Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Mortmal

Arcane
Then you'd better give me a review and impressions soon, cause i am at work and its a bit too visible even for me!

spectre

Arcane
Looking at the screens I felt skeptical, but it seems they're ot doing it justice. Anyways, Downloadan.

A THICK (virtually) 69-page PDF manual. For those who want more than just the tutorials...
:-/

Outmind

Augur
Would be nice to hear from someone who actually played this. The prospect of playing a wizardry-like game again warms my heart, but if there is too much emphasis on "humor", it could put some people, including myself, off

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was somewhat disappointed to find that the demo is virtually identical to the demo I played long ago. I was hoping for some new material to give me a better idea of the game.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I've got a question for those who played through the tower of almost certain doom: Is it a bug that I didn't get the ferro something that is needed to power down the machinery from the ferro something golem? Or should I just get on with the game and maybe search the mines or something? Seemed a bit odd that those same material things were in the same location but somehow not connected. Now I'm feeling ashamed for asking the Codex to hold my hand.... :oops:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Outmind said:
Would be nice to hear from someone who actually played this. The prospect of playing a wizardry-like game again warms my heart, but if there is too much emphasis on "humor", it could put some people, including myself, off
The humour is pretty unobtrusive and you can actually skip all the dialogue if you want. It basically reads like a Codex LP, as someone else mentioned in another thread. Overall it's very linear, although there are a good number of optional quests and dungeons. The interface is kind of old-school in the worst way, though, and it's extremely balanced towards combat - there's no real stealth, puzzle-solving or anything of the sort, although you will at least have to figure out how to get through quests and dungeons yourself, which is refreshing in this age of quest compasses. That said, considering how focused it is on combat, it's also very well designed in this respect, and fairly challenging as well. I'm not too familiar with Wizardry so I can't make a direct comparison, but really, you should just download the demo and give it a try. The rest of the game is very similar to what's in it, just bigger. After the opening, it only gets better.

Angthoron

Arcane
good little toastboy said:
I've got a question for those who played through the tower of almost certain doom: Is it a bug that I didn't get the ferro something that is needed to power down the machinery from the ferro something golem? Or should I just get on with the game and maybe search the mines or something? Seemed a bit odd that those same material things were in the same location but somehow not connected. Now I'm feeling ashamed for asking the Codex to hold my hand.... :oops:

The ferro-something thingie is found on an Iron Golem on one of the middle floors of the tower, either one or two floors down from the corridor with the machine in it. If it isn't anywhere at all, it could be a bug. It's quite important that you power off the machine, or at least steal the skull some other way (not sure if possible?) since that's part of the main quest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've got a question for those who played through the tower of almost certain doom: Is it a bug that I didn't get the ferro something that is needed to power down the machinery from the ferro something golem? Or should I just get on with the game and maybe search the mines or something? Seemed a bit odd that those same material things were in the same location but somehow not connected. Now I'm feeling ashamed for asking the Codex to hold my hand....

Dunno if it's gonna help you now, but the crystal is in a chest behind the door behind the golem.

Anyway chaps, this game is p. cool. Very p. cool, even. Being pretty much forced to playing it semi-ironman also adds a lot of fun and tension, and playing 4 pre-defined characters is not as sucky as I thought it would originally be (but I can already see it's gonna hurt replay value. A lot).

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Thanks for the help guys, I rechecked the tower and every chest multiple times but no dice. Something just bugged out. Started again already. It's not that far into the game anyway.This time I'll just keep a save to fall back to in case of stuff like this.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've heard one or two people talking about the crystal thing on the golem not always spawning properly. You might want to report it on the Rampant Games forum.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not even going to try the demo. I'm going to just out-right buy this. Rampant Games deserves my money. And I voice my opinion with my wallet.

Morkar Left

I tried the demo and the game has charm. Something that is missing from most games of late. The interface needs improvement but it's far away from stopping you to play the game. I will wait till the first patch comes out and then buy the game.

Anybody who already bought it can tell me if the demosavegames are compatible with the full version? Do I have a limited amounts of downloads after buying? And how is copyprotection handled?

BonziBUDDY

Scholar
Ok, when Dragon Age Origins comes out everyone is all over it. Multiple threads at least 20 pages long are made, and lots of derping is to be had. Everyone plays it, most beat it.

Rinse and repeat with DX/Mass Effect/New Vegas.

But when finally an indie rpg comes out which has JUST the kind of combat the codex claims it prefers, turnbased, only one measly thread is made, and doesn't go past the first page or two?

WTF????

This is a 1st person blobber. It's turnbased. It's got detailed character advancement options and lots of spells. Combat is hard.

So why aren't you all over it Codex? Is it because you don't actually care for this sort of game and claim that you, bullshitting just to appear cool? You freely give your money to the AAA devs but don't support the dev making the games you like??

WTF??

Sure Frayed Knights has issues. It doesn't have char gen (big sin I agree). It's got humor.

But those things are minor compared to what it gets right.

So why aren't you supporting the dev? Buy the game, even if you don't play it.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Mainly because pure dungeon crawls RPG's don't interest me in the slightest. Couldn't care less about a game that just throws fight after fight, trap after trap at you with minimal motivation or anything else to keep me interest. Sue me.

And did you just say having humor is a flaw?

Edit: Yes, I am aware of the fact the combat is motivation for some.

BonziBUDDY

Scholar
Humor, as in Frayed Knights, is not for everyone. Many people like their rpg's to be serious. But if you like the humor, it's an additional bonus.

Have you tried playing the demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom