Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Fourteen Reasons to Hate Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jun 10, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>A few months after their <a href="http://www.explicitgamer.com/article.php?p=2744" target="_blank">enthusiastic review of Mass Effect 2</a> Explicit Gamer now discovered that they actually hate the game. Maybe in an attempt to score Kodex Kool Kredits or maybe just to increase their reputation as profeshunal gaming journalists.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><strong>Cardboard Teammates</strong><br />It's like that scene from Empire on the Falcon... if Leia had been ritually abused by bikers for the last ten years.<br />This is where no change occurred. Once again, the bulk of your potential squadmates are annoying and predictable. Jack is the worst of the bunch, with her appearance and behavior made all the more painful by the knowledge that some socially stunted design nerd believed she was clearly the 'edgy' character. Tattoos, leather and overt sexuality obviously being the fallback for shock value. We are all impressed. I like to pretend that Jack&rsquo;s character design was really a joke. That the designers thought up the worst, most cliched female bad-ass attributes and threw it in the initial proposal just to be 'wacky'. Then some suit with a pie chart and stock options greenlighted the project, on the condition they keep the 'strong female support character' to give the game some 'color'.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p><a href="http://www.explicitgamer.com/article/14-reasons-hate-mass-effect-2/page3" target="_blank">Read the whole thing there.</a></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98199-fourteen-reasons-to-hate-mass-effect-2.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Felix Arcane

Felix
    popeamole news.

^ Top  
  3. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    MASS EFFECT IS SHIT, MORE AT 11

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. circ Arcane

circ
    WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON MAINSTREAM GAMING MEDIA? YOU FUCKING LOVED THE FUCK OUT OF FUCKING MASS EFFECT 2. DID BIOWARE CALL YOU ALL UP AND TELL YOU TO TAKE BIGGER COCKS DOWN YOUR THROATS?

^ Top  
  5. Fens Ford of the Llies

Fens
    so they actually played the game now ?

^ Top  
  6. gothfox Scholar

gothfox
    Well, a few months had passed since release so it's okay to shit on ME2 now. I suppose moneyhats from publishers come with a time limit for mandatory praise.

^ Top  
  7. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    1 good reason to read the article:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    and what good reason it is!

What i always miss in these hate lists:
    The fucking scar system. It's stupid!
    I understand that in Kotor if you do evil things you look evil. I understand it in Fable.
    But Mass Effect? what the hell?
    Why am I looking like Darth Vader without Helmet just because I play the game like Dirty Harry. Shooting stupid people in the face is not evil, it's a favor to the galaxy.

^ Top  
  9. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Scars say 'I'm an evil dude'! Didn't you read what Sid Meier said about the need for the 'bad guys' to look like bad guys so gamers wouldn't be confused?

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    Unfortunatly not. Time to search it on Google!

I could accept scars, if the consoletard population needs their shepard to look evil/badass. But red glowing eyes? Come on. In ME3 Paragon Shepard will have wings and a halo or what?

^ Top  
  11. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually you don't have to search for it. I put it up on another thread(shameless cross promotion). Here it is: "If you are presenting a villain in a pirate game, give the villain the look of a pirate that the player has seen in movies, such as a character with a black curly mustache. The player will immediately know it’s a villain." Find the whole shit here: http://venturebeat.com/2010/03/12/game- ... al-gamers/

You're right though, it's a console fucktarded idea. Glowing eyes really takes the piss. I could only fathom scars and shit if you actually took a few beatings in combat. Would be cool to have your character getting gnarled and scarred as you go through a game, if you constantly are in need of medical attention aftar a fight but not how they did it. At least in KOTOR the light side/dark side only had a statistical page effect.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Muty Prophet Patron

Muty
    Wasteland 2 BattleTech
    :lol:

^ Top  
  13. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Jack is actually supposed to try too hard to be hardcore, since she's all hurt and soft within but pretends to be the strongest bitch there is (despite actually killing people left and right since her childhood, go figure). Hentai game archetype, like the others.

^ Top  
  14. TNO Scholar

TNO
    Yeah, Jack falls into 'bitter pseudo-psycho but secretly vulnerable if anyone shows her some love' girl. But I still thought that was pretty well done (hilarious promo material notwithstanding). I dunno, I thought the characters were generally one of the best things ME2 had going for it.

Not that I have a review pending on this prestigious magazine on this game myself or anything.... :wink:

^ Top  
  15. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak

^ Top  
  16. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    I really can't stand these sites. This is what always happens, they suck dick then finally realize that the taste isn't all that great.

I wish they'd go fuck off and actually play the fucking game before they "review" it.

^ Top  
  17. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    Thanks commie for the link. Kinda interesting to read. Shows how some developers think of their consumers.

@phelot:
    But saying the truth never creates traffic. They only change their opinion when most of the gamers do. Only reviews i enjoy these days are the Zero Punctuation reviews. Sure he rants a lot, but he never claims to be objective.

^ Top  
  18. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Controversial statements do, however. If they happen to be the same thing, cool.

This site is badmouthing ME2! That can't be, it's the second coming of gaming, the grand evolution of rpgs! I MUST see what they are on about.

*enters site*

^ Top  
  19. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    If that really were the case then the 'dex servers should've collapsed long ago under the weight of excess traffic. After all there are nothing but controversial statements coming out of here, whether to praise games that nobody else likes (see Alpha Protocol more recently) or to bash the "best games of the decade".

^ Top  
  20. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Ah, but unlike gamebanshee and others, we're always negative, therefore we're labeled as loons that shouldn't be given attention (in fact I was just reading a thread about that on some other site. The usual "they're just pissed games arent exactly like they were 20 ears ago" shit)

^ Top  
  21. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    That false advertisement of the 'dex always amuses me. Especially since many, many new games get praised here after getting bashed in the mainstream media (again, see Alpha Protocol, but also STALKER, and the time they were released TOEE, VtMB, and so on)

^ Top  
  22. Der_Unbekannte Educated

Der_Unbekannte
    But how many "gamers" who consume the mainstream media, know these games?

So they are right. The Codex flames all games (atleast all they know).

^ Top  
  23. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    So now it's our fault the "gamers" are ignorant moarans? :obviously:

^ Top  
  24. Black Arcane

Black
    Yeah, remember how we all badly thought of Risen?
    Or maybe that was before your time.

^ Top  
  25. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    You mean we liked the first chapter of that mess. Meanwhile, the rest of the world thought Risen was a turd from the start. A similar thing is happening with AP.

When the codex isn't being negative, it's being contrarian.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)