Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Forged of Blood - turn-based tactical fantasy RPG

Space Insect

Arcane
So like DAI but hopefully good and with real stats.

Blackmill

Scholar
Throughout all this, there is a central narrative, focused on the protagonist and his brother that serve as a guiding hand to drive the game forward.

Haven't found a game that's forced familial relationships without those relationships feeling contrived and thus hurting the narrative elements. I'm still looking forward to your game but necessarily having a brother isn't something I want.

Fever

Educated
Looks very promising.
It's too early to comment in detail on game's features, but I especially like the art direction. I think it's a solid basis for all those great ideas.
Best of luck and waiting for the kickstarter.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Hey guys,

We're back from Game Prime Asia and have put together a small video showcasing the build we put out and some of our future plans. We're going to spend the next month cleaning up our code and getting assets ready for the full cinematic we plan on releasing in a couple months, but for now we've got some feedback regarding the tactical gameplay itself and we're taking it all to heart - the good and the bad!

Cheers!

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It looks quite nice for a few months of work in a small team. I wonder what engine are they using.

Drowed

Arcane
Looking really great so far. Waiting for a page on Steam/GOG so I can put it on my wishlist.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Tri-Axis Personality Plot?

Hey, so the Tri-Axis Personality plot is our way of doing "personality" in our game. Without elaborating too much right now... we wanted to avoid the usual Good vs. Evil / Light vs. Dark, etc... and just show that people are just... people. So a character's personality will be plotted on 3 axises between Empathy, Wisdom, and Hedonism. Relationships will be based on how far a character's Personality Plot Point is - the extent to which these relationships affect the over all game are still being worked out but it is our way of advancing the story between the PC and the main supporting character.

We'll go in greater detail once we have more of it implemented, hopefully that's enough for now.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Gorram. Looks pretty nice! is there going to be a kickstarter?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tri-Axis Personality Plot?

Hey, so the Tri-Axis Personality plot is our way of doing "personality" in our game. Without elaborating too much right now... we wanted to avoid the usual Good vs. Evil / Light vs. Dark, etc... and just show that people are just... people. So a character's personality will be plotted on 3 axises between Empathy, Wisdom, and Hedonism. Relationships will be based on how far a character's Personality Plot Point is - the extent to which these relationships affect the over all game are still being worked out but it is our way of advancing the story between the PC and the main supporting character.

We'll go in greater detail once we have more of it implemented, hopefully that's enough for now.
Is there anything you can share? How many characters do we control?
Is there exploration or do we move around on a map and then get combat encounters?
Do we get pre-defined characters or can we make a customized party?

Anything that you can share would be appreciated.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Is there anything you can share? How many characters do we control?
Is there exploration or do we move around on a map and then get combat encounters?
Do we get pre-defined characters or can we make a customized party?

Anything that you can share would be appreciated.

Ooh, ok some of these we've pretty much settled on so I can speak to those.

The maximum number of characters you can have out in the "field" is 15, but that is not to say you can't have more sitting around your castle. Of that, you can have up to 3 parties, moving around the world map, and each party can have up to 5 characters = hence 15 characters.

Most of the world traversal will take place on the "Strategic Map" pictured below - sorry for reposting the same images, we don't have a lot of this stuff uploaded yet.
lF4L65I.jpg

You'll note there's that little wooden "Pawn" in the lower left corner, aptly named "King's Party."

This "special" pawn represents the party that includes the King or the Player Character, and in this case the party is made up of 3 characters.

So on this layer, you will move your "Party Pawns" around the map to conquer territories, which you do by exploring a Region and completing quests. Once conquered, these territories contribute gold or materials which you can use to upgrade your Castle, research or craft items. In one of my earlier posts, I believe I have shown the prototype below, but it shows the "Pawn" moving and exploring a region, and the quests popping up. These quests will be how most combat in the game starts, and serve to move the different narrative branches forward as well.
y8Fyk13.gif

Regarding the individual characters: yes you will be able to customize them. Meaningful choice and build diversity is our huge focus for the game, and how you build your character from their core stats to how you distribute their ability points in weapons or magic will greatly affect the make up of your parties.

We are planning on having a manageable - this word is key since our writing staff is... umm. Me and a young lady who has yet to realize what she got herself into - number of unique/named NPCs you can recruit who will add to the story, but a good amount of the characters you recruit to fill out your parties will be randomly generated, but all of whom will have their own personality plot points and are fully customizable in terms of leveling up and skill point distribution.

There was also a question regarding hexes above. Oh boy, that was a long debate we had at the very beginning of our little adventure. Hmm... I think that might make an interesting blog post so I'll go bother our game designer and Joe for that. Thanks for the question - I promise we'll share it here when its ready.

For now, those of you interested in our world can read this blog post on the Worldbuilding aspect for this game:
http://forgedofblood.com/2016/10/21/worldbuilding/

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There was also a question regarding hexes above. Oh boy, that was a long debate we had at the very beginning of our little adventure. Hmm... I think that might make an interesting blog post so I'll go bother our game designer and Joe for that. Thanks for the question - I promise we'll share it here when its ready.

This would be interesting, personally I came from a clear preference of hexes, but now tend to like squares a bit more for this type of games.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer

This would be interesting, personally I came from a clear preference of hexes, but now tend to like squares a bit more for this type of games.

Hello, Milo here again. I just thought I'd give a quick answer to this as I don't think it warrants a blog post.

While there was a lot of discussion over a couple of weeks on this topic and short tests during prototyping, in the end it came down to visual interpretation of information. For instance, if I place a wall along a hex, it will pass mid way through half the squares it passes through, best case scenario. Given we have a cover system, this does create some situations in which it is difficult to visually interpret if something provides cover. I think the easiest illustration of the issue is at the corner of the wall. If the wall ends on a hex in which it is perfectly adjacent, the character will be spaced correctly to provide cover. However, if the wall ends on a hex that is half occupied instead, the character will have an additional half hex gap between itself and the wall. This causes the character to appear farther away from the wall as well as changing the amount of cover provided when we apply the cover to the character. There's also questions on whether a character that is so far from the wall should receive the cover bonus at all. Also, because of how we calculate when the cover applies, it creates situation in which some corner covers are better than others simply because of the tiling. When the player has less clear information, they are less able to make a meaningful choice and instead just go with their gut. While that's not necessarily bad, it does not fit with the design of our game.

It also just creates more situations in which it is harder to determine which squares are occupied and which are not prior to you being within range of moving there and checking. This means that there is more "guess and check" involved in the movement, which is counter to one of our design pillars "meaningful choice". Ideally, we want to be able to communicate information to the players in a clear and easy manner. One of the easiest means to do this is through visual communication but this requires easy interpretation of what they see. This means the players should be able to quickly and easily see whether a square is occupied prior to moving there as it could influence their decision on whether to move there or not.

Squares, on the other hand, primarily have an issue with diagonal movement, something that hex movement does not encounter. In terms of movement, hex is generally better. However, we figured out a fairly good compromise in the movement by using something similar to what you see in most table top games in which the movement cost for diagonal is staggered. For instance, in Pathfinder, the first diagonal movement costs 1 and the second costs 2, and this is repeated indefinitely. While not mathematically precise, it is a fairly close approximation to what it should be (1:root 2). Since this removed the primary disadvantage with using squares, it made squares an obvious choice for us in the end with hex not having any mechanical or representational advantage. I still like hex in table top games as it just feels more organic to me but squares are a better choice for our game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would both brofist and give informative if I could.
That is a fairly good analysis of the problem of hex vs square.
And I would actually make it (at least part of) a blog post, given that this will likely come up again.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Hey all,

We're coming to the studio's short winter break and some of the team will be taking a much needed break from production - that said, we're taking the time to put up a series of progress videos and a large "year in review" dev blog post this week.

Anyway, I'll start us out with our tactical progress video that shows our evolution from the base toolkit to the build we have right now:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey all,

We're coming to the studio's short winter break and some of the team will be taking a much needed break from production - that said, we're taking the time to put up a series of progress videos and a large "year in review" dev blog post this week.

Anyway, I'll start us out with our tactical progress video that shows our evolution from the base toolkit to the build we have right now:

should've justsaid christmas/holiday break because it's fucking scorching right now outside my office (west jakarta area)

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Hey all,

should've justsaid christmas/holiday break because it's fucking scorching right now outside my office (west jakarta area)

Haha... force of habit. I miss the snow... We're in Central Jakarta so at least we get the odd 5 minute rain storm -.-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom