Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Forged of Blood - turn-based tactical fantasy RPG

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Self funded or do you guys get some investment from venture capitalist? Good to see some crpg loves, few of friends that got to game dev went mostly F2P or JRPGish genre.
Any reason you guys are developing in Jakarta? It is not the cheapest city for a fairly new game-dev studio.

For release what will your strategy be? Early Access? Will there be crowdfunding?

Anyways goodluck! Seems design wise you guys know what you are doing.

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Self funded or do you guys get some investment from venture capitalist? Good to see some crpg loves, few of friends that got to game dev went mostly F2P or JRPGish genre.
Any reason you guys are developing in Jakarta? It is not the cheapest city for a fairly new game-dev studio.

For release what will your strategy be? Early Access? Will there be crowdfunding?

Anyways goodluck! Seems design wise you guys know what you are doing.

Self funded for now, but we will seek additional funding next year. Ideally crowdfunding, but we understand that the trend in crowdfunding isn't as good as it was before. With regards to venture capitalists, we are a bit wary because we prefer to not turn our first game into a FTP, ad-supported, and daily energy micro-transaction game.

I love early access for the ability to interact with our most passionate gamer fans. It will allow us to get early feedback of the game systems we have implemented. At the same time, we are aware of how many unfinished early access games are out there. I guess this depends on our funding situation next year.

We develop in Jakarta because that's where we happened to live.

Thanks,
-Joe

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
those softwares licenses must cost a fuckton of money. converting software prices from dollars to rupiah is fucking pain the wallet. wish you guys luck anyway. :salute:

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Hey guys, we've had a super busy month getting ready for our first showing at Game Prime Asia in Jakarta on November 29-30. (Shout out to any Indo RPG Codexers! Come on over!)

If you're around, we're demoing Forged of Blood at the event with a sweet little Hot-seat set up. We're also issuing an open challenge to anyone who thinks they can beat us at our game: Beat our game designer Milo on a map of your choice (of 3) with your own team composition (3 units vs 3 units) and you get a sweet shirt.

The event is a week away, but I thought I'd share one of our posters that I'm working on turning into our first teaser trailer. The art was hand drawn by our Art Director Ken and we're parting out the layers to turn this into a teaser trailer for next week! (Fingers crossed I don't butcher his art too much..)

kvnnrQd.jpg

Last edited:

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
why is this held at weekdays?

OMG right?! We were a little baffled as well... so that means 2 less days for the studio to work since we're all going, but I suppose it's "mandatory studio bonding time" hehe.. complete with matching shirts and everything! :cool:

This game looks very interesting so far, but I have one question, In the game features section of the highlights says:

"With 9 unique weapon....."

Honestly that does not seem that impressive, unless perhaps you mean 9 classes of weapons? (like axe, hammer, mace, pole arm etc..with more varied types in each class...)

So do you mean 9 weapon classes, or there are 9 total weapons modeled in the game?

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
This game looks very interesting so far, but I have one question, In the game features section of the highlights says:

"With 9 unique weapon....."

Honestly that does not seem that impressive, unless perhaps you mean 9 classes of weapons? (like axe, hammer, mace, pole arm etc..with more varied types in each class...)

So do you mean 9 weapon classes, or there are 9 total weapons modeled in the game?​

Hey there, thanks for the comment!

So yeah, this was a bit of a struggle for me as well. As a gamer who has been familiar with the range of options we get in the likes of Diablo and Baldur's Gate - I wanted more weapons! More armor! And more variations! But a funny thing happens when you're now on the development side, and you have a small budget and team to work with... and you have big dreams and ideas. You have to compromise. (joesys can probably attest to our many arguments as to how many models I can realistically be budgeted for.. )

:negative:

Anyway, you are correct: there are 9 weapon classes with 4 different materials and 2 special variations of those 9 weapons (Volgissian (Ancient race) and "Legendary") - and that is basically the most we can do given our resources. I hope that's enough for now as we still have a lot planned and hopefully we can change our situation once we go into the crowdfunding round, but as it stands... we're on a tightrope and balancing our desires and capabilities has been a necessary and soul crushing process. Our game designer might have more to add, but for now I'll share a couple of the basic weapons we're showcasing at the upcoming Game Prime Asia:​

yMgAZnu.jpg

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Hello, Milo here. I've been heading up most of the game design of Forged of Blood. While I normally leave public responses to Igor, I thought I'd step in and explain a bit about this.

While I agree that 9 weapons alone is not that much, that statement is also a bit reductive. We have 9 base weapons that can be crafted from 10 distinct materials, 15 weapon quality attributes, and 6 distinct weapon enchantments. We also have unique weapons but the specific number of them has not yet been determind. So the weapon diversity will be both visually and mechanically more diverse than stating "9 weapons" implies.

Also, each weapon has its own skill tree and each character will be able to have a primary and a secondary weapon. For instance, Longsword and Maul, the weapons we will be showing a bit of at Game Prime, can be be used in tandem to create distinct build options. For illustration purposes, I'll explain the Maul archetypes a bit. While there is no single maul build, there are some more obvious choices. If you go down one branch of the Maul Ability Tree, you will be able to create a build that is good at holding ground by using attacks of opportunity to try to knock back opponents, ending their movement and preventing them from entering the space. Another option would be to create a build that is focused on penetrating Heavy Armor builds. There are other options as well. Each of the 9 weapons has numerous distinct builds that are viable options and have their own unique role to play in the tactical combat. When combined with the other game mechanics, I believe you will find the game to be rich with diverse build options and an array of viable and emergent tactics.

Hello, Milo here. I've been heading up most of the game design of Forged of Blood. While I normally leave public responses to Igor, I thought I'd step in and explain a bit about this.

While I agree that 9 weapons alone is not that much, that statement is also a bit reductive. We have 9 base weapons that can be crafted from 10 distinct materials, 15 weapon quality attributes, and 6 distinct weapon enchantments. We also have unique weapons but the specific number of them has not yet been determind. So the weapon diversity will be both visually and mechanically more diverse than stating "9 weapons" implies.

Also, each weapon has its own skill tree and each character will be able to have a primary and a secondary weapon. For instance, Longsword and Maul, the weapons we will be showing a bit of at Game Prime, can be be used in tandem to create distinct build options. For illustration purposes, I'll explain the Maul archetypes a bit. While there is no single maul build, there are some more obvious choices. If you go down one branch of the Maul Ability Tree, you will be able to create a build that is good at holding ground by using attacks of opportunity to try to knock back opponents, ending their movement and preventing them from entering the space. Another option would be to create a build that is focused on penetrating Heavy Armor builds. There are other options as well. Each of the 9 weapons has numerous distinct builds that are viable options and have their own unique role to play in the tactical combat. When combined with the other game mechanics, I believe you will find the game to be rich with diverse build options and an array of viable and emergent tactics.
that all sounds pretty good imo, with everything you described it certainly does sound more than just '9 weapons', given that there are materials and quality attributes. The game looks very good to me at this point, look forward to seeing it develop further.

Mazisky

Magister
Guys go crowfunding!! a lot of people will be excited to put money for a fantasy TB tactics!!!

laclongquan

Arcane
joesys An aspect of marketing and gameplay

Make one flagship female character. The whole job: character, full figure vision in wallpaper form and video...
It make marketing so much easier. And no matter what hardcore gamers say, they still can be caught by a half nekkid female in tattered robe or bikini armor. Show some fucking flesh, man!
Seriously, this should be one easy and effective tactic but indie devs almost never do it? What, marketing is below your notice?

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Guys go crowfunding!! a lot of people will be excited to put money for a fantasy TB tactics!!!
We will! Some time in February/March!

... no matter what hardcore gamers say, they still can be caught by a half nekkid female in tattered robe or bikini armor. Show some fucking flesh, man!
Seriously, this should be one easy and effective tactic but indie devs almost never do it? What, marketing is below your notice?

:lol:

Hahaha, unfortunately we won't have sexy armor for females... more a budgeting thing than realism, but maybe a poster could do some good.

Indranys

Savant
...but maybe a poster could do some good.
What madness is this? As long as I'm alive there's no way I'll set my foot in Barad-du- damned city of Jakarta.

Now do the right thing man, make her looks like Chelsea Islan, I mean like her twin sister or something.
You know deep in your heart, you too understand it very well, that our national waifu is much more important than your gamu anyway...
That is the will of God, my good man...

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Ok so, only fair we post this here first:
Not a lot of info since this is just a snippet from our intended cinematic trailer, but hopefully that might whet your appetites!

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
What happens if the protagonist dies in battle? Can we continue playing like in JA2?
And can you tell us more about the strategic layer?

I'll answer this one. While we played with the idea of continuing the game on without the protagonist, I feel that didn't quite fit the way I wanted the narrative to unfold. So right now, the plan is just ending with an "Epilogue" cinematic on Protagonist death.

Ok in broad strokes, the Strategic Layer is where you move your Parties that are marked as pawns. Moving them to a region gives the option to "Explore" which will uncover quests that will either further a story, a specific quest thread, or trigger combat. Completing quests in a region will allow you to conquer the region and get resources (mostly gold, but certain regions will have unique resources that you will need for crafting and the like.) Now the broad objective is to conquer as many regions as possible before the "end" game trigger, and you can do so by doing the quests in each region, or chase down some of the larger quest threads that could end in taking a group of regions at once. Throughout all this, there is a central narrative, focused on the protagonist and his brother that serve as a guiding hand to drive the game forward.

Here is a look at our UI pass for the Strategic Layer:
lF4L65I.jpg

And a very early GIF of our first prototype:
y8Fyk13.gif

Hope this helps. We're still figuring a few things out, but it's all coming together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom