Spent about 2 hours researching and installing the mods. Booted up the game and for a while just kept staring, completely awestruck.

I played Skyrim shortly after launch, finished in about a month and then never touched it again until now. It's absolutely incredible what the modders did with the game. Like the reskinned Whiterun...Jesus Christ, I just slow walked around and gaped. Whoever is responsible for the mod must've spent hundreds of hours creating it. The mod that replaced the idiot scaled weapons and armor with varied handrafted pieces is fucking unbelievable too.

The game runs at barely 30 fps ony my above average machine but fuck it, not gonna revert back to vanilla, I doubt I could even play it after what I've seen.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Drax

Arcane
I've come to enjoy Morrowind, God knows not for the quest design, but for exploring its unique world. I find it quite weak in itemization, and the less said about its progression system the better. I love Gothic (progression, itemization, natural enemy gating), I have yet to find a FP melee system that has done for me what Bayo or God Hand have for Third Person combat but anything that emphasizes parrying, timing (dark souls stamina type of thing) would be great. I hate slow running speeds, particularly when there's a gauge tied to it that forces you to either find a cheat item or just wait around.

That being said, what gameplay mods would you suggest. I love the feel of early Gothic/STALKER/Fallout where you're as disposable as a vendor but slowly accrue better equipment and improve your skills.

Also, should be fine with my 670 or when I upgrade next year?

I haven't played in a while but he ones I remember as a must-have:

- Any "alternative start" mod. Once you've seen the intro once then it just limit your following playthroughs.
- SkyUI + MCM
- SKSE, obviously.
- Elyss uncapper
For gameplay mechanics mods you can choose to go with overhauls which can ease up the titanic task of modding TES in which case most people here will point to Requiem, and there are other "specialized" overhauls, like perkus maximus that can be integrated with other mechanic-specific overhaul.

In some aspects, modding skyrim is sometimes more fun that actually playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom