Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Former WoW Dev: "I think we killed a genre."

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do remember the immense amounts of butthurt the zombie event caused in WoW. :greatjob:

That was the best part of WoW and many players cried rivers because of this stuff.

Same thing happened with Hakkars blood bug, nearly all life was exterminated on some servers :)

Edit: I don't think we'll ever see something like UO again at least officialy...
I tried to get into EVE so many times but its combat mechanics really piss me off as a dog-fight lover.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
inr3bo.jpg

abija

Prophet
TBH the devs are pretty much clueless. PVE is incredibly boring and gives a lot less XP than PVP (regardless if you win or lose, NEXT GEN WOOP WOOP). Which means the potentially good PVP side is ruined by XP farmers. So basically the only way to have fun in the game is to join some irc channels or w/e to get custom pvp games.

Speaking of difficulty, some recent patch did these changes to the tutorial:
· Reduced timing and pacing of the Sprint Challenge to reduce chance of failure.

· Player will auto complete Sprint Challenge if they fail twice.
And they have the nerve to talk about difficulty in MMOs.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
*Player will auto complete Sprint Challenge if they faile twice*

:lol:

If they fail 7 times, it should delete their account and charge them $5 for a failure fee.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I still think the best mmorpg I ever played was Shadowbane. It focused almost entirely on pvp/guilds. Which for me is what a mass multiplayer game should focus on. It was just so epic how in Shadowbane you could build cities if you had enough gold, then other guilds would just attack you and destroy your carefully built city. I remember how one server I was on actually had so many Asians that banded together into a guild, that they literately dominated the entire server with their empire wiping out all competition. At which point the sever was shut down and people moved on.
Also had fun with anarchy online for a while...

I'm surprised the guy who wrote that shit down, didn't get sued or something for saying "My game is going to be better than theirs ever was."

MMORPGs are dying not because WoW killed the genre but because almost all of them are shit.
More frankly, genre died after all new MMOs pretended to be a WoW-killer - no matter if it was self-made claim or by enthusiasts.
It might be cool to occasionally allow a random player to spawn as a raid target and then demolish all those premade strategies everybody loves.
Now that sounds awesome :bounce: Reminds me when I always imagined fighting any mage opponent in Morrowind, but with him having my spellbook instead of those "let's blindly throw anything we have regardless of resists and then poke PC with dagger" tactics. That would make things really complicated in hands of a competent player and boss being a BOSS, not cannon fodder and free phat lootz.
Boy, oh boy.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That would make things really complicated in hands of a competent player and boss being a BOSS, not cannon fodder and free phat lootz.
Boy, oh boy.

If memory serves LOTRO had something like this. Not a raid boss, but there was a zone where players could control high-level monsters and beat up other players.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MMORPGs are dying not because WoW killed the genre but because almost all of them are shit.
More frankly, genre died after all new MMOs pretended to be a WoW-killer - no matter if it was self-made claim or by enthusiasts.

I played pretty much all new big MMOs and I cant tell you the reasons why people abandoned then, like Age of Conan having great starting area but completely underdeveloped rest of the game or Warhammer Online with totally unbalanced factions in PvP game.

Claiming to be a WoW killer has nothing to do with anything, its just a marketing ploy to get more people to play the game, in the end the quality of the game will make players play it or abandon it.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played pretty much all new big MMOs and I cant tell you the reasons why people abandoned then, like Age of Conan having great starting area but completely underdeveloped rest of the game or Warhammer Online with totally unbalanced factions in PvP game.

Curious to hear your opinion on SWToR's failure to succeed.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

The people did not want an MMO kotor... why would an entire fanbase that enjoyed a corridor story fag game want to play a fucking MMO. Weird decision from developers.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Single-player RPG fans had their time wasted by tedious filler gameplay, and had no reason to continue playing and paying after finishing the story. Hardcore MMO players just kept playing WoW, or rushed through the content and went back to WoW. In trying to appeal to everyone, SWTOR ended up appealing to no one.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Single-player RPG fans had their time wasted by tedious filler gameplay, and had no reason to continue playing and paying after finishing the story. Hardcore MMO players just kept playing WoW, or rushed through the content and went back to WoW. In trying to appeal to everyone, SWTOR ended up appealing to no one.

Also killed SWG for good...

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SWG was killed years before, anyone clinging on that game did only so due to nostalgy and the sense of "time spent validates continued support".

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I remember when SWG was killed. I felt a disturbance in the force, as if about four voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

@Night Goat summed it pretty nicely. I would add one more thing, there were lot of players who were interested in only playing solo and to experience the story and as said they would reach the ending pretty quickly. I think Bioware counted on players to finish atleast 3-4 storylines before asking for more content but that didnt happen. Players finished one storyline and wanted more adventures with their mains but Bioware shot self in the leg with one thing and that voice acting. Having everything voiced maybe looks good on paper but in practice its a clusterfuck. It meant that any additional content had to be voice acted which in turn meant more development time and money to make anything new, unlike their competition. Thats the reason why after the release of the game you got mostly farming instances with little story as expansions which made story focused players a bit angry because only option they had was playing all that tedious grind with new character, so most of them just quit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
SWG was killed years before, anyone clinging on that game did only so due to nostalgy and the sense of "time spent validates continued support".

There was always "A New Hope" within me, till servers got shot down :/ There were some fans trying to reopen some servers before "that patch" dunno what happened to them nowadays.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Some sort of new hope during era of WoW was always delusional, especially when looking how many other companies tried to tap on it. I too wish original SWG existed but I accepted the reality when it hit on it's full weight.

DraQ

Arcane
Having everything voiced maybe looks good on paper but in practice its a clusterfuck.
ITZ like this thing the entire Codex has been talking about for almost a decade now.

Too bad when ever some Bioware dev comes here he gets tarred and feathered almost instantly.
But we've been talking about that long before we started to tar&feather BW devs (then setting them on fire).

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was always "A New Hope" within me, till servers got shot down :/ There were some fans trying to reopen some servers before "that patch" dunno what happened to them nowadays.

They are still around.. the project looks to be coming together. Anybody interested in it probably already knows about it though.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Claiming to be a WoW killer has nothing to do with anything, its just a marketing ploy to get more people to play the game, in the end the quality of the game will make players play it or abandon it.

But if people only play quality games, why did WoW ever get so popular?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/46...-be-in-bad-shape-without-embracing-the-casual

The shadow of F2P looms over Azeroth. Are you a bad enough dude to pay us more money and keep WoW subscription-based?

"People who played Vanilla always say 'if it had stayed the same, I would have the same fun now as I did then.' But that's not true. Audiences always evolve," he explained.

Horse shit. See: Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

There will always be "hardcore" gamers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom