Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Forgotten Gems: 2400 A.D.

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, May 30, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Chuck Bueche; Forgotten Gems; Origin Systems

Esteemed community member Crooked Bee did not only finish her LP of Origin System's 2400 A.D., she also decided to contribute to our popular Forgotten Gems series by typing up a retrospective review.

In 2400 A.D., everything is a puzzle. Many of the more important quests can only be solved if lined up in a puzzle-like chain. The absence of a quest journal or an automap only make that aspect of the game stronger. The closest you get to having a map is by acquiring a certain device that lets you survey your surroundings when used; it has a very limited scope, though, and leaves much for you to figure out by yourself. Finding your way into the underground is certainly one of the puzzles, with several solutions hidden around the city. Sometimes failing is the best option, and you can learn as much, if not more, from your failures as from your successes; being arrested, for example, is actually the quickest way to reach the underground, requiring, however, a bit of out of the box thinking. Getting to know where to find an item, who to ask about it and who to show it to, all belong to the game's most pleasant and challenging moments. Even locating the vendors to buy new items from or sell old ones to (and those are two different types of vendors) can be a problem if you don't look around or follow clues carefully enough, as the underground tunnels tend to be quite maze-like and hide many secrets. There are also other puzzles: a slidewalk maze, a maze of pushable crates, or a transporter maze. Writing down clues is a must, as is searching around for them. The controls are again Ultima-like, with the game utilizing almost the entire keyboard for issuing commands. You can't just see the items lying on the ground next to you, you must search around to uncover them.

The game features some of Ultima V's future and much praised interactivity, which creates even more room for implementing puzzles. You can push around or climb over many of the furniture items surrounding you -- you can even climb over NPCs in your way! -- sometimes revealing well-hidden, and even plot-critical, passages. Climbing pipes to get to otherwise inaccessible areas is a must, too. Doors can be kicked out, consuming a good deal of your Energy, 20 or 40 points depending on the door type. And if you can find and repair (which is also done as a puzzle) the game's most powerful secret weapon, you'll be able to simply blow doors open like a real badass. The city of Metropolis features an extensive slidewalk system that can also provide some entertaining moments (try disabling a robot standing on a moving walkway!), as well as transporter and subway networks. Figuring out how to operate transporters, including the secret ones, is in fact one of this game's hardest puzzles. And as far as interactivity goes, you can even get run over by a subway train! Truly ground-breaking stuff.​

Read the whole article here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    :salute:

Greenpeace: The RPG?

Sounds kinda dum.

^ Top  
  4. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    :love: for the review. Will you plan to do another review for Ukruul after you're done with it?

^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah, that makes 2400 A.D.'s (quite simplistic) combat fast enough for it not to become a nuisance. Dealing with encounters quickly is part of the fun. Relax too much, and lol you've been shot. Hello, Social Rehabilitation Center.

Hopefully, some day. :P Writing an Uukrul review -- one doing justice to the game's complexity -- will require much more effort on my part, though.

^ Top  
  6. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    StarQuest: Rescue at Rigel

:smug:

Plagiarism!

:rpgcodex:

:love:

^ Top  
  7. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Get a life, woman!

goes back to GD

:troll:

^ Top  
  8. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    Parrots:
    I see that you have been granted honorary maleship for your feat.

^ Top  
  9. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Whadda you know kids, you have to brief me into such details like an actual female on the Codex. Can't expect me to read all threads.

^ Top  
  10. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    The article is more credible that way.

^ Top  
  11. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    Should have made a kitchen joke.

Inclined review, by the way.

^ Top  
  12. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    Should have made a kitchen joke.

Inclined review, by the way.

^ Top  
  13. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    oh i remember that one, had it for PC on pirated disks.

^ Top  
  14. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    P. cool game. Also the shortest LP on the codex? It was done in 4 pages! :P

^ Top  
  15. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  16. torpid Liturgist

torpid
    Parrots:
    Great review -- informative and entertaining! You totally should write a review of Uukrul once you finish it. Not like the Codex isn't already a time sink with all the LPs you're running ;)

Poland: the Dystopia.

^ Top  
  17. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Now thats incline, i prefer to read a well constructed review than the usual teen rants about modern games wich doesnt deserves more than a few lines.This souns more ike the codex of 2002 when i was lurking and reading board.

^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    :salute:

^ Top  
  19. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    Parrots:
    Wha? My e-bro is no bro at all? How come I didn't know for this long? :?

^ Top  
  20. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Nice read about some classic rpg *inclineofcodex* :salute:

About the gender issues; men and women are fluent concepts on the codex anyway...

^ Top  
  21. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Cool. Glad you folks enjoyed my little review! It's my first one, and truth be told I didn't even expect it to be accepted as part of the Codex content. Thanks to whoever corrected my bad grammar, by the way, and to the content peeps whoever you are. ;)

Wow, highest praise ever.

Thanks, torpid, I'll try to once I have enough time for that.

Haven't been following my LPs, I see? I am disappoint.

Still, I can be anything for you, Kalos-kun. :oops:

Indeed.

^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Thanks, MS! I luv u 2. :love:

^ Top  
  23. Krraloth Liturgist Patron

Krraloth
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    Awesome review.

Why, oh why don't you review MOAR?

^ Top  
  24. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I really liked your review. Wanna fuck?

On a more serious note (not that my offer for sex wasn't serious), the game sounds really interesting, haven't played it before, gonna play it now. Reviews of old games are always the best :love:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)