Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Forgotten Gems: 2400 A.D.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chuck Bueche; Forgotten Gems; Origin Systems

Esteemed community member Crooked Bee did not only finish her LP of Origin System's 2400 A.D., she also decided to contribute to our popular Forgotten Gems series by typing up a retrospective review.

In 2400 A.D., everything is a puzzle. Many of the more important quests can only be solved if lined up in a puzzle-like chain. The absence of a quest journal or an automap only make that aspect of the game stronger. The closest you get to having a map is by acquiring a certain device that lets you survey your surroundings when used; it has a very limited scope, though, and leaves much for you to figure out by yourself. Finding your way into the underground is certainly one of the puzzles, with several solutions hidden around the city. Sometimes failing is the best option, and you can learn as much, if not more, from your failures as from your successes; being arrested, for example, is actually the quickest way to reach the underground, requiring, however, a bit of out of the box thinking. Getting to know where to find an item, who to ask about it and who to show it to, all belong to the game's most pleasant and challenging moments. Even locating the vendors to buy new items from or sell old ones to (and those are two different types of vendors) can be a problem if you don't look around or follow clues carefully enough, as the underground tunnels tend to be quite maze-like and hide many secrets. There are also other puzzles: a slidewalk maze, a maze of pushable crates, or a transporter maze. Writing down clues is a must, as is searching around for them. The controls are again Ultima-like, with the game utilizing almost the entire keyboard for issuing commands. You can't just see the items lying on the ground next to you, you must search around to uncover them.

The game features some of Ultima V's future and much praised interactivity, which creates even more room for implementing puzzles. You can push around or climb over many of the furniture items surrounding you -- you can even climb over NPCs in your way! -- sometimes revealing well-hidden, and even plot-critical, passages. Climbing pipes to get to otherwise inaccessible areas is a must, too. Doors can be kicked out, consuming a good deal of your Energy, 20 or 40 points depending on the door type. And if you can find and repair (which is also done as a puzzle) the game's most powerful secret weapon, you'll be able to simply blow doors open like a real badass. The city of Metropolis features an extensive slidewalk system that can also provide some entertaining moments (try disabling a robot standing on a moving walkway!), as well as transporter and subway networks. Figuring out how to operate transporters, including the secret ones, is in fact one of this game's hardest puzzles. And as far as interactivity goes, you can even get run over by a subway train! Truly ground-breaking stuff.​

Read the whole article here.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:salute:

the Metropolis Botanic Garden was turned into the city dump.

even potatoes are synthetic.

Greenpeace: The RPG?

With CPU cycles in DOSBox set to 2000, I only had about half a second to issue a command to either attack, move, or use an item before the enemy executed its next turn.

Sounds kinda dum.

lightbane

Arcane
:love: for the review. Will you plan to do another review for Ukruul after you're done with it?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Darth Roxor said:
With CPU cycles in DOSBox set to 2000, I only had about half a second to issue a command to either attack, move, or use an item before the enemy executed its next turn.

Sounds kinda dum.

Nah, that makes 2400 A.D.'s (quite simplistic) combat fast enough for it not to become a nuisance. Dealing with encounters quickly is part of the fun. Relax too much, and lol you've been shot. Hello, Social Rehabilitation Center.

lightbane said:
Will you plan to do another review for Ukruul after you're done with it?

Hopefully, some day. :P Writing an Uukrul review -- one doing justice to the game's complexity -- will require much more effort on my part, though.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Being a futuristic RPG, and one of the first ones to boot, 2400 A.D. (1987) is...
StarQuest: Rescue at Rigel

:smug:

Crooked Bee said:
There is some good robot variety in the first two classes, but not so much in the third and the fourth. Unfortunately, the developers seem to have run out ideas at some point, and the higher-class robots are simply reinforced versions of the lower-class ones.
Plagiarism!

:rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee said:
P.S. Special thanks are due to those who followed my 2400 A.D. LP and offered valuable comments on the game!
:love:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
herostratus said:
Esteemed community member Crooked Bee did not only finish his LP

I see that you have been granted honorary maleship for your feat.

Whadda you know kids, you have to brief me into such details like an actual female on the Codex. Can't expect me to read all threads.

torpid

Liturgist
Great review -- informative and entertaining! You totally should write a review of Uukrul once you finish it. Not like the Codex isn't already a time sink with all the LPs you're running ;)

Darth Roxor said:
even potatoes are synthetic.
Greenpeace: The RPG?

Poland: the Dystopia.

Mortmal

Arcane
Now thats incline, i prefer to read a well constructed review than the usual teen rants about modern games wich doesnt deserves more than a few lines.This souns more ike the codex of 2002 when i was lurking and reading board.

Morkar Left

Nice read about some classic rpg *inclineofcodex* :salute:

About the gender issues; men and women are fluent concepts on the codex anyway...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cool. Glad you folks enjoyed my little review! It's my first one, and truth be told I didn't even expect it to be accepted as part of the Codex content. Thanks to whoever corrected my bad grammar, by the way, and to the content peeps whoever you are. ;)

Mortmal said:
Now thats incline, i prefer to read a well constructed review than the usual teen rants about modern games wich doesnt deserves more than a few lines.This souns more ike the codex of 2002 when i was lurking and reading board.

Wow, highest praise ever.

torpid said:
Great review -- informative and entertaining! You totally should write a review of Uukrul once you finish it.

Thanks, torpid, I'll try to once I have enough time for that.

KalosKagathos said:
Wha? My e-bro is no bro at all? How come I didn't know for this long? :?

Haven't been following my LPs, I see? I am disappoint.
:rpgcodex:

Still, I can be anything for you, Kalos-kun. :oops:

Morkar said:
men and women are fluent concepts on the codex anyway...

Indeed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really liked your review. Wanna fuck?

On a more serious note (not that my offer for sex wasn't serious), the game sounds really interesting, haven't played it before, gonna play it now. Reviews of old games are always the best :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom