Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

hexer

BTW Epic store page has a shit-ton of cool new screenshots.
The atmosphere is spot on but alas, I shan't cave in
:hahano:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-sinking-city/home

Diesel%2Fproduct%2Fmiddlemist%2Fhome%2FEGS_BIGBEN_TSC_GALLERY04-1920x1080-9b8aa26636880a8e6f09c86a414288183cfad000.jpg

vota DC

Augur
The Epic store decision means nothing to me. Installing another crappy client isn't a concern

Why not? Exclusives are a cancer. The platform is the same, so why doing exclusives? It makes sense for console lesser race to use exclusives to avoid becoming beggars, but what if your client is the shittiest and gets the best games? You get double damage because good games gets maimed and good client lose money.

hexer

Conveniently Call of Cthulhu is on sales this weekend.
Someone's been following the Epic store drama and plotting to provide the alternative fix for Cthulhu addicts :smug:

Longshanks

Augur
The Epic store decision means nothing to me. Installing another crappy client isn't a concern

Why not? Exclusives are a cancer. The platform is the same, so why doing exclusives? It makes sense for console lesser race to use exclusives to avoid becoming beggars, but what if your client is the shittiest and gets the best games? You get double damage because good games gets maimed and good client lose money.
Exclusive in this case means almost nothing to me. For console, sure, I can't play the game if I don't own one. This? I need to install another free client. Big deal. I couldn't care less about Steam "community" or whatever other made up reason people have to be outraged.

It's cool that Steam is now a "good client" in the early days it was the cancer. Let's wait a few years, everyone will be in love with Epic and focus their faux outrage on the next new thing.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Man, I was just looking at this on steam a while ago and thinking "interesting, let's see if there's a codex thread".
Then I forgot about it for a few days and *bam*, Sweeney-ed.

Oh well, whatever.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It makes me wonder how fat you guys must be, refusing to buy a product because it's in another store.
I was ready to make the jump until I saw hexer's link about how the Epic client is riddled with spyware. That seems credible to me and I don't like spyware.

Also I lost 6 pounds since I started my new job, go Zombra!

Longshanks

Augur
It makes me wonder how fat you guys must be, refusing to buy a product because it's in another store.
I was ready to make the jump until I saw hexer's link about how the Epic client is riddled with spyware. That seems credible to me and I don't like spyware.

Also I lost 6 pounds since I started my new job, go Zombra!
I'm not going to try and convince anyone, but that process analysis is naive to say the least, there is very little of concern there. Up to you to decide what you're comfortable with installing, but I'd suggest reading further.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not going to try and convince anyone, but that process analysis is naive to say the least, there is very little of concern there. Up to you to decide what you're comfortable with installing, but I'd suggest reading further.
I'm happy to be talked out of it, after all that was just one source I haven't even bothered to confirm. The question is how much effort it's worth to me to find out THE REAL TRUTH. As of now, people I respect have cast Epic's trustworthiness into question ... what's my motivation to challenge their judgement, other than abstract curiosity?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sinking City Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/we-are-all-living-in-a-lo/ilnkgdigjikkboemdkplidpimdabhnem

Replace the world's leaders names with Cthulhu's Mythos dieties and turn the web into a never ending Lovecraft horror story.
Have you ever read the news and thought to yourself “Well, this is it. We’ve all gone insane!”. If you have, then this plug-in is for you! Turn your online source of helplessness, disappointment, and sadness into a horror Lovecraft story. See just how ridiculous the world actually is.

This plug-in will replace the world’s leaders names with Cthulhu's Mythos deities. All the cult favourites, such as Cthulhu, Azathoth, and Yog-Sothoth are there, and watch them bring chaos (and absurdity) to our lives.

This plug-in is brought to you by Frogwares, the video games studio behind the Lovecraft-inspired investigation game The Sinking City.

KwaKjnSNcKfBEE3mw4D-TiHt9i-QsNW30OoPF3rDXEUs5Z31bRcpXqZ7qroeJu7AH45fwNfgHs4=w640-h400-e365
6zq1tfxin3mLrJZ7juNG50TcmbIf3f5HSrvEToh4tTep4VQ1FUn1taKVo9ye8zrtzIniZ9cp=w640-h400-e365

The Sinking City @ PAX East – Hands on impressions

Plunge yourself into insanity, as you strive to unravel the mystery of Oakmont

What a time to be a fan of H.P Lovecraft’s work and mythos. Walking around the convention center at Penny-Arcade East it was apparent Lovecraft and gothic settings are back, and in full force. But among the games that used a gothic setting and hinted at Old Gods behind the scenes, one game in particular embraced H.P Lovecraft’s world and seeks to expand upon the mythos. The Sinking City, the new Lovecraft inspired action/investigation game published by Bigben Interaction and developed by Frogwares, looks to delve the player into the mystery that surrounds Oakmont, a coastal Massachusetts city with a strong fishing economy and growing cityscape.

In talking with the team, they felt there was opportunity to dive deeper into the world of Lovecraft and expand it by introducing a new town, Oakmont. This new town enables The Sinking City to make references to familiar Lovecraft characters while still feeling fresh. The team cites Call of Cthuhlu and The Dunwich Horror as inspiration, but stressed that their narrative is outside of the stories that H.P Lovecraft created. As I sat down to play the demo, I was given a briefing of who I was playing and a sliver of his motivations. Our hero is Charles Reed, a private investigator who is tormented by horrific visions and dreams. Reed hopes that Oakmont holds the key to easing these visions, but as he arrives, he finds a greater mystery is about to unfold.

My hands-on session started with Reed awakening from a horrific dream in the cabin of a ship. Once in control I was able to take photographs to get additional lore as well as local insight. The gameplay is a third person action adventure game with a focus on investigation. I found myself looking in every nook in cranny to make sure I found all photos, clues, and collectibles. Soon after disembarking the ship I was approached by Robert Throgmorton, a powerful local Oakmont figure. From this interaction I learned that refugees from Innsmouth have found their way to Oakmont and this is causing some friction. The conversation had many branching dialog options allowing me to approach Reed in my own way. A cold PI or a man willing to lend his set of skills to the Oakmont residents. This made me immediately want to explore the dialog options and learn as much about the setting as possible. Reed learns of a crime scene and puts his PI skills to work.

The investigation is where the demo truly shines. The setting, dialog, and subtle nods to the works that inspired it sucked me in, but the gameplay kept me wanting more. In the investigation Reed uses his “Mind’s Eye” and “Retrocognition” to see clues and help recreate the events that transpired. These gameplay mechanics lean into the supernatural elements of Lovecraft while making the player feel like a true detective. My favorite aspect of these mechanic is that it is tied to a sanity meter. As that meter continues to dwindle certain visual effects as well as changes to Charles Reed occur. I will not spoil one, but as the meter dwindle an action occurred that had myself and the audience watching gasp. Sanity is core to Lovecraft and the addition of this mechanic was a welcomed sight.

The hands-on session left me wanting more and asking questions about the characters I had interacted with as well as questions around Oakmont as a whole. The Sinking City is set to release this June and I am and eagerly awaiting to see what else Oakmont has lying behind the scenes.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/04/01/the-sinking-city-pax-east-hands-on-impressions/

The Sinking City – PAX East Preview

The Sinking City is an open world investigation game set in the 1920s. You play as a private eye exploring the strange happenings of a city called Oakmont. It seems as though this sinking town has not only affected your mind, but the minds of others too. Crazy and unexplainable things are happening and you are tasked to get to the bottom of them.

The game is heavily inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and it shows. The atmosphere was dingy and ominous. The sinking town seems to be filled with strange monsters and gruff locals around every bend.

Our playthrough had us helping a being that strongly resembled a monkey find someone who had gone missing. We got some very heavy L.A. Noire vibes at this point. That is not only very much a compliment, but I think The Sinking City takes the investigation a step further. While uncovering clues you started to piece together a scene that becomes animated right in front of your eyes. By the end, you practically watch the whole thing unfold as if you were there at the time of the incident. Furthering your investigation fills in parts of your menu that you then can piece together with other bits of evidence to help uncover the truth.

The NPCs in this game were not only interesting to look at but their interactions were engaging. The dialogue actual made me want to hear more. I suspect that, like other similar games, some of your dialogue chooses will affect the outcome of your investigations.

The combat was minimal but felt up to standard. Bullets were scarce and seemed to be more of a last resort. Knowing I had a pistol put my mind at ease, if only slightly.

The game will come with a standard $60 price tag but we don’t think it will have any issues being considered a value. The developers said there was easily 30 hours of content.

The Sinking City has a lot to offer and I will eagerly be awaiting the June 2019 release date.

https://www.handsomephantom.com/the-sinking-city-pax-east-preview/

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
She said something bad about Epic I bet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom