Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freedom And PVP

Andronovo

Learned
I'm looking for an MMO that gives me a level freedom that is uncommon these days. You know what I'm talking about, the ability to build bases wherever I want, (attempt to) kill anyone I want, the sort where I'm not being railroaded. Lots of world PVP is a minimum, extra points for no classes, AND PLEASE GOD NO DULL GRINDFESTS. I would play Life Is Feudal but for it being made by incompetent Slavs.

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'm really having trouble finding something that satisfies me. SATISFY ME. PLEASE.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know, there are shit ton of Survival MMO llike Ark or Conan out there.

But they are grindy. The moment you want to put base building you are limiting yourself to those grindy MMO to begin with.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I'm looking for an MMO that gives me a level freedom that is uncommon these days. You know what I'm talking about, the ability to build bases wherever I want, (attempt to) kill anyone I want, the sort where I'm not being railroaded. Lots of world PVP is a minimum, extra points for no classes, AND PLEASE GOD NO DULL GRINDFESTS. I would play Life Is Feudal but for it being made by incompetent Slavs.

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'm really having trouble finding something that satisfies me. SATISFY ME. PLEASE.

Minecraft Factions

Norfleet

I think the concepts you are asking for are fundamentally incompatible.

An MMO is a persistent game with no end.

Base building is a highly persistent activity that leverages entrenched advantage.

Serious, non-frivolous PvP carries serious consequences for being on the losing end.

All 3 of these stacked together means a game in which the first-movers leverage their entrenched advantage to squash anyone else, which is not a game you want to really be late to the party on.

Andronovo

Learned

Base building is a highly persistent activity that leverages entrenched advantage.

Serious, non-frivolous PvP carries serious consequences for being on the losing end.

All 3 of these stacked together means a game in which the first-movers leverage their entrenched advantage to squash anyone else, which is not a game you want to really be late to the party on.

Darkfall WAS literally all the things I asked for. But I'm not sure if it was good, and I can't figure that out now because it's dead. Except, it might have been a grindfest. I guess I'm willing to live with some amount of grind, as long as we're not talking vanilla WOW levels.

Norfleet

[Hmm....how about Yemen? Or Somalia?
You'll just get killed by the players who are already there, and those guys are brutal. For something a little less hard, you could try Canada. It has the same permadeath mechanic, where if you die in Canada, you die in real life.

Beastro

Arcane
Darkfall WAS literally all the things I asked for. But I'm not sure if it was good, and I can't figure that out now because it's dead. Except, it might have been a grindfest. I guess I'm willing to live with some amount of grind, as long as we're not talking vanilla WOW levels.

It was a grindfest, only it did skills the UO way, so everyone was afk while spamming shit with macros all day long.

Azdul

Magister
Darkfall is not really dead - Darkfall Rise of Agon. And it's main competitor - Mortal Online is also kind of alive. In both cases you can log in for free to see for yourself how alive they really are.

There is also Gloria Victis (Early access, B2P) - which will eventually have free-building. It may be unfinished, but seems to have larger playerbase than LiF, DF or MO.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Mortal Online has horrible combat. Darkfall too.

But yeah, they have strong sandboxy aspects.

But they suck.

Andronovo

Learned
There is also Gloria Victis (Early access, B2P) - which will eventually have free-building. It may be unfinished, but seems to have larger playerbase than LiF, DF or MO.

You know I just kind of assumed Gloria Victis was garbage. Is it in reality NOT shit? If it also as you imply does not recquire a subscription fee that sounds like something I will try.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
EVE has these things but it's boring.

Bester actually darkfall's combat was great but

Darkfall was dead before the founding company went bankrupt and it's even more dead now that two new small teams made their own variants of the game and split the playerbase. It was really fun but, because of lack of specialization, you had the end situation where everybody had max stats in everything and just smashed everyone who didn't. So basically you needed to grind for months to max out everything before you could even think about PVP. I would imagine it's even worse now because I'm sure the 5 people who are still playing on the private servers are max everything.

Andronovo I think your best bet is to, instead of trying to find one game that covers all your bases, play multiple games each of which specialize in fulfilling one of these desires.
Also give Kenshi a shot which is basically a single player version of what you're looking for.

Beastro

Arcane
I hated the grinding in Darkfall. I'd log in and find everyone afk macroing around me.

I did have fun using my skill to punt people into the lava in the orc city, though I wish I'd rolled Dark Elf do that easier in their acid pit city.

Azdul

Magister
You know I just kind of assumed Gloria Victis was garbage. Is it in reality NOT shit? If it also as you imply does not recquire a subscription fee that sounds like something I will try.
It does not require subscription, and you can buy it for 10$ during Steam sales. However it uses Unity engine, and with very small development team it may as well spend another 3 years in Early Access.

All other "sandboxy" MMOs seem to be in some kind of existential crisis right now:
  • Developer of Darkfall: New Dawn was shut down by French court due to unpayed taxes
  • Darkfall: Rise of Agon promised to launch free expansion (Embers of War) long time ago, but development progresses at glacial pace
  • Mortal Online is in maintenance mode, with patches every few months, and they're promising fresh start with Mortal Online 2 on Unreal Engine 4 in the future
  • Albion is no longer solo / small group friendly and is bleeding players
  • Legends of Aria is adding Trammel-like safe zones
  • Ashes of Creation looks more like a scam with each passing day
And it may be a reason why GV has healthy population.

Andronovo

Learned
It does not require subscription, and you can buy it for 10$ during Steam sales. However it uses Unity engine, and with very small development team it may as well spend another 3 years in Early Access.

Hey you can go too wrong for 10 dollarydoos. How frequent are the wipes? Has anyone here really played it more than few hours?

Losing is as much a part of progression as winning is. Not everybody wants a MMORPG open world FFA PvP with no meaningful losses. Many of us play them precisely because we can lose our loot, or for that matter, lose our city.

It's not easy. It's never easy, especially when you lose big. But that's the nature of it. You can go to any of hte multitudes of safety-enforced PvP MMO's, but that won't work for everyone, and I think tyou know that. Who's keeping count though.

I recommend the OP try Darkfall: Rise of Agon:
https://www.riseofagon.com/

It's almost exactly what you're looking for. It originally used the Darkfall codebase, but that was years ago. It has undergone many changes. It's now F2P--it used to require a $10 monthly fee. Grind has been reduced a lot. It's actively being developed. It's not perfect. Its graphics are outdated, for example. Its UI is clunky. But if you really care about gameplay then you'd be willing to make compromises.

Therer'e various PvP MMO's I"ve heard about. You might try Rust or one of its derivatives, like Hurtworld or 7 Days to Die or Dayz, or somehting like Worlds Adrift.

If you're willing to accept a lot of grind there're multitides of (mostly FFA) PvP MMO/MMORPG. Grind is just a common thing in MMO's.

Last edited:

Andronovo

Learned
Does Rise of Agon have enough population for frequent, large, and organized PVP battles? From Youtube it seems like Gloria Victis does which is why it's greatly interesting to me. I'm also not against magic, but I prefer less magical combat as it's more immersive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom